smoking meat advice

Help Support CattleToday:

Been thinkin' about cutting up a 250 gallon diesel tank and making a new smoker out of it. Anyone know where to get plans?

No I dont but if you find any I would appreciate knowing about it. My nephew brought me another tank just yesterday that would be just right for another smoker. Thanks, Bill

Circle H Ranch
http://www.chrlimousin.com

Cattleman200":302kqm7c said:
Been thinkin' about cutting up a 250 gallon diesel tank and making a new smoker out of it. Anyone know where to get plans?

No I dont but if you find any I would appreciate knowing about it. My nephew brought me another tank just yesterday that would be just right for another smoker. Thanks, Bill

Circle H Ranch

I'm thinking about putting it on a trailer, and makin' a mobile cooker. I want to get the smoke box right, and make the racks adjustable.

Crowderfarms":1moi3igu said:
Cattleman200":1moi3igu said:

Circle H Ranch

I'm thinking about putting it on a trailer, and makin' a mobile cooker. I want to get the smoke box right, and make the racks adjustable.

Bet you can find something here you like. Bring your nickles.Z

http://www.bbqpits.com/

KenB":3gpurjuu said:
;-) Whats the clear liquid in the mason jar?

It might be some blueberry shine for the chefs, but you aren't allowed to make that, so it must not be. ;-)

Backhoe, gonna try your sauce next time I grill - thanks. Always looking for something to try. Here is one you might want to try as well. This one is real easy to make and you can bottle it up and store on the shelf w/o refrigeration. Kinda a mix between a sweet and a mustard sauce. Very easy to make and pretty darn good too.

6 small bottles of ketchup
1 small bottle of worchestchire sauce
1 Pt wesson oil
1 ounce black pepper
4 small bottles of mustard
1/2 bottle of hot sauce
1 cup sugar
1 cup lemon juice
salt to taste
1 bottle french dressing

Mix together in Stainless steel pot and cook on low heat to boiling. Will make one big pot full.

Boogie your sauce was excellent! :D Everything turned out pretty good, I wrapped everthing in tin foil at 3 hrs,and pulled everything off at 8 hrs. The wild pork roast has a bit of an after taste to it but it may have to do with eating it last and being full. The briscuit was great tasting but crunchy on the outside to crunchy to slice . Do you think I could have over cooked? The ribs didn't fall apart but they were very tender. I still need some practice running the smoker my temps fluctuated from 175 to 250 twice it spiked to 300. Thanks to all and any more advice is very appreciated. :cboy:

RAWCJW":1ddphih9 said:
Boogie your sauce was excellent! :D Everything turned out pretty good, I wrapped everthing in tin foil at 3 hrs,and pulled everything off at 8 hrs. The wild pork roast has a bit of an after taste to it but it may have to do with eating it last and being full. The briscuit was great tasting but crunchy on the outside to crunchy to slice . Do you think I could have over cooked? The ribs didn't fall apart but they were very tender. I still need some practice running the smoker my temps fluctuated from 175 to 250 twice it spiked to 300. Thanks to all and any more advice is very appreciated. :cboy:

Glad you liked it. Most people do.

I like a smaller smoker. It uses less wood and it is easier to control the heat. Problem is I just run out of real estate at times. The big one is okay if I can keep everyone from lifting the lid to look.

Crowder there are a lot of plans on the net. For a smoker that big, put yourself a water tank in the bottom of it with a valve. There's nothing like being able to wash your hands with warm water the whole time your cooking. That is a feature that will be in the next one I build.

Easy D has one that will hold 18 briskets and a hog. He has the water tank and it is great. I think it holds about 40 gallons. Not enough water to get really hot, down in the bottom, but the water gets plenty warm.

Two things that will be on my next one is square fire box or at least a flat top on it if it ends up being pipe and the heavy piece of plate under the rack. I have helped cook on the one I'm trying to talk the old man out of at the last two Thumps and I really think that plate helps hold the heat better.Z

Angus/Brangus":266pxf9a said:
Anyone ever use an electric smoker? My cousin swears by it.

Not personally but I know folks who use them and who like them.

They require electricity so they have to be close to the house/barn etc. That is limiting. They are excellent for regulating temperature. But, they have very limited real estate. I need more space. Even my little smoker can take a whole hog. I haven't see an electric that big.

If you were just cooking a couple of brisket, could do it right there at the house, electric would be fine and probably a bit more fool proof too.

I admit I am not an expert in this area. My uncle always did it all but someone had to take over after he left us.

I built one out of a 55 gal drum and built a square fire box on the end. I put a big pan in the cook area full of water, beer, or whatever I have at the time.

For Thanksgiving I decided to smoke a turkey. 13 pounds was supposed to take 8-10 hours depending on where you read. Mine was done in 4 hours. I had a digital probe in it and I probed it in about 10 places before taking it off. I had a oven gauge inside the cooker and I have an outside gauge. Both stayed right at 180-225 for the 4 hours.

The turkey turned out great but I still don't know why it cooked so fast unless it was because I had it close to the input from the firebox. The input comes in the side and bottom and my grills run the full length of the drum.

Crowderfarms":1c7av2wm said:
If cattleman200 could give us a few more close-ups, with maybe a measure in there, we could get the general Idea. 8) :lol:
B.

Thanks, Brianna, That's what we call "ready" around these parts!! Just what I want to build.

Don't worry Backhoe. I aint blowed myself up in a while. :D

Crowderfarms":22gnw1sm said:
Cattleman200":22gnw1sm said:

Circle H Ranch

Get a propane tank. The steel is thicker. They are cheap if they cannot be certified. Check with the local propane supplier. Run an exhaust from a gasoline engine into the tank before cutting. Run for about thirty minutes. Removes all of the oxygen, therefore no explosion.

Latest posts