Snowmageddon 2011 begins

Help Support CattleToday:

We've got about a foot and a half of snow so far, about -10 celcius with winds up to 50 km/h, gusting to 70 km/h later today. Snow is still coming and going, they pulled our plows through the night, and they have just started going back out now. Not sure whether I'm going to try and go to work today or not.

We are -24F this morning and 2in of snow. DAMMMMMMMM it is cold. Could be worse though no wind to speak of. I just received an email from my buddy in Huron SD he says they have from 4 to 8 feet of snow and their township tells them they are broke so no plowing for the foreseeable future.

3waycross":3prpx4kc said:
We are -24F this morning and 2in of snow. DAMMMMMMMM it is cold. Could be worse though no wind to speak of. I just received an email from my buddy in Huron SD he says they have from 4 to 8 feet of snow and their township tells them they are broke so no plowing for the foreseeable future.
Watchign the weather early this morning you folks had some of the lowest temps. in the country 3way. Worried about your wife having to go out in this stuff to get firewood. :mrgreen: If you REALLY loved her you'd move the wood pile so you wouldn't have to watch her. :lol2:

Got dug out and was able to get to cows. I cant get to the hay to feed the cows yet but they have enough for the weekend. Here is a pic on the way to the farm.

0203111544b9587707.jpg

Got to where I can check the cows and bladed a path through part of the field. Have a heifer due the 11th (first of the year, the rest start in March). Hope she decides to calve near a path or else she is on her own. Not much else I can do right now. Next project is finding the water tub in the corral so I can give the calves some water this weekend. They have been eating snow so far.

JHH":pybodvpl said:
Got dug out and was able to get to cows. I cant get to the hay to feed the cows yet but they have enough for the weekend. Here is a pic on the way to the farm.

0203111544b9587707.jpg

Why is the snow drifted /dumped right in that spot?

3waycross":1d49i1pm said:

no plowing down here in the tulsa area either. the side streets in the city aren't even passable and forget about the country roads. they're officially saying all the equpment is tied up, but i suspect lack of funding also. schools are all closed for no other reason than the roads are not passable.

I know that this is normal for the folks up north but it sure isn;t for us:
B-north.jpg

Kingfisher":ojz5sp0o said:
JHH":ojz5sp0o said:

0203111544b9587707.jpg

Why is the snow drifted /dumped right in that spot?

It was drifted that high. Had to use a tractor and loader to get a path through. There is a bank on the right side of the truck and I guess it just kept piling up right there. It always drifts there.

JHH":1wdbd03x said:

0203111544b9587707.jpg

That looks like our driveway last year, took me 4 hours to go 1/2 mile!

You guys have my sympathy. I find that setting the blade at an angle on the back and plowing a path down and back across the side of a southern facing hill keeps the cows mighty happy. Last year the sides of my hills looked like mazes, the calves loved them.

dun":300e51o9 said:
B-north.jpg

How deep was it in the "fun" dip in the road that's a couple miles up from yall's house? The one that makes your stomach sink when you hit it just right.

we actually lucked out in all this. got round -30 with wind for 3 or 4 days but didnt get alot of snow. enough to get 4ft drifts on the roads and in pasture but to us here in SD if this the worse it gets we call it easy winter.

cfpinz":2aqyf3fu said:
dun":2aqyf3fu said:
B-north.jpg

How deep was it in the "fun" dip in the road that's a couple miles up from yall's house? The one that makes your stomach sink when you hit it just right.
The drifts on the side were only about 5 feet but the road was just like this.

our roads we plow ourselves. they are dirt roads though. all highway done by county. so one ya get the snow in late oct. you either have snow packed roads or muddy when we get our 40 degree day out of no were. i do feel for ya folks though specially if ya aint used to puttin up with it all winter. makes it 10 times worse than if its normal for ya.

Lon":s2m0h107 said:
our roads we plow ourselves. they are dirt roads though. all highway done by county. so one ya get the snow in late oct. you either have snow packed roads or muddy when we get our 40 degree day out of no were. i do feel for ya folks though specially if ya aint used to puttin up with it all winter. makes it 10 times worse than if its normal for ya.
The only good part of it is that it;s still new enough of a deal that most (not all) people are driving safely on it. Another week and it looks like it will be at least another week before it thaws, and they'll be driving like idiots

JHH":u84ws804 said:

0203111544b9587707.jpg
Don't thet have blowers there? Pushing the snow up along the side of the road like that would be disasterous here. That would be drifted back shut every 20 minutes.

bannedagain":sgn6o7jk said:
Don't thet have blowers there? Pushing the snow up along the side of the road like that would be disasterous here. That would be drifted back shut every 20 minutes.

No blowers. We havent had a snow like this since 1979. We typically get a few good snows but not 18 inches in one night.

Yes it will drift back if the wind picks back up

Lon":2tph3ffv said:
This is a paved county road. They gave it a lick and a promise and this is the results. Didn;t even scatter cinders on the hills like they usually do.

Latest posts