So what is the best dart rifle?

Help Support CattleToday:

ebkyle2

Reaction score
I have been thinking about a dart gun to treat cattle for a while and after reading the previous post I have decided to get one.

I know I want a rifle.Are there any other companies besides Pneu-dart and Cap-Chur

My question is, which one is the best/easiest to use/most reliable, etc.

As far as propellant, is co2, air or 22 blanks the way to go.

I wouldn't mainly be using it to treat calves or other things where only one dart is needed to deliver the right amount of medicine.

Thanks

I have the cap-chur rifle co2. I tranqulize cattle for the public, I dont have a problem with it. I keep a extra pack of co2 cartriges on hand, you can get about ten or twelve good shots out of two cartriges. I nearly wore mine out when kill cows went so high. I was catching every crazy cow, calf, or bull in three countys. The gun it's self is not that expensive, But I would look at the price of the darts, Their not cheap, or at least for what I do I have to have several of each size.I loose more than my share. I dont know about the medicine darts, you shoot the cow when they hit they inject the meds and they fall out, so I'd think there'd be a good chance of loseing them. I'd check the price on the darts. There's also a 25$ hazard charge for the cap-chur charges for the rifle.

I have the cap-chur rifle co2. I tranqulize cattle for the public, I dont have a problem with it. I keep a extra pack of co2 cartriges on hand, you can get about ten or twelve good shots out of two cartriges. I nearly wore mine out when kill cows went so high. I was catching every crazy cow, calf, or bull in three countys. The gun it's self is not that expensive, But I would look at the price of the darts, Their not cheap, or at least for what I do I have to have several of each size.I loose more than my share. I dont know about the medicine darts, you shoot the cow when they hit they inject the meds and they fall out, so I'd think there'd be a good chance of loseing them. I'd check the price on the darts. There's also a 25$ hazard charge for the cap-chur charges for the rifle.
I ordered a 22 and the charge would not go off half of the time using a 15 cc after several days of this I called Cap Chur and they recommended the CO2 Riffle instead of the 22 so I'm changing out to a CO2

Cap Chur. Haven't used it much. Used it to help people with problem cows, last time I used it for myself was two darts for a pinkeye case in a rent pasture with subpar facilities. Second shot was probably 25-30 yards.

We have the Pneu dart.. pump up. little to go wrong, very accurate, have never found a dart not penetrating and delivering meds... don't have to keep buying the CO2....
Last year darts were hard to come by for awhile... don't want to worry about if we can get the CO2 cartridge on top of that.

Pneu dart. Darts are still scarce, though. I've thought about a cap chur pistol style. I shoot most of mine from the truck seat, so that'd be a little more nimble

That is true. But I'm afraid he'd put a fella to work! I checked at my co-op last week and they said they had placed an order in January and it was still pending. Getting a similar story from my other local source. I hope the surgery went well, Kenny.

That is true. But I'm afraid he'd put a fella to work! I checked at my co-op last week and they said they had placed an order in January and it was still pending. Getting a similar story from my other local source. I hope the surgery went well, Kenny.
It went great. I do have plenty of darts if you need them and will be in Johnson City July 12th for post op follow up. I can bring a few boxes of darts with me if you need them.

I ordered a 22 and the charge would not go off half of the time using a 15 cc after several days of this I called Cap Chur and they recommended the CO2 Riffle instead of the 22 so I'm changing out to a CO2
I have since figured out that if your using a 15 or 20 cc reusable dart you must use the higher charge 22 blank to set off the charge that is in the needle, 22 is working fine for me now I'm sending back the CO2 gun.

Latest posts