Steer Carcass Contest data collection begins

Help Support CattleToday:

As far as I know, almost all beef you buy in the store is wet aged unless it is specifically labelled as dry aged. Wet aged beef is cut and vacuum sealed and the enzymes have a chance to tenderize the meat between the time it is cut and the time of sale. So a week or so. Packing plants like it because there is much less waste and less chance of spoiling a carcass, and consumers like it because it reduces cost.
I like it dry aged probably because that's what I'm used to from growing up hanging our own meat. In my opinion it is more flavourful.

Jeanne,
I know the formula our extension agent used, I could send that to you. The only thing I didn't like was it started punishing carcasses at 901# for being too big, I thought it should have been 1000. However, the only thing it would have done is swap 2nd and 3rd placings on our contest this year.

jscunn":146tvo8d said:
Jeanne,
I know the formula our extension agent used, I could send that to you. The only thing I didn't like was it started punishing carcasses at 901# for being too big, I thought it should have been 1000. However, the only thing it would have done is swap 2nd and 3rd placings on our contest this year.
Haha, 901 discounted! Not that many years ago it was discounted at like.....601 or 651.
I would be intetested. Curious how it is weighted. Thanks

Ken, quite interesting. Supposedly, beef is absolutely not supposed to be cut up for at least 24 hours. Good thing they don't want steaks. Never heard that term.
I definitly have dry aged. I won't let them cut it up until hung 14 days.

Fire Sweep Ranch":2bbrzicn said:
wbvs58":2bbrzicn said:
FSR, were there any tears this year with their steers going to the butcher shop?

Ken

No tears this year. All the kids involved this year have done this a few times...

I saw your steer. In this case, the way that guy broke down, it is actually a relief to see him departed.

First time i have stumbled upon this thread and i will make it a favorite and follow it from now on. Man have I learned alot watching this through the years. Thank you so much for posting religiously.

So, I decided to collect the data from the last 6 years and put it all into one. I found it pretty impressive that every one of our steers have graded choice! Here it is:

2013 - 3/4 Simm, HCW 837, Choice-, 2.85YG, 12.8 Rib Eye, .3 BF
2014 - PB Simm, HCW 780, Choice-, 2.5 YG, 15.5 Rib Eye, .45 BF
2014- 7/8 Simm, HCW 842, Choice-, 3.1 YG, 13.1 Rib Eye, .4 BF
2015 - PB Simm, HCW 802, Choice-, 2.3 YG, 16.5 Rib Eye, .6 BF
2016 - PB Simm, HCW 775, Choice ave, 2.1 YG, 12.7 Rib Eye, .55 BF
2017 - 3/4 Simm, HCW 780, Choice-, 2.7 YG, 12.9 Rib Eye, .35 BF
2018 - PB Simm, HCW 686, Choice-, 1.6 YG, 13.7 Rib Eye, .2 BF

Looks pretty impressive to me. Simmentals make for some consistency! Sires of those steers above included Built Right, Mo Better, Dream On, Cut Above (fat butt), Upgrade and Steel Force. Built Right, Dream on, and Steel Force are not looked upon as carcass sires, but Upgrade and Cut Above are. Regardless, our small sample size has been consistent year after year!
Our steer for next year will be an interesting twist. He is 5/8 Simmental and 3/8 Belgian Blue.
2heag78.jpg

Jeanne - Simme Valley":13n0nulb said:
Is that the calf Ron posted pictures of this past winter/spring?

Yes. It was that thread on the next legendary Simmental bull. Be interesting to watch this one. He is rugged - I bet this guy does not break down.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":28y06chx said:
The Simmental sure put more bone on that calf. BB's are pretty fine boned, but tons of muscle - too much for my liking. Appears this calf is happy medium.

Attribute that bone to One-Eyed Jack