Sod Seeding with no till drill

Help Support CattleToday:

Flatbroke

Reaction score
Has anyone had luck with renovating an old pasture using a no till drill (the food plot kind) and seeding right into the old sod. I have a friend that says it will not work and the soil needs to be completely worked to get any thing to grow.. spray out till, till again and then seed etc. that would be a considerable expense. I just want to improve the tired old pasture. Any thoughts :cowboy:

I no till some every fall. Seems like I have better luck in the fall. I have no plows, disc, anything for tillage so it is in the sod for me always. I have considered spraying to kill everything and no tilling into the sod but have not done it yet.

I redone some pasture last year around the end of April. I sprayed the pasture to kill everything then used a drill and planted orchard grass and clover. I had good results.

pricefarm":ghkgqtf4 said:
I redone some pasture last year around the end of April. I sprayed the pasture to kill everything then used a drill and planted orchard grass and clover. I had good results.
I think I will try that this year. Did you just spray once with roundup?

I used round up and 24d mixed and just sprayed once. I waited till everything was good and brown the. Drilled the seed.

No-till sure helps hold in ground moisture, and cut down on working up old weed seeds. We just about have to no-till around here since waterhemp has gotten so bad, unless your planting corn or sudan.

I've done it with good success except timothy. That stuff never seems to come up.

Fescue, orchard grass, clover, and sorghum-sudan all seem to come up well here with a no till drill. Also wheat does nicely with it but I believe if you broadcast that stuff it will come up anywhere.

Thanks for all the input. I thought it odd that these no till drill food plot machines would even be made if they didn't work. I hope to get some increase out of the old pasture by planting hay barley, winter peas, perennial rye grass, some forage radish and purple top turnips and a little sweet clover. It is dry here this spring and the season is short in Montana so hope to at least get back the costs in the pasture growth. Hope for the best.

It will work best in shorter grass. Seems if the existing grass is too tall it shades the new seedlings and they don;t do well.

Flatbroke":d7lw8gp1 said:
Has anyone had luck with renovating an old pasture using a no till drill (the food plot kind) and seeding right into the old sod. :cowboy:

No consistent results due to lots of uncontrolled variables.
Depends greatly on how open the old sod is, how much it rains, the time of year, and the vigor of what you are seeding.

best thing for using a no till w/ grass seed is:

try to wait a day before it rains to put the seed out. I put it out last year and it was supposed to rain. it didn't. 3 weeks later no rain. the seed kept going into the ground farther and farther and i only had about 10% of the stand even come in..

don't til it into the ground.. just barely let the discs skim the surface. if your planting clover, pull the hoses off the clover box so it just falls in front of the press wheels. or broadcast the clover before you no til.

i suggest looking into a Brillion seeder instead of a no til.

Latest posts