Sittin hay on big truck tires?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
In my barn, I sit hay on pallets. Little aggrevating, but saves a lot of hay. Only tried them outside once, and wasn't too hot them outside. Thinking about a big truck tire under every roll for my outside hay. Anybody ever went that route?

I haven't touched a roll of my inside hay, and have enough outside hay to last through hay feddin. In other words, I'm gonna have several rolls sittin out next year.

Sounds like a lot of truck tires. How about cutting some logs and lay two down close enough that your tractor can straddle them and set the rolls on top of that? It would keep them up off the ground.

pricefarm said:
Sounds like a lot of truck tires. How about cutting some logs and lay two down close enough that your tractor can straddle them and set the rolls on top of that? It would keep them up off the ground.

I actually have enough light poles to do that, but I stack 3 high in a pyramid and tarp. Nothing ever lines up like you wish it would. Be fine in a row, and I have done it.

Bigfoot said:
pricefarm said:

I actually have enough light poles to do that, but I stack 3 high in a pyramid and tarp. Nothing ever lines up like you wish it would. Be fine in a row, and I have done it.

Build a hay barn please.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Bigfoot said:
pricefarm said:

Build a hay barn please.

I'm afraid my hay prosperity will be short lived.

Also , unrolling saved me more hay than I was planning on. In years past, my outside hay wouldn't be outside long enough to see much loss. This year, it sat all winter.

Could you pour a gravel pad with some larger rocks so it would drain water good ? I just think trying to set the rolls on tires and dealing with that many tires would be a pain.

I've been the tire route. When it gets really cold the tires freeze to the bottom of the bale. Talk about a pain.
The hay I have to stack out side I stack one on end and one on top to form a tee. There stacked on gravel. The top bale sheds water for the bottom bale and you only have one end touching the ground for two bales.

pricefarm said:
Could you pour a gravel pad with some larger rocks so it would drain water good ? I just think trying to set the rolls on tires and dealing with that many tires would be a pain.

I could. I've been threatening to get a dump truck. A 20 ton load of rock is $400. A few loads at that price would build a roof with no sides.

SBMF 2015 said:
I've been the tire route. When it gets really cold the tires freeze to the bottom of the bale. Talk about a pain.
The hay I have to stack out side I stack one on end and one on top to form a tee. There stacked on gravel. The top bale sheds water for the bottom bale and you only have one end touching the ground for two bales.

We would seldom get a freeze that hard. Did the tires seem to save much hay.

I may try a row stacked as you described as well. Sounds plausable that it would save hay. Perhaps like you described, with a tire would be my route.

Bigfoot said:
SBMF 2015 said:

We would seldom get a freeze that hard. Did the tires seem to save much hay.

I may try a row stacked as you described as well. Sounds plausable that it would save hay. Perhaps like you described, with a tire would be my route.
Yes, I think the tires probably did save some hay. We tried using them back when we had a twine only round baler. The other thing I remember about them is that with a 3pt carrier style bale mover it was harder to get away from the bale.

I've done this both inside and outside for hay storage. Does it help? Yes. Is it worth it? Maybe?

I generally had better luck using 3-4 passenger car tires than one truck tire. As mentioned, they will freeze to bales, twine, etc.

If I didn't already have stacks of inherited old tires I wouldn't go get tires for the express purpose of using them to place bales on. But since I have the tires I'm really only out the cost of making my kids place the bales while I stack. Sometimes that doesn't seem worth the expense (DAD!!!! REAALLYYY!! OLD TIRES!)

Stickney94 said:
I've done this both inside and outside for hay storage. Does it help? Yes. Is it worth it? Maybe?

I generally had better luck using 3-4 passenger car tires than one truck tire. As mentioned, they will freeze to bales, twine, etc.

If I didn't already have stacks of inherited old tires I wouldn't go get tires for the express purpose of using them to place bales on. But since I have the tires I'm really only out the cost of making my kids place the bales while I stack. Sometimes that doesn't seem worth the expense (DAD!!!! REAALLYYY!! OLD TIRES!)

I got 3, I had them in mind for the job.

Call me a Fat Lazy SOB, but I would not climb in out of the cab for the amount of hay I would save, 72 years of carrying 50 pounds of fat, my knees are shot. power poles sound much EZR.

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Use the poles to support a metal roof. Heck you cold even call it a "barn" like that flat lander down in Florida built.

That's funny stuff right there. It's amazing to me how cattle people always talk about how much hay cost and how much gets wasted but refuse to build a barn.

We have quite a few that build a hay shed with only a roof. There is some waste on the sides of the outside bales, but the ones inside are all good.
We have used tires many times. A pain to do but it does save hay. A good gravel base will help some but if they are protected on top you will save more.

Usually, my first cut goes in the barn, and my second cut sits out. The second don't sit outside too terribly long, before it's fed. Unique situation going in to next year......barn is full. Both cutting will be sitting out. I don't foresee having this problem very often.

Bigfoot said:
Usually, my first cut goes in the barn, and my second cut sits out. The second don't sit outside too terribly long, before it's fed. Unique situation going in to next year......barn is full. Both cutting will be sitting out. I don't foresee having this problem very often.

That's a heck of a "problem" to have.

Bigfoot said:
pricefarm said:

I could. I've been threatening to get a dump truck. A 20 ton load of rock is $400. A few loads at that price would build a roof with no sides.

Ground up used concrete will go for about $450 here; truck and pup advertising 20-25T. Problem with anything of the sort trucked in is that the area is growing leaps and bounds and as a result, things are pricy.

On building a hay barn, I have seen some very large ones around here and most have 3 sides. I just wonder what a good wind does to something like that? I do agree, getting the hay up on high ground, under a permanent cover is what needs to be done, especially if you are not net wrapping.

Latest posts