Sold 50 Steers Today

Help Support CattleToday:

Quickdraw Farm

Reaction score
The following post, with the exception of the results from today's calf sales, is solely my opinion. And I will be the very first to admit my opinion isn't worth much, but here goes nonetheless.
We are blessed! Are feeder calves bringing what they did at the beginning of the year? Nope! Are we blessed they are still bringing a nice price? You betcha! My trailer will hold twenty calves weighing in the 500 pound range. A few years ago when I headed to the sale barn with a load of 20 feeder calves I could count on leaving with a check for approximately $10,000. Here is what happened today:
Sold - 50 calves (41 steers and 9 heifers)
Average weight - 585
Gross amount of check - $49,888.74
Deductions (includes hauling) - $2,595.10
Amount of check - $47,293.64

I walked away with $945 each for my calves. I am pleased. And I have 68 more I will be taking in January, I hope they do as well.
Thank you for reading my post and God Bless

I am real glad you are happy but thats only 20,000 or so less than they would have brought if they had stayed where they were. Good times are over I guess.

Good times pass........Bad times pass.........Enjoy them both, for what they are.

I like your way of looking at it, I buy calves every week so I need the market to work with me a little, but as far as the calves off my cows I agree completely with you. I sold alot of good 5wt steers for 70 cents to 1$ a pound about 7 years ago and I can live with double that now and be happy.

You did good, it could have been a whole lot worse. The number one black steers in bowling green ky weighing 590 only brought 147 today. Some places the market was real bad today.

Bigfoot":2syx1dnf said:
Good times pass........Bad times pass.........Enjoy them both, for what they are.
I like your outlook Bigfoot. My Daddy has had cattle for 60+ years. He has always told me "if you like messin' with them (cows) you can usually make a little bit on them, if you don't like them you should leave them alone". Another quote from my Daddy is "I've sold cows many years to pay for a bad crop of cotton, peanuts or soybeans, but I've never sold any beans, peanuts, or cotton to pay for a bad crop of calves". Those quotes mean a lot to me, they came straight from life lessons of a lifelong farmer. Anyway, thank you all for replying to my post.

I'm taking 20 calves to the market Thursday. With the market dropped 22 cents in the last week and a half...I ain't really feeling that blessing like I should be.

Quickdraw Farm":2fsr2uqx said:
Bigfoot":2fsr2uqx said:
I like your outlook Bigfoot. My Daddy has had cattle for 60+ years. He has always told me "if you like messin' with them (cows) you can usually make a little bit on them, if you don't like them you should leave them alone". Another quote from my Daddy is "I've sold cows many years to pay for a bad crop of cotton, peanuts or soybeans, but I've never sold any beans, peanuts, or cotton to pay for a bad crop of calves". Those quotes mean a lot to me, they came straight from life lessons of a lifelong farmer. Anyway, thank you all for replying to my post.

Your daddy sounds like a wise man. Congratulations and wish you continued success when you sell the other group! :tiphat:

They were selling down today. I bought 18 nice heifers for $1.35 that averaged 523 lbs. Another year it wouldn't surprise me if they are a buck a pound.

I listened to the marketing gods on Saturday TV:

One guy said we should watch the market closely, and he did not know how high was a high price. (I hope he is not being "highly" paid.)

The other guy said he did not know if the cattle market would go up or down next week, but that it would be a (W) bottom in early December, and producers should stay current with their marketing until there is a (profitable) hedging opportunity.

There you go. Now we all know. :nod:

Latest posts