Solar Power Fence Chargers, any good ones?

Help Support CattleToday:

midtncattle

Reaction score
Wanting to try a solar powered charger to heat cross fence and as a extra barrier on my barb wire. Anybody reccommend one brand and model?

We have a Gallagher and haven't had any troubles. We throw up one wire on the top of out barbed wire fence that borders the neighbors corn field and it sure keeps them from leaning over. Turns a pretty crummy fence into a good one real quick.

We use these...or something very similar. They snap right onto barbed wire fence and we leave the wire and these insulators up year-round. Very Fast to put up/take down. I would also suggest getting a reel if you plan on taking the wire down or using it in multiple places. makes quick work of it.

http://www.kencove.com/fence/Offsets_detail_I6X.php

midtncattle":km6119ua said:
Wanting to try a solar powered charger to heat cross fence and as a extra barrier on my barb wire. Anybody reccommend one brand and model?

midtncattle, I have been using a 12v Patriot that I bought at CO-OP three years ago. I have it powering 5 strands of high tensile on a cross fence. That sucker is HOT! Word of warning however........don't put it near a road or easy access. Some knuckle-head will steal it.

Already thought about that. Do you experience any problems keeping a charge in winter?

I have had them that were hot as a firecracker-------until a long cloudy/rainy spell. Gave up on them.

never seen any of the battery ones, solar or others, that ever had any juice that compared to electric. ask how many joules they put out, i like at least 6

midtncattle":3jg78huh said:
Already thought about that. Do you experience any problems keeping a charge in winter?
I have never had a problem with it over the winter of during cloudy spells. I put the charger in the center of the fence right in the middle of the field. There it is never in a shadow during daylight hours. I know my cows are fence broke and never test it. The newborn calves do.................once.

HOSS":r5q22xzw said:
midtncattle":r5q22xzw said:
I have never had a problem with it over the winter of during cloudy spells. I put the charger in the center of the fence right in the middle of the field. There it is never in a shadow during daylight hours. I know my cows are fence broke and never test it. The newborn calves do.................once.

i sell the patriot and have had quite a few defects, although they have improved the quality recently.
the patriot ps-15 is speedrites cheaper version of the s500 speedrite(much better quality but 100.00 or so higher)
the parmak mag-12-sp is still in my opinion the best( i have sold 1000's over the years)
the solar panel charges a battery that powers the fence and parmak claims it will hold a charge for 21 days in total darkness.(i don't know as i have never seen it when the sun didn't rise)
so the cloudy days low/no power is BS.
the mag-12-uo is unit only with no solar panel or battery
the mag-12-sp is solar powered with solar panel and battery
everything is the same whether it is hooked to a car battery or the sealed sp battery the output is the same.
i sell lots of these is sw oklahoma for yearlings on wheat pasture(some pastures are several sections) every year and they work really well

cross_7":1hmm4puh said:
HOSS":1hmm4puh said:
midtncattle":1hmm4puh said:

the parmak mag-12-sp is still in my opinion the best( i have sold 1000's over the years)
the solar panel charges a battery that powers the fence and parmak claims it will hold a charge for 21 days in total darkness.(i don't know as i have never seen it when the sun didn't rise)
so the cloudy days low/no power is BS.

Ditto on the Parmark Mag 12. Have used lots of different fencers since 1985 and this is my top choice.

Anybody use a solar panel to charge a battery to power high tensile? We have a set up like that on a place we bought. It is hot enough to work but I would like hotter fence as we are starting to use it as HT as perimeter fencing. Have HT around the calving lots at the house and they are charged with a 110v Zareba and it is hot enough that newborn calves won't go through it.

Jake":1gk756nr said:
Anybody use a solar panel to charge a battery to power high tensile? We have a set up like that on a place we bought. It is hot enough to work but I would like hotter fence as we are starting to use it as HT as perimeter fencing. Have HT around the calving lots at the house and they are charged with a 110v Zareba and it is hot enough that newborn calves won't go through it.
At the old farm that was how we were set up. A Gallgher with a "good" deep cycle battery and the solar panel that came with the charger. Powered about 2 miles of high tensile plus a bunch of 9 conductor poly wire division fences.
Worked great for years till we moved to this farm. Still use it for temp fences in places.

I think I'm going to end up splitting the fence with two chargers, one on the perimeter and one on the subdivision fences. There is about 3 miles of three to five wire fence on it. The corn on the opposite side of the fence makes me want some extra juice.

Jake":3vpsqvjz said:
I think I'm going to end up splitting the fence with two chargers, one on the perimeter and one on the subdivision fences. There is about 3 miles of three to five wire fence on it. The corn on the opposite side of the fence makes me want some extra juice.
Our cross fences are powered off of the perimeter fence and the polywire is enough to keep the bulls from visiting hot heifers/cows on the other side of the fence

We use solar speedrites, the 1000 model to keep our bulls in with a single strand all winter. One fencer was doing three pens covering 75 acres. use a marine deep cycle battery and it is always charged. You can get a bigger fencer and put a bigger solar panel on it and it could do all of that area for you. Got mine through Zeitlow in Mac. I have 2 year olds and yearlings across from each other and had no problems. I do have a 15 foot lane between them.

Jeff

I've used about everything over the years. From transformers off old neon lights up to the current ones on 110 chargers. There are several good choices in 12v solar chargers. In my experience I've had the best results with Gallaghers. They have a long life and are very dependable. The battery and solar panel are critical in solar chargers.