slaughter barn or bred cow sale??

Help Support CattleToday:

angus9259

Reaction score
Got a cow nursing her 2nd calf. She's too protective of her calves for me so I'm getting rid of her - don't want to be "charged" in my own field. She quits charging after a week or so. Always breeds back and raises her calf just fine.

Question - I'm inclined to go slaughter barn so no one else gets my "problem".

Issue - she's a decent young cow that many would say doesn't have an "issue" - that I have the "issue" with her.

I'd hate to have her go to some hobby farm to become the "family pet" of some well intentioned folks then have her turn on their kid that they let go "pet" the new "baby". (Actually, sadly, I think I just answered my own question).

That said, I'd have no problem with someone running her in their herd of cattle that understands not to mess with protective mommas.

Thoughts?

My thought is cows ain't pets and aren't to be petted by anyone. Sadly I understand your concern because there are lots of idiots out there. You shouldn't have a problem selling her as a breeder, but I understand your concern. I have a cow exactly as you describe.

Boy that is a tough call..

do you think alot of "hobbyist" folks frequent the sale barns? or are they more inclined to buy privately?

I wish you were closer to me, I like them kind of moma cows. For the most part nothing will get close to their calves without them knowing.

had one like that. kept her for 6 years, because she had nice calves. she never got any better. ship her down to the sale barn.

Had one just like that for years, more stand off-ish than aggressive. Then one year she never calmed back down and got aggressive. She took a ride to the sale barn with her calf.

There is no reason to lose money on her in the kill pen . A lot of guys don't mind cows like that me being one of them . If she is a little high headed the buyers will see it when she come through the ring . It's not your job to protect everyone by selling her for slaughter .

She's not high headed at all. She's pretty quiet. Just that first couple weeks after she has a calf she'll run you down. I realize that's not a "bad" trait - I just don't want it when I'm out there tagging and weighing calves all coming the same time. She's been the same with the last 2 of her 3 calves (I know I said she's on her 2nd calf in my first post - my error). She's leaving my place - only question is how.

For me it depends on what sort of operation your running. Personally I don't sell anything with a temper problem unless its straight to slaughter only. I want a reputation of being honest & having cattle that are easy to work & even tempered I cull hard on temperament in both our beef & dairy herds. The 1 thing I don't want is knowing one of my animals has hurt or even killed someone because I sold it knowing what it really was like but that is me

TennesseeTuxedo":1j9v1tof said:
All just because she's highly protective of her calf for a week? Really?
No doubt! These are the type of cows I want! My shorthorns aren't like this but with my commercial cattle, I wish they had a little more fight in em. Defending their young is instinctual and selecting against instinctual traits is a huge downward spiral. Ill sell a cow that walks off and leaves her newborn in a heartbeat before id sell one for defending her young! If almost makes me proud when I have a new calf and my dog runs over to check it out and big momma comes bareling over there to run him off. A since of pride in her baby. I love it.

Massey135":3b9hijqg said:
If almost makes me proud when I have a new calf and my dog runs over to check it out and big momma comes bareling over there to run him off.

Problem for me is . . . . your dog's probably fast enough to get away! :nod:

Having a cow like that is a whole lot better than having one that doesn't protect their young.

You know her traits. Be warry during that week. Keep her. If she gets worse, ship her then.

I'd keep her. Put them in catching pen and seperate them to work the calf. If I can catch the calf at a day old I would toss it in the back of the truck to work it. No need to sell a young productive cow for being a good mother.

If you don't want to deal with her, I'd sell her, but not to slaughter. In a big herd her protective instincts will make her successful.
Folks who don't handle their calves much would appreciate her for what she is, a good mother who doesn't need or want your help.

BettyLandercasper":26v8oelf said:
If you don't want to deal with her, I'd sell her, but not to slaughter. In a big herd her protective instincts will make her successful.
Folks who don't handle their calves much would appreciate her for what she is, a good mother who doesn't need or want your help.
I agree. It is not necessary to tag at birth, just right the calving date in your records and then tag when you get the calves up to work. You can match calves to dams as they nurse.

angus9259":14hu2s5h said:
Got a cow nursing her 2nd calf. She's too protective of her calves for me so I'm getting rid of her - don't want to be "charged" in my own field. She quits charging after a week or so. Always breeds back and raises her calf just fine.Thoughts?

Why not just leave her the he77 alone for a week or two and keep the fertile, productive cow. All good cattle are protective of their newborns for a while.

She'd be going to slaughter if she were in my herd. I won't put up with being charged in the pasture. An animal like that is unpredictable, you may not even be after her or her calf but if she thinks you are then she'll be after you. Plenty of good cows out there with good protective instincts without dealing with them charging me.

Latest posts