slaughter withdraw time

Help Support CattleToday:

plbcattle

Reaction score
I have a sick cow that I think will like but has something wrong with her legs. I am having to feed her feed and water by hand in a covered area everyday. my vet came and gave her all the necessary medicine to try to get her back up. my question is there is a 14-21 withdraw slaughter time for antiboitcs. why. I know that people are allergic to penacillin. but if I was going to have this slaughtered for myself and I am not allergic, why would this hurt anything. also if the amount of medicine given is absorbed into a 1000 lb animal will the medicine in the meat not be dilluted. will cooking the meat not kill the medicine. also do you really believe people don;t haul cattle everyday to get slaughtered that have this medicine in them. thanks

Ok....#1 why would you want to eat food contaminated with antibiotics?
#2 why would you want to eat a sick animal?

Antibiotic residues in food may be linked with bacteria developing resistance/multiple resistances to antibiotics WITHIN HUMANS and thus you could have no effective treatments left for anyone.

Please follow the guidelines. They're there for a reason...

V

your vet gave her medicene, what did your vet say was wrong with her? did/does she have fever?

the main question i would have to have answered is.. what did your vet treat her for? i am like v the v on this one... why would you want to eat a sick cow or one full of medicene?

i know of a man who will eat a down cow if it is nerves that made the cow go down, but i personally cant. but to each his own.

jt

ask your vet about butchering her. If she just hurt a leg, etc., wait till the slaughter withdraw time is up and take her in. I had one put down this spring with an ulcer, the vet said fluid from the stomach where the ulcer was would make the meat very bitter and dark in color, had to call the funeral truck for that one.

she got stuck in the mud for about 10 hours. she won't get up on her feet. I don't know if something is wrong with her legs or what. She is healthy but she just won't get up. you can move her legs around and she doesn't even wiggle them or try to pull them back. I hate to let her die but I have done all that I can and I thought about if she was going to die that I would eat her. Thats why I asked the question

Latest posts