Slaughtering Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

Simply Bovine

Reaction score
I don't understand how people can bring themselves to slaughter an animal that they have raised!

I want to get into the cattle business, but I can't even imagine raising an animal and willfully sending in to slaughter. I plan to run a very small business of mainly speciality cattle like highlanders, an odd assortment of small mini cattle and whatever else that needs to come home with me. I know along the way I will be faced with the fact that I may need to slaughter a few. I was just wondering how other people, who tend to get attatched to their animals, do it?

It's kind of a like a dog you've really gotten attached to. You realized when it came home with you that some day the righ thing to do would be to put it down/wack it/euthenise, what ever uephenism you're comfortable with. It's the same with a cow. You know that its' purpose is to graze someones table. It's hard at times, but unless you want to become a rest home for worn out animals, it's the way it is. Not much is sadder then seeing a once vitale animal become old and infirm and realize you're going to have to haul it back in the woods some day and let the critters eat it. Better it go for the purpose it was intended, meat for useful purpose, I don;t see feeding coyotes as a usefull purpose. Even if it is dinty moore beef stew or maybe alpo if it's too far gone.

dun

Everyone please keep responding to me first question!

I know that sending your cattle in a double decker semi trailer can be the most scary stressful thing that can happen to any animal headed to slaughter. I also know that when they shoot an animal to kill it for slaughter that it doesn't always die on the first shot.

If I did slaughter my cattle I think that I would make sure that they had a calm safe ride to meet their end. Also is there someway to make sure that your animal suffers as little as possible. Is there a better way to kill a steer then to shoot it.

The first ones were the hardest. We started out at first by selling our calves at weaning. The next ones we fed out & really took our time finishing them & in the mean time we were buying our own beef from someone else. Then we got to thinking how stupid it was not to put what we raised healthy & natural in our own freezer for our own family to eat what we know is the best raised meat a person could get. You can get them to come to your farm for a less stressful way since then they don't have to be trailered . It is just a fact of life if you are going to raise cattle & if you eat beef. It does get easier.

Boy, that's a real good question, and one that I struggle with all the time. I keep telling myself over and over that they're bred and born to feed us, but it is still hard when you have to feed and care for them and get to know them as individuals. Although I will add that there are some I can't wait to get rid of. But then again, there are some I can't even watch get in the trailer. I think there's a balance between caring so that you give the ones in the pasture the best quality of life you can while you have them, and letting them go when their time comes.

There was a post on here at one time about this, and it was so well written, I should have kept it to refer back to it. I think it was either CattleAnnie, CherokeeRuby, or the BullLady who wrote it, and it was wonderful....about how she raised them to the best of her ability, loved them while she had them, and prayed for them not to be scared when they went down the road......sure was a good post........

I don't want to sound mean, but if this bothers you so much, why are you wanting to raise a food animal? Why not go with dogs, horses or something that is not used for food?

If is a fact that raising food animals is a business of death. Yeah, it's not the fun part and it can be sad, but the it is still a fact. They die so we can eat.

Jena

Simply Bovine":3igsj6tx said:
Everyone please keep responding to me first question!

I know that sending your cattle in a double decker semi trailer can be the most scary stressful thing that can happen to any animal headed to slaughter. I also know that when they shoot an animal to kill it for slaughter that it doesn't always die on the first shot.

You don't know that sending cattle in a semi trailer is the most scary thing that can happen to a cow. You think that it's true; but since you apparently have very little experience with cattle, you don't know that. And I would surely disagree with you. It is stressful, but I think cows are equally as stressed when they are moved into a corral and chute for their vaccinations. Cows are herd animals. If you put three of them in a huge truck, they'd crowd up in a corner. Don't try to put your own thoughts/feelings into their heads. Cows in trucks don't know they are headed for slaughter. They've likely ridden in trucks and trailers before in their life, why would they think the trip to slaughter is any different than the trip to the feedlot, assuming they "think" at all?

If I did slaughter my cattle I think that I would make sure that they had a calm safe ride to meet their end. Also is there someway to make sure that your animal suffers as little as possible. Is there a better way to kill a steer then to shoot it.

Apparently you don't know. The large slaughterhouses shoot cattle in the head with a deadbolt pistol. On the net you can find the procedure approved by the USDA. There are USDA inspectors around to watch the proceedings; Temple Grandin has set up guidelines for the slaughterhouses and they are becoming more efficient every year. Some of them keep guns on site and shoot the cattle if they realize they haven't killed it with the deadbolt.

We all do what we can to ensure our cattle "suffer" as little as possible because (a) it's the right thing to do and (b) stressed cattle don't produce good beef.

