Six Actions Sonny Perdue Can Take Today to Save the U.S. Cattle Market

Help Support CattleToday:

HDRider

Reaction score
With cattle prices falling to just below a dollar and retail prices continuing to hold or inch upward, cattle producers are losing their fair share of the wealth they build for the beef industry. Organization for Competitive Markets' (OCM) analysis demonstrates cattle producers' share of the retail grocery dollar for beef is at a miserable 38.5%. This is down from 70% in 1970.

1. Restore producer protection safeguards under the Packers and Stockyards Act

2. Restore the enforcement power of the Packers and Stockyards Act by re-establishing the Grain Inspection Packers and Stockyards Administration (GIPSA) and increase funding for investigations and enforcement.

3. Stop foreign meat from being labeled "Product of U.S.A." by taking up the OCM and American Grassfed Association petition to USDA's Federal Safety Inspection Service, and rule favorably on behalf of America's family farmers.

4. Withdraw the United States Mexico Canada Agreement (USMCA) until such time as Country of Origin Labeling (COOL) is included in the USMCA.

5. Reduce the amount of foreign beef imported into the United States and cease all efforts to reopen the U.S. to Brazilian beef.

6. Implement the Government Accountability Office's recommendations and require USDA Agriculture Marketing Services (AMS) Livestock Mandatory Price Reporting Group to share marketing data with USDA Packers and Stockyards Act Program or submit to Congress a proposal to allow for such sharing.

https://competitivemarkets.com/six-actions-sonny-perdue-can-take-today-to-save-the-u-s-cattle-market/

Caustic Burno said:
Don't look for any of that to happen.
I am convinced they want the small producers gone.

Me too. I am just dumb enough to fight it

HDRider said:
Caustic Burno said:

Do you really want the government ?
We are the government and we're hear to help.

Maybe some producers need to fail. In any business when profits get to low the weak die off. When the dust clears the ones still there prosper.

callmefence said:
HDRider said:
Caustic Burno said:

Maybe some producers need to fail. In any business when profits get to low the weak die off. When the dust clears the ones still there prosper.

Whether you want to admit it or not, the government runs things. Not just a little bit, they pass the laws that are killing us.

HDRider said:
callmefence said:
HDRider said:

Whether you want to admit it or not, the government runs things. Not just a little bit, they pass the laws that are killing us.

So your answer is yes. You want the government to control you?

HDRider said:
Caustic Burno said:

It is all controlled by dollars under a table in Washington. Politicians today are puppets on lobbyists strings.
The government no longer represents the people. There has always been corruption it just became a runaway train about the 70's that has now jumped the tracks.

callmefence said:
HDRider said:
callmefence said:

Do you think the government should stop people from crossing our border to live here?

callmefence said:
HDRider said:
Caustic Burno said:

How exactly are you fighting???

By trying to convince people like you we are being played by the government.

By trying to convince NCBA (county, state and US) that they need to put foreign interest behind US interest.

By talking to my state Representative, and Senator, by talking to my Federal Representative and Senators about COOL and smaller local processors, and selling local.

By selling direct to customers and not the sale barn

By telling the story of how the producer's share of the consumer's dollar is getting smaller and smaller, while input cost skyrocket.

HDRider said:
callmefence said:
HDRider said:

By trying to convince NCBA (county, state and US) that they need to put foreign interest behind US interest.

By talking to my state Representative, and Senator, by talking to my Federal Representative and Senators about COOL and smaller local processors, and selling local.

By telling the story of how the producer's share of the consumer's dollar is getting smaller and smaller, while input cost skyrocket.

I bend my US representatives ear regularly as well.
When he is home he gets both barrels at feed store.
Problem is we are the minority.

HDRider said:
callmefence said:
HDRider said:

By people like me I reckon you mean people who question things even if they benefit me.
I reckon we got about the same size outfit, if my memory serves me. I like messing with cows. But honestly, if they all died tonight I'd be alright. It would definitely put me in a hell of a bind. But it's not my real living. I'm not so full of myself to think world policy should revolve around my side job.

Maybe them sick hogs will pan out and there won't be enough meat to feed world. When there's not enough supply those boys that have been colluding will turn on each other. Free market....but for that to work you gotta keep the government out of it.

HDRider said:
callmefence said:
HDRider said:

Do you think the government should stop people from crossing our border to live here?

Yes it's in their job description , per the us Constitution

callmefence said:
HDRider said:
callmefence said:

By people like me I reckon you mean people who question things even if they benefit me.
I reckon we got about the same size outfit, if my memory serves me. I like messing with cows. But honestly, if they all died tonight I'd be alright. It would definitely put me in a be nice of a bind. But it's not my real living. I'm not so full of myself to think world policy should revolve around my side job.

Maybe them sick hogs will pan out and there won't be enough meat to feed world. When there's not enough supply those boys that have been colluding will turn on each other. Free market....but for that to work you gotta keep the government out of it.
Very true statement Fence. The problem is the govt is already in it and not in a fair and balanced manner either. I would welcome a free market and let the chips fall and see who makes it, but the market isn't free or balanced. It's controlled by folks with no skin in the game.

bball said:
callmefence said:
HDRider said:

I reckon we got about the same size outfit, if my memory serves me. I like messing with cows. But honestly, if they all died tonight I'd be alright. It would definitely put me in a be nice of a bind. But it's not my real living. I'm not so full of myself to think world policy should revolve around my side job.

Very true statement Fence. The problem is the govt is already in it and not in a fair and balanced manner either. I would welcome a free market and let the chips fall and see who makes it, but the market isn't free or balanced. It's controlled by folks with no skin in the game.
And I agree with that. But imo. You don't deal with a water leak by hauling water.. You shut the water off , dig up the line and fix it right. at Least if you're concerned about more than yourself, right now.

Current regs, at least around here make it impossible, or unaffordable to market privately, so you're stuck selling through sale barns.. I just put a steer in the freezer, 375 lbs a side hot, cost $1020 CAD (760 USD)... so the value of one quarter is easily gone right there.
Either the gov't works on our side, or GTFO, but the half-arsed stuff is what's killing us, paying us lip service and screwing us with regulations at every turn

Latest posts