so much water...

Help Support CattleToday:

pbnewbie

Reaction score
I was planning on starting my cattle herd this spring, but it started raining and I haven't been able to get hay yet. It got so wet that I was afraid of ending up with cows in the mud and ponds. So, I waited. Now, we're starting to dry out some. This might be a really stupid question, but I have a 10 acre plot that used to be a horse pasture. It's safe enough (no hazards for the cows, like ponds) that I have cut it in the past with my zero mower. I'd like to start the herd (2-3 cows) on this pasture. Right now the grass (and weeds) are pretty high (at least 2-3 feet). This might be a really stupid question, but I've never seen cows in really high grass before. Are there any health issues with putting cows in a high grass situation, or will they just eat and be happy???

Possible eye irritation which may or may not increase the likelyhood of pinkeye.

there's all kinds of stuff out there. There's tons of white clover, I think wild oats, bermuda....I would say mostly clover and bermuda. There are some broad leaf weeds out there, but I don't know their names. The whole pasture was looking better before all the rain. It was a field of clover. But now, it's thick with clover, pretty sure it's wild oats, and bermuda.

could you please send some that rain to middle Tn.

Believe me, I hear ya. We were in a severe drought for the last several years. I had to sell my cattle last year because of it.

I don't think that's clover.. clover has already died out for the summer.

Why don't you take a couple of close up pics and post them? You need to correctly identify what exactly is in the pasture.

TheBullLady":blydaqoa said:
Why don't you take a couple of close up pics and post them? You need to correctly identify what exactly is in the pasture.

Excellent idea. And please take a pic of the rain, I've forgotten what it looks like.

cfpinz

pbnewbie":1q55ffui said:
Right now the grass (and weeds) are pretty high (at least 2-3 feet). Are there any health issues with putting cows in a high grass situation, or will they just eat and be happy???

I'm not sure if Bermuda is one of these, but some grasses become tough as they get taller and the cows won't readily eat them.

tncattle":26163rww said:
could you please send some that rain to middle Tn.

Boy is it, I have an uncle in Mt. Juliet, last year he got 43 rolls off of a 30 acre alfalfa field in one cutting. This year he's cut it twice and only got 31 rolls. Things are desperate. I've got a couple of people near me (Texarkana) that will have some hay for sale, of course you'll have to ship it. Good luck!!

Here's the pasture I want to use for my cows. I have other acreage, but I haven't been able to check the fences all summer with all the rain. This pasture is close to the house and very safe. As far as I can tell, there's still clover in there, I think wild oats, and some sort of broad leaf weed....

I've never inserted pics on this forum, so here goes...

http://cattletoday.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6741&cat=500&ppuser=6317

http://cattletoday.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6740&cat=500&ppuser=6317

http://cattletoday.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6738&cat=500&ppuser=6317

http://cattletoday.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6737&cat=500&ppuser=6317

http://cattletoday.com/photos/showphoto.php?photo=6739&cat=500&ppuser=6317

pbnewbie":6t9rjad1 said:
Here's the pasture I want to use for my cows. I have other acreage, but I haven't been able to check the fences all summer with all the rain. This pasture is close to the house and very safe. As far as I can tell, there's still clover in there, I think wild oats, and some sort of broad leaf weed....

I've never inserted pics on this forum, so here goes...

IM000206.jpg

IM000205.jpg

IM000203.jpg

IM000202.jpg

IM000204.jpg

I don't see anything that looks like clover in there. Bahia grass, and weeds.

Here's the thing, just because you have tall grass doesn't necessarily mean they'll eat it. They like the small, tender shoots to plants, not the long stemmy parts. If you were to mow the pasture, and put cows out in say, two weeks, you'd have a better chance of them actually eating some of that, before it matures.

I think it's hard to see the clover because it's covered up by the grass.

Second thought....

I went to Tractor Supply yesterday and discovered that the cost of steamed oats that I sometimes use for my horses has doubled in price. I couldn't believe it. I asked the person working there if the price was correct, and he said yes. He also said that anything having to do with feed was going through the roof because of the corn situation and ethanol. So, if the price of feed is going to double, HOW are ranchers going to be able to stay in business? This is a serious question for me because I have yet to make the investment, even though I have the acreage. I would like any and all serious replies because I'm seriously considering selling off the surplus acreage and calling it a day.

Any thoughts???

Latest posts