Slaughtering Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

We all get a little "riled" up when it sounds like people don't think we care enough about our animals. Too many Animal Rights people knocking our living and I think we all get pretty defensive and protective. It's our way of life and Animals Rights groups would like to put us out of business.

If you have a beef farm that you could pitch in and help with chores, I'm sure most people would love the help.

Simply Bovine":1iuz0vw2 said:
I also know that when they shoot an animal to kill it for slaughter that it doesn't always die on the first shot.

Also is there someway to make sure that your animal suffers as little as possible. Is there a better way to kill a steer then to shoot it.

As far as I know, since the animal rights activists have been interested in the handle and slaughter of food animals, many different procedures have been put in place to ensure the safety and pain of the animals. Like, animals are brought in with weight on their chest and belly, not in on feet, this will prevent the animal from jumping and causing harm; also, they are stunned with a stunner then, once unconscoius, they are lifted vertically by their left leg and "stuck" with a sharp knife in the neck to remove the blood in the system.

From my understanding most big slaughter houses use this method. Not shooting them. I know that personal or smaller places will/can have different methods.

All of my information came from my Meat Science class taken last fall, taught by the chairman of the Meat Science department at Texas A&M.

If I wanted to keep the hide, skull and horns would I still be able to request them from a large slaughter house? Or would I need to go to a local meat locker to be able to keep them??

Also, if I sold to a slaughter house would they pay me extra for hides, skull and horns as well as the actual meat??

I think you'll find that virtually anything you want to keep, that is not normally given to the customer, will cost you extra. They charge you for killing, cutting & wrapping -- and they get money from somebody else for hides, etc. In addition, time is money, so most likely they don't want to have to alter their normal "production line" type procedures (even the little outfits) to accomodate special requests such as setting aside the hide, horns, etc. --- unless they can exact a toll charge.

I remember some years ago I was dismayed to find that the local killer facility wouldn't give me the hog head from a livestock show pig that i wanted them to process --- I wanted to make "hog head sausage" (you oldtimers and country folks probably remember what that is) and they said "no way" -- they use the heads themselves and that's just part of the deal. But if I wanted to buy it from them at retail I could!

Arnold Ziffle":urqptayz said:
I think you'll find that virtually anything you want to keep, that is not normally given to the customer, will cost you extra. They charge you for killing, cutting & wrapping -- and they get money from somebody else for hides, etc. In addition, time is money, so most likely they don't want to have to alter their normal "production line" type procedures (even the little outfits) to accomodate special requests such as setting aside the hide, horns, etc. --- unless they can exact a toll charge.

I remember some years ago I was dismayed to find that the local killer facility wouldn't give me the hog head from a livestock show pig that i wanted them to process --- I wanted to make "hog head sausage" (you oldtimers and country folks probably remember what that is) and they said "no way" -- they use the heads themselves and that's just part of the deal. But if I wanted to buy it from them at retail I could!

I always heard it referred to as "hogs head cheese", or "souse"....Never was hungry enough to eat it though.... We also used to "render the lard" and get "chitlins' and "pig skins". :) :cboy:

i don't know who your dairyman friend is but evidently he doesn't know how to kill a cow. if you shoot one in the brain it is over instantly.!!!!!!!!!!!

Simply Bovine":12rkj1d0 said:
I don't understand how people can bring themselves to slaughter an animal that they have raised!

I want to get into the cattle business, but I can't even imagine raising an animal and willfully sending in to slaughter. I plan to run a very small business of mainly speciality cattle like highlanders, an odd assortment of small mini cattle and whatever else that needs to come home with me. I know along the way I will be faced with the fact that I may need to slaughter a few. I was just wondering how other people, who tend to get attatched to their animals, do it?

Well get them and do as you please. As for me the whole reason for raising them is to slaguhter them. That is what there sole purpose on my ranch is. I think it is Steiner Ranch that their slogan is Beef is the reason we raise them.

Scotty

I understand where you are coming from. I was born and raised with cattle and have my own operation now. There is no difference in the pain of an animal dying or the pain of an animal going to slaughter. Either way they are no longer with me. You find a way to deal with it. I do it by being involved in every aspect possible and researching the aspects I can't be involved in. It is understood that I am there to help load the cattle and then the truck does not pull out until I am in the house. Some laugh but usually, when the trucker hears me calling their names as I'm loading, they get the idea real quik how much I care and how hard it is and abide by my wishes with no problem. I have a good cry. Then I think of the good life they had. I remind myself this is why they were here in the first place and that they could have a lot worse end. Laying around sick and in pain until they are either put down or dye of their own would be a lot worse. Remember - nothing lives forever. Treat them well and enjoy them while you have them. Then go play with the calves!

Yeah, I have a problem with giving them all names too, so when we have some company for supper and I ask for a piece of Marion Berry or Correta Scott King, I often get the looks! :eek: We raise butcher our own BLACK Angus.

Oh, and I failed to mention that we now have a young heifer that we had to name Brittney Spears.............she dances around, bellows, and teases all of our young bulls from the other side of the fence.
Our luck she will find a way into that lot one day, she will get bred way too early, and we wont know who the daddy is.

No 1 say there is no way I am keeping her long enuff to eat her.......she want no such comments at the supper table.......... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I was always told. 'Don't name your food'. It's always worked for me. They are raised for the plate and except for the ones that get hit by lightning or have some other misfortune on the farm, the plate is where they'll all end up.

Latest posts