Sludge as pasture fertilizer

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
I have a neighbor who is placing human sludge as fertilizer on his pastures because he can get it free does anyone in here do that? I totally am against that and his direct neighbors on both sides are ticked off cause hes using that next to them. I told him there is just some things I won't do and if I can't buy fertilizer id stop farming which I guess offended him .. because he cussed me out said not everyone can afford pretty equipment and to buy fertilizer. I apologized for offending him but he walked off... I was just voicing my opinion after he asked me. Does anyone else feel the same way or am I a big fool for not jumping on the sludge in my pasture band wagon ?

Why would you want to turn down good fertilizer.

Not sure what your rules are, but if they are followed and the high levels of heavy metals avoided where is the problem?

When my brother built his last house he covered his lawn heavy with it and planted grass. Darn grass looked like it stayed a beatiful green almost year round....AND occasionally you'll get a good tomato,cucumber or cateloupe come up as well. :lol2:

I am not sure about that atleast not here but if it is im sure his neighbors will be all over him as well as epa and everyone else. I thought it was legal because sewage treatment facilities give away the solid waste as far as I know not to mention there is alot of septic people around that im sure would give the crap away for free.

TexasBred":3gct7fls said:
When my brother built his last house he covered his lawn heavy with it and planted grass. Darn grass looked like it stayed a beatiful green almost year round....AND occasionally you'll get a good tomato,cucumber or cateloupe come up as well. :lol2:

Funny...
I just don't consider that a good fertilizer. I guess if you want to use that thats on you just glad no one near my property uses it. I wouldn't be too happy with that.

WELL IT IS CERTAINLY ALL NATURAL FERTILIZER.

iT IS DONE IN OUR AREA AND IS PERFECTLY LEGAL. AND HIGHLY REGULATED.

We have had our pastures done several times. most of the processes these days have a product that does not even have a lot of odor.

for crop land it is mostly tilled in and has virtually no odor.

What would you have done with the product....landfill it and let it leach for thousands of years?. dump it into our rivers and lakes and oceans?......after all tons of it are produced every day. it has to go somewhere.

is your stuff more stinky than cow stuff.??...more toxic??

I see no harm in using a treated product and using it wisely. believe me it is highly regulated but is a good soil amendment that grows grass wonderfully. there are also grazing restrictions in terms of how long befor you can put the cows back on pasture.

The class A product is pelleted and heat treated and you can buy it in building supply places for your lawn. Probalby has a fancy name and a premium price.

many farmers are using the class A stuff and no one knows it becasuse it is not regulated at all....it is safe. It has been sterilized by one of several processes.

okay....I was talking about biosolids.....but in the common vernacular around here it is also referred to as sludge. They treat the water in one process and seperate out the solids and then treat this sludge and the sludge name seems to follow the biosolids. Biosolids is the correct term for the product I was talking about.

I know about the pellets but I won't be using those either... I raise 2100 acres of beans and corns and could save a ton of money using that stuff on that and my pastures but I refuse to do so and other farmers around here will not use that stuff either.

skyhightree1":20re0ncz said:
I know about the pellets but I won't be using those either... I raise 2100 acres of beans and corns and could save a ton of money using that stuff on that and my pastures but I refuse to do so and other farmers around here will not use that stuff either.

I respect your opinion and your right to it....

have you ever talked with Harrison Moody of Moody Dairy Farm of yesteryear down there in Dinwiddie?
He is the guy who coordinates ours. He is one of the higher ups at Recyc.

skyhightree1":37msiu83 said:
TexasBred":37msiu83 said:

Funny...
I just don't consider that a good fertilizer. I guess if you want to use that thats on you just glad no one near my property uses it. I wouldn't be too happy with that.
You wouldn't know it. Composted, dried and almost totally odorless. The orientals have been using it for thousands of years. No reason it wouldn't be as good as any other manure. You just have to think of it as "manure" instead of "shyt". :lol2:

TexasBred":1lrnmdj6 said:
skyhightree1":1lrnmdj6 said:
TexasBred":1lrnmdj6 said:

Funny...
You wouldn't know it. Composted, dried and almost totally odorless. The orientals have been using it for thousands of years. No reason it wouldn't be as good as any other manure. You just have to think of it as "manure" instead of "shyt". :lol2:

WHAT A LOT OF THE GUY AROUND HERE LIKE IS THE LIME STABILIZED STUFF AS THEN THEY DON'T HAVE TO BUY LIME OR NITROGEN OR PHOSPHOROUS. POTASH CAN BE A LITTLE LIGHT IN YEARS 2 AND 3 ON A THREE YEAR ROTATION WHICH IS THE NORM HERE.

pdfangus":2ey2jqpy said:
skyhightree1":2ey2jqpy said:

I respect your opinion and your right to it....

have you ever talked with Harrison Moody of Moody Dairy Farm of yesteryear down there in Dinwiddie?
He is the guy who coordinates ours. He is one of the higher ups at Recyc.

na I haven't talked to him is his farm of of route 460 ?

I posted a question a year or 3 ago about using human waste as fertilizer.
My understanding is it should be treated and neutralized before spraying or putting down.
Just putting down in raw form ain't right. Or legal.
Now I wouldn't put down even treated human waste or environsoil as its called here. I'd rather use other more expensive options.

hooknline":1um7ooq4 said:
My understanding is it should be treated and neutralized before spraying or putting down.
Now I wouldn't put down even treated human waste or environsoil as its called here. I'd rather use other more expensive options.

same here....

skyhightree1":222enn6k said:
hooknline":222enn6k said:

same here....
Maybe the price of beans will stay high just for you. ;-)