Solar Powered Well Pump

Help Support CattleToday:

ranch56

Reaction score
Has anybody used one of the solar powered well pump systems sold by www.solarpoweredwellpumpkits.com
I am looking to replace an older pump with solar power and the kits they have look like a good price
Any advise you can give would be great

I have to bite my tongue every time this question comes up. Things just don't add up. First, the efficiency of the panel (any panel) will be < 40% with all things that effect efficiency at the max like pointing direction, tracking the sun, clarity of the panel glass, heat sinking, etc, etc, etc. Second, the output of the pump is only about 2GPM which is OK if you are filling a water container for your cattle and you've got all day (full sun) to do it. Third, you should probably consider using two 12V batteries as a backup because you will not be able to get significant amounts of water during the peak solar day to do you any good. In other words you will most likely use your solar panel to charge your batteries rather than operating the pump. (Run the pump at night off the batteries and charge the batteries off the solar panel during the day. Even then you should use a timer so that the batteries don't run completely down) Last, high efficient solar panels are very expensive so I doubt you will be getting the latest design, high efficiency panels for the price listed in your link.

Good luck and welcome to CT

I have not used any of their systems. The prices seem unusually low. I have a Grundfos system that was double what this costs even 8 years ago. I would check out who makes their pumps and solar panels.

The Coleman chargers are affordable. You can buy 3 for around $300. Buy an inverter for around $80. Buy a couple of deep cycle batteries. Then you have to have an electric pump that suits your well or water source.

Solar makes sense if you do not have power. It cost me $11,500 just to get the power company to run power to my new wellhouse and it wasn't that far from their poles.

We plan on getting one of the systems and will send an update after we have it installed

Latest posts