Used my Vet Gun for the first time

Help Support CattleToday:

NonTypicalCPA

Reaction score
It works great! It was so easy to walk among the herd and just shoot them. It was kinda fun too, my least favorite got to go first! :D My cattle's reaction to the shot was just like you see on the youtube videos, very mild. Much easier than running them through the chute. Within 15 minutes the flies were gone.

NonTypicalCPA said:
It works great! It was so easy to walk among the herd and just shoot them. It was kinda fun too, my least favorite got to go first! :D My cattle's reaction to the shot was just like you see on the youtube videos, very mild. Much easier than running them through the chute. Within 15 minutes the flies were gone.

Pictures!!
U must take pictures.
This sounds like a fun way to take care of flies. What brand? Cost? Must know more....

I got one last year and it works great. The cattle barely flinch and go right back to eating. At least mine do.

I have the VetGun brand. They are not cheap and neither is the balls for it..

Brute 23 said:
I did some with an $8 water gun from Dollar General a couple weeks ago. It worked better than I thought it would.

What did you use in it? I normally use a pump sprayer with diesel and medication (even if I am using IGR mineral). The Vet gun and balls are just too expensive for my tastes. I have looked into using a paintball gun, but there are no approved balls to use in them.

sstterry said:
Brute 23 said:
I did some with an $8 water gun from Dollar General a couple weeks ago. It worked better than I thought it would.

What did you use in it? I normally use a pump sprayer with diesel and medication (even if I am using IGR mineral). The Vet gun and balls are just too expensive for my tastes. I have looked into using a paintball gun, but there are no approved balls to use in them.

I did some with the saber fly spray and did some with with fly spray and cydectin. The water gun I used throws kind of a ball of fluid when you stroke the pump part. It's not a continuous stream with a triggers. It shoots pretty decent. Had good results even with the ones I hit in the side more than down the back.

I've thrown powder and used 12v sprayers also.

chaded said:
I got one last year and it works great. The cattle barely flinch and go right back to eating. At least mine do.

Neat looking gun.
Is there some sort of sighting apparatus?

MurraysMutts said:
chaded said:

Neat looking gun.
Is there some sort of sighting apparatus?

On top of the tube. I usually shoot them at around 15 feet so it's kind of hard to miss. I have pulled off some further shots but I try not to do that too much but I can't resist sometimes. Lol.

As I recall, they were trying to get approval for a dewormer ball that would work with the vet gun. I have not kept up with it in a few years so I don't know if it was ever developed, approved, or would even work.

I do the same as TC. A bag of cubes and a 2 gallon sprayer. I have one group of cows that have been with me for years that seem to know what the spray is for. I can do most of them without cubes. I know the old bull knows whats going on. He will even turn for me to get the other side.

My cattle aren't mean. I used to spray them with a pump sprayer. I tried two different kinds of spray and one worked ok and the other one was useless. The kind that worked just didn't last very long. The vetgun balls I feel last longer and I can alternate between the two different kinds of treatment. I used it this past winter for lice and my cows did a lot better then the previous year. Oh, and I can do drive by shootings on the cows in the Honda side by side. Lol.

TCRanch said:
Y'all have some super mean cattle? I just dump some cubes and walk around them with a drench gun. Plus that way I can spray their bellies and legs.

This is what I'm doing now. Well, a pump up weed sprayer with permethrin. Would be nice to find something that lasts longer. Must be a hormone thing. I thought everyone liked guns.... lolz
:cowboy:

MurraysMutts said:
TCRanch said:
Y'all have some super mean cattle? I just dump some cubes and walk around them with a drench gun. Plus that way I can spray their bellies and legs.

This is what I'm doing now. Well, a pump up weed sprayer with permethrin. Would be nice to find something that lasts longer. Must be a hormone thing. I thought everyone liked guns.... lolz
What are you mixing with the permethrin? I use diesel.

I always had the best results from Martin's Fly Ban but Grit gave me a recipe that's the equivalent of Ultra Boss. Similar ingredients but Fly Ban is more concentrated; Fly Ban is primarily 7.4% permethrin and 7.4% PBO-8 and Ultra Boss is 5% of each. Anyway, Grit's recipe was 6 oz permethrin, 6 oz Prentox PBO-8, 1 gal corn oil and 1 pt. diesel. I increased it to 7 oz. of each and prefer canola oil (not as thick).

P.S. If you want to alternate, Grit's recipe for Ultra Sabre is 3 oz. Lambda-cyhalothrin, 6 oz. PBO-8, 1 gal oil & 1 pt. diesel. You can get the ingredients from www.domyownpestcontrol.com or even Amazon.

sstterry said:
MurraysMutts said:
TCRanch said:

What are you mixing with the permethrin? I use diesel.

I have a small herd. I've just been buying the 2 and half gallon premixed stuff at atwoods. Kinda pricey.

bird dog said:
TC will that mixture spray or do you have to use the drench gun?

It should, especially if you use the Canola oil. Or only use a half gallon of oil and the rest diesel.

I'm gonna hit my girls with it this afternoon. It's windy so I can get at least a 2-fer ;-)

Latest posts