Murray Greys in Oregon calving season begins!

Help Support CattleToday:

TwoByrdsMG

Reaction score
Two Byrds Fantom, 1 week old
[image]75[/image]
Two Byrds Fantom, 1 month old
[image]76[/image] [image]62[/image]
Windy Acres Cleo's Romance due in 2 weeks
[image]77[/image]

Many others are early spring. I need to move up my schedule a little on some. Plus raising up quite a few heifers this year so next season we will have (hopefully) 12 registered calves on the ground.

Fantom looks pretty stout for a calf of his age. We have never used him, but I have always liked the looks of Gentle Acres Trojan. Are you expecting any AI calves?

Backbone Ranch":1kerr2cx said:
Fantom looks pretty stout for a calf of his age. We have never used him, but I have always liked the looks of Gentle Acres Trojan. Are you expecting any AI calves?

We used Eagles Run Just Because also. We wanted to see if he will be a heifer bull or not before using him on others.

We only AI'd one other to Lilyvale Dynamic but she didn't settle.

Syncing up three next week for AI. Using M & M Ronald, Eagles Run High Roller and HA Xpress.

New heifer calf born! 89 lbs unassisted (just how I like them!)

Purebred silver heifer: Two Byrds Gypsy Romance
Sire: Sunnyridge Epic Power by HA Bentley
Dam: Windy Acres Cleo's Romance (2018 AMGA National Cow/Calf Pair) by MLJ Zander

[image]107[/image] [image]108[/image] [image]106[/image]

Nice looking heifer calf! I hope that the rest of your calving season continues uneventfully. I hope that we get a decent group of heifers this year. We had 80% bull calves last year, and we weren't able to keep as many heifers back as we usually do.

Updated pictures from these 2 calves. Silver heifer is Two Byrds Gypsy Romance (2 weeks) and dun/dark bull calf is Two Byrds Fantom (2 months)

[image]132[/image] [image]131[/image] [image]130[/image]

A month to go still for miss Lucy (JB Xclusive Monique). This is a 8 year old cow and this will be our first purebred calf out of her. Do you think there is only one in there?

[image]169[/image]

She is starting to fill in on her udder and is as loose as our 3-4 year olds were a week before calving. This will be our first time with her calving at our place. Going to keep a close eye on her though.

Great looking calves! It is definitely possible that JB Xclusive Monique is carrying twins, but they will surprise you. Back in 2012, we had an 8 year old cow that had a tremendous belly. Everybody that saw her agreed with us and thought that she would have twins. Here she is 3 weeks before calving.
86bdb93b-9bdc-43f7-bd8a-38f34152f75b-original.jpg

Turns out when she finally did calve, she had a lot of amniotic fluid. It honestly sounded like flood gates were opened. She ended up having a single, 86 lb bull calf.

Holy smokes she's big! I have a couple cows that have really big bellies.. they're never the ones that had twins though.

Both of these ones had 140ish lb bull calves, both unassisted

Well this first time heifer went first. Heifer calf born this morning by Windy Acres Excaliber out of 50% Murray Grey heifer, Two Byrds Dark Chocolate.

[image]198[/image]

Nice looking pair and beautiful country! Our natural service calves are due to start hitting the ground on the 10th, but we have a handful that look like they could go any day.

Black 99 lb bull calf born last night by Eagles Run Just Because out of JB Xclusive Monique

[image]222[/image] [image]223[/image]

Here is a better picture of that 75% Murray Grey heifer, who was only 62 lbs!

[image]224[/image]

Turned the new bull calf out with the other calves. Two Byrds Gypsy Romance (silver heifer) sure liked him! Kids named him Two Byrds Galaxy (black bull).

Does anyone keep bulls intact that were this heavy? He was 99 lbs and we have always steered ones this big but we were going to wait until the summer to see how he turns out. This is our first purebred out of this cow.

[image]229[/image] [image]230[/image] [image]231[/image]

I will keep one intact up to 100# - but, I have purebred Simmentals. The question is - would you use him, but most importantly, would you trust selling him to a customer?
I have lots of heavy weight bulls that have excellent calving ease EPD's and would more than likely be perfect for breeding - but - if I sell one that is born with a heavy BW - and - the buyer has ONE calving problem, there goes my reputation as a breeder. Never worth the difference of a bull price vs a steer price.