One of the good ones

Help Support CattleToday:

Backbone Ranch

Reaction score
Well, the very first cow, WR Ruby, that I bought when I was 12 years old will be going to the sale barn at the end of the week. She has been a good one for us. She was born in the fall of 2008 in Missouri, and I purchased her after she had her first calf back in 2011. She has not missed a beat until this year. She had a wonderful disposition, was a terrific milker, always maintained great condition, and raised top calves year after year. The majority of her calves were bulls, but we do have two of her daughters in the herd currently and one of her sons is our primary herdsire. Quite a bit of the herd will be her descendants within the next couple years, so her legacy will continue.
WR Ruby is pictured here at 4 1/2 years
IMG_1860.JPG

Her 2013 heifer calf at weaning
IMG_3036.JPG

BB Ruby: 2016 heifer pictured at 20 months of age
BB Ruby (20 months).jpg

WR Ruby with her 2017 bull calf
WR Ruby with 2017 Bull.jpg

BB Backbone's General: Her 2015 bull, pictured at 6 years of age.
BB Backbone's General (6 years).jpg

Hard to let the good ones go. Glad you got a couple daughters and shared the genetics of her Marshall son. We have another General calf due around 1/10. Hoping for a heifer this time!

We have started just butchering the older cows instead of shipping them. The boneless steaks are still good (ribeye, fillets, carne asada, and tenderloin plus cube steaks), and burger is in high demand.

Hard to let the good ones go. Glad you got a couple daughters and shared the genetics of her Marshall son. We have another General calf due around 1/10. Hoping for a heifer this time!

We have started just butchering the older cows instead of shipping them. The boneless steaks are still good (ribeye, fillets, carne asada, and tenderloin plus cube steaks), and burger is in high demand.
I would agree with that, especially if just one or two. They have earned a less stressful end.

Latest posts