Snowmageddon 2011 begins

Help Support CattleToday:

I'll trade you.....

Wind Chill Warning 2 for:
R.M. of Mankota including Mankota and Ferland
ISSUED BY ENVIRONMENT CANADA AT 4:25 AM CST Tuesday 1 February 2011
Summary
Wind chill values in the -40 to -50 range this morning. This is a warning that extreme wind chill conditions are imminent or occurring in these regions. Monitor weather conditions..Listen for updated statements.

Details
An Arctic ridge of high pressure is causing temperatures to fall into the minus thirties over most of Southern Saskatchewan this morning. This in combination, with wind speeds of 15 to 20 km/h, is creating wind chill values of -40 to -50 at numerous locations. These extreme wind chill values are expected to gradually moderate later this morning as temperatures rise. At these extreme wind chill values frostbite on exposed skin may occur in less than 10 minutes.

Please refer to the latest public forecasts for further details.

On the plus side it is supposed to get near the freezing for the weekend.

Saw this morning: St. Louis, MO temperature 20 degrees F... with wind chill -2 to -20 degrees F... and ice on the roads.

I'd stay home and sit tight to ride rhrough the storm!

Just made it home from work. If I had waited another hour I dont think I would have made it home. I am always the one who says it cant be that bad. Well a couple 4 feet drifts and 1 hour later I made my 20 minute trip to home.

Gotta love this Missouri weather.....50 degrees and sunny 3 days ago and now 19 degrees with whiteout conditions. about 12 inches of snow so far in Miller county with 2 foot drifts. Expecting another 8-10 inches with 30-40 mph winds.

I also realize this is a typical winter day for some of you guys up north, but us wimps in the midwest just aren't used to this. Last time I can remember a snow like this I was 5 and we burroughed tunnels in the 2 feet of snow that we got. :lol:

According to MODOT I-44 will be closed from Springfield to the OK line for 96 hours and the same with parts of I-70. A lot of the interstates show closed until further notice.

dun":gh2iciw5 said:
According to MODOT I-44 will be closed from Springfield to the OK line for 96 hours and the same with parts of I-70. A lot of the interstates show closed until further notice.
They closed 44 because it has been closed in Oklahoma all day and vehicles are just backed up sitting on the interstate

Angus Cowman":3uli75wa said:
dun":3uli75wa said:
They closed 44 because it has been closed in Oklahoma all day and vehicles are just backed up sitting on the interstate

Lots of winter driving open and available in Minnesota. Just give them an ice fishing rod and send them north.

P.S. I need someone with front wheel assist to feed hay. :help:

They were wrong on our forecast, thank God. We didn't get near the snow or wind. Very glad about that, as we've have 60" of snow so far this winter.

We ended up with 16 inches of snow lots of 4 and 5 foot drifts low tonight -5. High of 10 tomorrow with a -25 wind chill. I know you folks up north are saying that's nothing but for Oklahoma that is a lot of snow and extremely cold.

Santas and Duhram Reds":1y1hrnni said:
they have upped our accumulation prediction to 28 inches.
I hadn't heard that, and wish I hadn't. We all know Aug State Fair time it will be hot!!! good luck to us all!!! L Day

Reminds me of last year here, we had two of those storms. Total snowfall for the year was 72" to 75" depending on which neighbor you talk to. So far this year we've had 11", more than enough.

I just drove from Wisconsin into N Illinois and the last few miles were incredible. The North-south rural roads have 45 mph East to West winds blowing snow across. Visibility is near zero. Then if you have some trees or a house on the east side there are suddenly large drifts across the road. There is no sense to plowing it until the winds calm down.

Forecast to be like this until tomorrow afternoon. If you slide or drive into a ditch you are likely to have your car buried. No tow trucks available until morning. I don't see how a police car or an ambulance could even get to an accident in any reasonable amount of time.

The north-south roads especially SHOULD be closed...

Stay safe, stay home or wherever you are.

Jim

Pics my daughter took. She cant stay still and wanted to go outside.

homecoming2011017.jpg

homecoming2011025.jpg

homecoming2011015.jpg

caught in the middle of this snow band looks like 24 inches outside looks like its starting to stop at 1045pm

We are in west central ohio & got Freezing rain. Alot of it. The trees & power lines are sagging.Thank goodness this evening was more sleet but is is tuning to freezing rain again. news just said 5500 out of electric in Dayton Area.We are Lucky so far only was out for 1 minute,but the wind is supposed to pick up. Couldn't hardly get the barn doors open tonight, tomorrow will be a real treat. :cboy:

Latest posts