small school report, can you please help me?

Help Support CattleToday:

Karen

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I don't have any cattle, but I like your site! I am in an Ag class and have to answer a few questions about jobs in agriculture. I put down the first topic that came to mind which was comercial cattle production (breeding and raising then selling) I might should have made it more specific(?) but I am hoping you all will be able to help me anyway.

I have to answer the following questions:

Comercial Cattle Production

1.) What is your yearly income?

2.) What education is needed?

3.) How do you get the needed education?

4.) How much does the education cost?

5.) Where is your farm located?

I'm sorry that it was not until now that I found this site as now I've only got one day to turn it in. This was origenaly due on Friday, but is now due Monday (tomorrow).

I am trying to find information on the web, but your personal experience with it is what I would really like to use.

If any of you can help me I would really appreciate it!

You arn't going to get too many folk here give you their yearly income.

Education is the school of hard knocks. But many cattleman have a college degree of some sort.

Thanks certherbeef for your reply. I am just looking for whatever you all would like to share. If there's soemthing that should not be shared (such as yearly income) then i would not want it to be. And if privat message/email would be better then please use that.

And if you can't give me the info here, is there a place on the main site that I might can get more info?

thanks again!

There is a search engine on this site for the forum. Type most anything in and get a hit from the archives.
Type in Making money on cattle and you will get a wealth of information there. ;-)

Karen":3jn5mg1y said:
Not enough
Some business administration or business management. Some marketing knowledge will do you well also. Last but not least, you will need some education regarding cattle, does not have to be a formal eduction.
The formal eduction you can get from any number of universities.
I don't really know what the cost will be. Probably a lot.
NE Texas

Good luck with your paper

Thank you SO much! This is exactly what I needed. I really appreciate your help! :nod:

Hi Karen,,great questions. Hope u make a good grade on your report...i bet u will. Here's my attempt at providing some answers - based on my own experience (may or may not apply anywhere else though),,

A good production goal would be to spend no more than half your gross income. We're able to do it most of the time on my place,,,but not all. For example,,,if the gross income for a ranch was $100K,,,u should try to run the whole operation on no more than $50K

Lotsa short courses,,and ag related college. Also,,,good mentors and advisors - and read alot.

I have a degree from our ag university here in Texas,,,and it's been of considerable help to me. Lots depends on your goals for life,,,a university degree may be needed for what u're wanting to do - or may not be,,,all depends.

At a public university,,a bachelors degree will cost u around $60K here in texas - at private schools you can likely count on spending almost twice that much. A college education here in texas is normally considered to be pretty cheap for what u get. In other states,,it'll likely be more.

My place is in north central texas,,,bout an hrs drive south of dallas.

Good luck!!,,,looking forward to hearing how it goes for you!!,,

Good luck on your report. The national average on a cow is about 100 dollars per head profit after all the expences are figured in. In a feed lot it is a lot less per head but they do a lot of volume.

Hey Karen, hope I'm not too late to help out a bit.

The members of my family haven't ran cattle as the major source of income for thirty or so years now, but if you can make a hundred dollars or so a head then you're doing all right by us.

It seems like I was helping with the cattle almost before I could walk. A lot of places offer good Ag degrees (I think the King Ranch has a Masters program of some sort through Texas A&M), but most of your "old boys" learned how to do it by trial and error.

As stated above, either by finding a good program or by getting your hands dirty.

Four year bachelor's degrees are getting pricier by the year it seems. It really varies by state to state and school to school.

West-Central Utah.

Hope your report goes great. Let us know, okay? :cboy:

I have to answer the following questions:

Comercial Cattle Production

1.) What is your yearly income? Way more than I make on the ranch.

2.) What education is needed? EE degree, oh you mean to run a ranch? I don't have no Ag degree just more than 50 years experience.

3.) How do you get the needed education? Grandpa and dad beat it into me. Slave labor I was.

4.) How much does the education cost? The one I got from grandpa and dad were pretty cheap. A few cuts and bruises, slap across the face every now and then to keep me awake, belts across the rear most of the time. No broken bones though.

5.) Where is your farm located? North Cuba or South New York, you pick.

Hey guys. Thanks so much for all the help! I got an A+ on the report thanks to ya all! I probably will not ever be able to help any one on here regarding cattle, but I will still be around reading things on the forum. This is a great place, It will be my farm away from farm. :cboy:

Well Karen, glad to hear you did well on your report.

allow me to throw in my 2 cents..even tho the bull is long out of the barn so to speak. ( report over and done with)

1. My income comes from my wife.........I spend it here on the farm......she is about $224,000 gross before taxes, (which takes over a third of her income) malpratice INSURANCE (which takes almost another third)(she has never been sued or even threatened), I dare not tell her how far in the hole we truly are with the farm business. Actually net farm income is in the negative.... ie: RED ink.....we kinda want to keep it that way for a while longer intentionally .

2. Education, as many alluded too, hard knocks and experience is usually the best when it comes to this business........I grew up on a Dairy farm, and was forced into college, (practical engineering) of which I do NOT make a living from, never did, nor ever will.....hate it, I wanted to go to Agricultural college, but dad would not hear of it.

3. Dad made all of us boys get a secondary education..........like it or not. I just wanted to farm, and marry money, knowing it would take alot of green paper to get a real farm going on our own.......even my high school year book has that written on my bio...and this is what I did. I am not proud of it, but I am also not ashamed.

4. The education I got formally cost on average $6,200 per year back then..........my REAL education, was much costlier, but today is priceless. I had a real job, with real income for many years, but gave it up to be bossed by only two others, God, and my wife, that was versus , the ten's of bosses , that had bosses, that had bosses to be my bosses.During the last few years while working for others, it seemed every person I met was another boss.

5.We have 4 farms, 3 small ones and a larger main farm, located in the western portion of North Carolina. They all cost us more money then we make off of them. But we are closing the gap, with the help of crop, and product diversity. :cboy:

Medic24":hs9ugyau said:
3. Dad made all of us boys get a secondary education..........like it or not. I just wanted to farm, and marry money, knowing it would take alot of green paper to get a real farm going on our own.......even my high school year book has that written on my bio...and this is what I did. I am not proud of it, but I am also not ashamed.

this sounds like me and my high school year book. may i ask where you found such a woman?

i should never tell ya but hey.......she was lost, new to the USA for only 2 weeks and needed transportation to her new apartment...I was oh so happy to oblige. And the rest is, as they say...is history/ ;-)

So many moons ago, yet seems like yesterday..........we are married, and yet we are still best friends in so many ways. :D :cboy:

Interesting..glad you made a good grade on your report. My daughter just started her freshman year and is in ag class. I have been reading these boards for a while now but just this morning finally registered so I could post. Will keep this in mind if she has a report to do that I can't help her with. Thanks

Latest posts