snow/hay

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
we woke up to about 2-3 inches of snow this morning. If your cattle are just eating pasture and it snows I assume you must supplement with hay or corn?

tncattle":1b8f987y said:
we woke up to about 2-3 inches of snow this morning. If your cattle are just eating pasture and it snows I assume you must supplement with hay or corn?
yes if your pastures are covered in snow.you need to put out some hay for the cattle.an feed them some feed if you want.

Yup, cattle will start to lose condition if they have to dig for feed. They wont get enough to sustain themselves. Throw out some hay or alfalfa.

It'll depend on your stock and how much forage is left under the snow. My cattle won't lose an ounce of condition with only a couple inches of snow on the ground. I don't get all that worried until I see 6 inches on the ground. But my animals are used to having to get at their feed, and are specifically selected over the past few years for easy keeping.

If your animals aren't used to having to root out feed, or they're hard doers, you may need to stick some feed out. I'd give it a few days and see how they're making out. You'll know in 2 or 3 days if your stock will adapt.

Rod

I wouldn't get too excited if they can still get through the snow and there is forage unde it. Cows aren't like horses, they will dig through the snow to get to the grass.

Latest posts