I don't slaughter my own animals any more than you grow your own vegetables. It does make me sad to know they are going to die; but we're all going to die. I agree with those who say it's better that they serve the purpose they are born for: feeding humans. And not just feeding us, the livestock industry contributes much more than meat to our daily lives. Check out the link below. If you can't deal with death, don't start a farm/ranch. All sorts of animals, domesticated and wild die every day on a farm/ranch and not just because of humans. Animals are much more cruel to other animals than humans. As I sit here I can see a red tailed hawk circling low, watching for mice in the grass. Do you think that hawk is concerned about the mouse's "suffering?"

http://www.oznet.ksu.edu/neareaoffice/a ... oducts.htm

Okay I get your point!!!

All I was trying to say is that if I had to send my cattle to the slaughter I would make myself responsible for making sure that the cattle had a safe ride to the slaughter and that they died without undue suffering.

I talked with one Dairyman who said that when they shot a cow(which they were doing on their own-not at the butchers) it bellowed and was quite capable of looking around to see who shot it. Then it was shot again and died. Both times it was shot in the head. The farmer showed no concern that the animal felt pain. This is why I was concerned about shooting an animal for slaughter. I assumed it was the animal's thick skull that prevented it from dying quickly, not an underpowered gun. Now that I have read your posts I think the gun was underpowered. That farmer should have been wiser. I won't talk to him anymore.

Just because I'm not an expert on cattle, do not assume that I have not lived on a farm/ranch before. I grew up with grandparents in the cattle and ranching business and my parents have a farm too. I have been working with horses all my life and other farm animals too. I am quite accustom to death around the farm. Undue suffering however should never be "gotten use to". That is what seperates humans from animals!!

By the way I am into breeding/training dogs, horses, etc. It's just that I love cattle too. I really would like to work with them. There's no reason I can't work with more then one kind of animal. Besides I'm not ready to start breeding them tomorrow or anything. I have at least two years to go. In that time I will learn all I can. My boss raises Angus big time. I'm sure I can learn alot from her and her family. All ranchers need lots of help, right?? I'm sure I could hang around and help out.

I plan to run a very small business of mainly speciality cattle like highlanders,

Highlanders are particularly delicious. Think of it this way, in the cannibal tribes when a brave person died, the rest of the tribe would cook and share their body. The brains were particularly prized as being the center of knowledge and wisdom. Also by sharing the body, the cannibals believed that part of the persons bravery and hunting prowess would be passed on to them.
I sent two cows to slaughter the other day. One was an old boss cow I'd had for alot of years. She had bad feet. The other was a three year old that came in open. I have so much respect for both of them that I plan on eating as much of them as I can. I'm sure they'll be delicious.

CRR~You sound hungry!!! LOL!

And...you grossed me out! You know that?? The stuff you told me is true, but I get sick looking at cartoon posters of human insides at the doctor. I think I'll go throw up now. Just kidding!!!

You sound like a meat eater!! Me too. Even if I wouldn't want to kill my own animal doesn't mean I don't like meat! I love steak!! YUMMY!! Now I'm hungry.

Animal cracker anyone??

Okay I get your point!!!

All I was trying to say is that if I had to send my cattle to the slaughter I would make myself responsible for making sure that the cattle had a safe ride to the slaughter and that they died without undue suffering.

With this comment you seem to be suggesting that most ranchers don't take care that their cattle are handled humanely. Did you really mean to suggest that?

I talked with one Dairyman who said that when they shot a cow(which they were doing on their own-not at the butchers) it bellowed and was quite capable of looking around to see who shot it. Then it was shot again and died. Both times it was shot in the head. The farmer showed no concern that the animal felt pain. This is why I was concerned about shooting an animal for slaughter. I assumed it was the animal's thick skull that prevented it from dying quickly, not an underpowered gun. Now that I have read your posts I think the gun was underpowered. That farmer should have been wiser. I won't talk to him anymore.

You must understand that when an animal dies, there are still electrical impulses sent from the brain to parts of the body. A dead animal may jerk and twitch for quite a while after it's actually brain dead. I'm sure the dairyman stays up nights worrying that you won't talk to him.:p I don't know if anyone on this board is in the dairy business.

Just because I'm not an expert on cattle, do not assume that I have not lived on a farm/ranch before. I grew up with grandparents in the cattle and ranching business and my parents have a farm too. I have been working with horses all my life and other farm animals too. I am quite accustom to death around the farm. Undue suffering however should never be "gotten use to". That is what seperates humans from animals!!

I make no such assumption. You should be smart enough to know that dogs are different from cats. Cows are not like horses. They have different nervous systems, different instincts. Just because you're familiar with one doesn't automatically make you understand the other. Cows can hurt you very badly without even being mean. They weigh a lot more than a dog or a cat. Unlike horses, cows don't mind stepping on you and they will do so if you get in their way when they're excited or scared.

By the way I am into breeding/training dogs, horses, etc. It's just that I love cattle too. I really would like to work with them. There's no reason I can't work with more then one kind of animal. Besides I'm not ready to start breeding them tomorrow or anything. I have at least two years to go. In that time I will learn all I can. My boss raises Angus big time. I'm sure I can learn alot from her and her family. All ranchers need lots of help, right?? I'm sure I could hang around and help out.

