Smokey Heifer

Help Support CattleToday:

shortyjock89

Reaction score
This is a heifer that I am going to show at the American Royal and NAILE this fall. She is a 1/2 Lowline out of a Comm. Char. cow. She's a September 27th. Let me know if she's worth taking out....

SmokeyheiferB.jpg

shortyjock89":elju8p4i said:
This is a heifer that I am going to show at the American Royal and NAILE this fall. She is a 1/2 Lowline out of a Comm. Char. cow. She's a September 27th. Let me know if she's worth taking out....

SmokeyheiferB.jpg

I'm just wanting to know ...

How did the lowline bull reach??? :lol2:

I'm assuming you AI'ed the cow?

Not a bad little heifer, I'd show her, but we dont show crossbreds here.

LOL, nah she wasn't AI'd, but her sire is an AI sire. Not all Lowline bulls in the US are like the original imports from Australia. Her sire is pretty small, even for a Lowline, at 44 inches, and her momma isn't a HUGE cow, but she's not small either. She's my first Lowline, and she's a bit different from my Shorthorns, but I think she's still pretty nice. Much nicer than most of the calves shown at county fairs around here as far as soundness and thickness go.

What breed will you show her in at the NAILE? I didn't think they had any crossbed classes only purebred.

I'm guessing she's out of the doc holliday bull? She's nice. I'd imagine she'd be much different working with than taller cattle. It looks like she slopes from hooks to pins and God only knows the show ring will probably magnify that by a hundred, but I like her. She looks like she'll make a real practical functional cow.

Might be a tad tiny, even for me.I do like the way she looks though.what frame size do you think see will end up? I think a 44 would put the sire just under a 1?

Jovid":3585b89g said:
What breed will you show her in at the NAILE? I didn't think they had any crossbed classes only purebred.

This year is the first year for a Lowline show at the NAILE. She's registered % Lowline.
CPL- She's actually out of a bull called General Sherman that TJ Stenger owned. She does slope just a touch, but she's full Aussie blood on her sire's side (any Aussie will tell you that some slope will increase calving ease), and she will loin down, plus she needs her hooves trimmed and that may help. Other than those excuses, she will have a boatload more hair by the time the major shows get here, and I can clip in a little better tailhead if I need to.

Not sure on what she'll end up FS wise, but I'm guessing she'll fall into the 2 category, but we'll see when we measure her at a year old. I know she's small, but she should be able to hold her own on the Lowline shows. I actually plan on showing her the first weekend in September against some "normal" sized cattle to see how she does. Hopefully the judge will ask what breed she is and take that into account, but we shall see!

Nice looking heifer. I do however agree with the slope from hooks to pins. You will need to work her hair in a way that it is not so obvious. November (I think) is a bit away so by that time her hair will look much different. So you should be able to smooth her up somewhat.

I really like her! I really wanna know how she does against 'normal sized' cattle.
I wouldn't mind being at the other end of the halter, that's for sure.

I like her alot. Lots of capacity and spring of rib. I'm curious as to how she'll compete with "normal" cattle.

Kenz":3vs3jy3i said:
I like her alot. Lots of capacity and spring of rib. I'm curious as to how she'll compete with "normal" cattle.
If I'm correct she will only compete against other lowlines.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, and yeah her biggest fault is her slope from hooks to pins, but she is growing more hair every day, and I hope it won't be too noticeable by the time I show her. I don't have trouble growing hair, even in the summer. I actually think I'm going to show her the first weekend in September as maybe an x-bred, so she'll be against calves her own weight, but Avalon was right, at American Royal and NAILE, she will only show against other percentage Lowlines.

Jovid":63hgay4e said:

Since she's a registered 1/2 Lowline, she could show in the A.O.B. JR Heifer Show at the NAILE.

Latest posts