There's no reason you can't work with whatever animals you can afford to keep and care for. The animal rights movement would stop everyone from working with animals, but, hopefully, they won't be successful. By all means, hang around and visit with us....

Even if I wouldn't want to kill my own animal doesn't mean I don't like meat! I love steak!! YUMMY!! Now I'm hungry.

Few things better than a nice piece of bossy's prime rib smothered in garlic salt and barbecued rare. Top it off with some baked taters and good Canadian beer and that's about as good as it gets. Like I said, its all about respect for my animals, it would be disrespectful to cook them so that people wouldn't clean up their plate. ;-)

Hey Frankie, did you have a bad day yesterday? You sure were busting SB's balls. Maybe you had a bad experience as a kid. Did one of your pets die and you're still bitter about it?

9 ER":13x8q79p said:
Hey Frankie, did you have a bad day yesterday? You sure were busting SB's balls. Maybe you had a bad experience as a kid. Did one of your pets die and you're still bitter about it?

I didn't get that impression. And I'd be willing to bet that SB doesn't have balls.

You don't know that sending cattle in a semi trailer is the most scary thing that can happen to a cow. You think that it's true; but since you apparently have very little experience with cattle, you don't know that. And I would surely disagree with you

Apparently you don't know

Sounds like it me. I especially like the bold printed words. Reminds me of someone pointing their finger and shaking their head.

No, if I were to guess, I would say the SB doesn't. Have you not heard of that expression or are you just busting mine? And yes, I do have them.

If one is so worried about getting cattle humanly shot in the head at the slaughter house, you could send yours to a Kosher butcher, they don't shoot them. The Rabbi blesses the cow with a few words and then simply cuts the throat and stands back till it dies.

Or a slaughter house in Mexico.......they stab in in the head from behind, then cut the throat. Seen it done. Cattle, goats, pigs.

Or other places that don't want to waste a bullet, or have strict gun control laws.......then it's a hammer or a sledge.

Neither of which appeal to me much at all! Think I will stick to the humane methods of a well placed shot to the head, with either a bolt or a bullet. If one has to think in human terms, I think that is the way i would want to go if given the choice of all the above.

I raise them for profit.

They are born - they live and grow - they get on the truck - some go to die - some got on to breed. Somewhat like people.

People try to put their personal thoughts into the animals head. Does not work.

In the end we raise them to kill them. I have favourites - like many. They too will go to die. Somewhat like people again.

The chain of life. Live with it or go on to a different occupation.

Bez

Frankie, you are "right on". I don't have the patience to answer such foolish questions. I find SB insulting to beef producers all over. We care A LOT for our animals. It takes too much time, energy & money to raise cattle. You better like what you are doing & care about the animals. The better we care for our animals the better they CARE for us - financially & satisfactorily. Nuff said.

I never meant to insult anyone (balls or no balls-by the way I don't have them). I was making the statement for myself alone. I was only saying that if putting a steer on a truck/trailer that doesn't seem safe (I'm sure that not all cattle trucks are created the same!) bothers me-then I will make sure he gets on a different truck. If that animal is going to be in my freezer I just want to make he has a reasonable good life. Like I'm sure most of you all feel.

Frankie, you are "right on". I don't have the patience to answer such foolish questions.
Can I request that if some of you don't like foolish questions that you ignore them and find a topic that in your eyes isn't foolish. I was only looking to get a few questions answered. If I didn't ask these questions before I got cattle, think of what would happen when I did have a couple of steers that I couldn't bare to slaughter. It would be a total waste.

I make no such assumption. You should be smart enough to know that dogs are different from cats. Cows are not like horses. They have different nervous systems, different instincts. Just because you're familiar with one doesn't automatically make you understand the other. Cows can hurt you very badly without even being mean. They weigh a lot more than a dog or a cat. Unlike horses, cows don't mind stepping on you and they will do so if you get in their way when they're excited or scared.
I wasn't trying to imply that I knew how to handle cattle-just that death in the farmyard is nothing new.

I do understand what you are trying to say, though. I do work for a family that breeds some mighty fine angus. Their kids show all the time and they can always use a hand. I think I will ask if I can help out at their place this summer. The dad is like super proud of his cattle and would be thrilled to teach me a thing or two. I have at least two years to go. I work at a Country Supply store and have an abundance of opportunities to get some training. Everyone needs help around the farm.

No I most certainly will not jump into this cattle thing. It's just a dream still.

Few things better than a nice piece of bossy's prime rib smothered in garlic salt and barbecued rare. Top it off with some baked taters and good Canadian beer and that's about as good as it gets. Like I said, its all about respect for my animals, it would be disrespectful to cook them so that people wouldn't clean up their plate.
Would you quit that!! You're making me drool all over my keyboard!! Now I have to go get some paper towels or something. *sigh* LOL!

Latest posts