sink problems

Help Support CattleToday:

tncattle

Reaction score
Our tenants called from our condo we rent and said the sink is backing up.

To be exact they said that there is water standing in the dishwasher and when you run the garbage disposal that it backs up in the other side of the sink also. Any ideas?

I figured it's a line stopped up somewhere and of course I got drive 30 miles one way to unstop it. They do pay their rent on time always but man no one seems to be able to try and figure out any of their own problems anymore.

The dishwasher and the kitchen sink are normally connected so your problem is there. To save you some trouble and be on the safe side you might want to run a snake through it cause it maybe a buildup of greese further down the line. The cost of a good snake would be about the same as another trip. Once you've run the snake get them to pour a few pots of boiling water down the drain. Good luck. Isn't it wonderful being a landlord?!

BTW - if Greg says I've told you wrong then I'd listen to him and forget everything I said. This is just what I'd do but I'm no plumber.

If they did something and managed somehow to damage the pipes,would they be liable?

Peg
I believe you are correct , if a rentor damages rental property in anyway they are responseable for damages. Per Judge Judy !

Why didn't you just pm the on board plumber to begin with. Service call to Tenn. is $1500 plus parts. Yeah, it's the dishwasher causing the problems. If you try a plunger, hold the oppisite side of the sink with a towel or something. Jo had the best idea I ever heard. He's got it RIGHT. Before you go though, tell them to buy some kind of LIQUID drain cleaner. Tell them to pour it down the sink before they go to bed. Not the recommended amount, about a gallon of it. Put about a cup of water in the sink to stop the fumes. When you get there, fill the sink with hot water and see if it will drain all at once. If not, plunge or run the tape. If they will use the LIQUID drain cleaner trick once a month, problem will never happen again. Also watch the soap they're using, Liquid soap won't cause as much problems as powdered soap. Have fun getting grease and the most unwashable grub you have ever dealth with off your hands. gs

Yeah, what he said. Greg, what's your opinon on the liquid fire? Have heard its good but then I've heard its bad.

Jogeephus":1e84omhw said:
Yeah, what he said. Greg, what's your opinon on the liquid fire? Have heard its good but then I've heard its bad.
My question also.
I like liguid fire aka sulphuric acid. I cannot see any damage so far and it works!!
The stuff is only recently available here, it was gone from the hardware stores for a couple years. Is that just an Indiana thing or nationwide?

tncattle":1oz3brz1 said:
Our tenants called from our condo we rent and said the sink is backing up.
man no one seems to be able to try and figure out any of their own problems anymore.

Was once a landlord myself. They consider it your problem.

fitz

If they try the acid and it doesn't clear the line,you are gonna have a heckof a mess trying to run a snake thro that! Gonna take full battle gear,facemask,gloves,such.. How do I know? Ummm :secret:

peg4x4":28lf1eiw said:
If they try the acid and it doesn't clear the line,you are gonna have a heckof a mess trying to run a snake thro that! Gonna take full battle gear,facemask,gloves,such.. How do I know? Ummm :secret:
Been there, the skin heals. Any LIQUID drain cleaner is probably as effective and any other. The reason I stress liquid is too many people try a powder that mixes with water, but when it sets, it becomes concrete. Always use a liquid and you'll be fine. gs

plumber_greg":2k07xtem said:
Why didn't you just pm the on board plumber to begin with. Service call to Tenn. is $1500 plus parts. Yeah, it's the dishwasher causing the problems. If you try a plunger, hold the oppisite side of the sink with a towel or something. Jo had the best idea I ever heard. He's got it RIGHT. Before you go though, tell them to buy some kind of LIQUID drain cleaner. Tell them to pour it down the sink before they go to bed. Not the recommended amount, about a gallon of it. Put about a cup of water in the sink to stop the fumes. When you get there, fill the sink with hot water and see if it will drain all at once. If not, plunge or run the tape. If they will use the LIQUID drain cleaner trick once a month, problem will never happen again. Also watch the soap they're using, Liquid soap won't cause as much problems as powdered soap. Have fun getting grease and the most unwashable grub you have ever dealth with off your hands. gs
Oh Greg you disappoint me.... :lol: You know as well as I do that it is to much of the wrong stuff they fed the garbage disposal that is causing the problem. :nod: The dishwasher is just pumping the water faster than it can get by the clog. :2cents:

Most people will control the grease they pour down the sink by putting the grease in the dishwasher with the dishes. Glad they do, I enjoy making 3 dollars cleaning out someones sink. gs

Got it fixed, just needed plunged and the renter wasn't strong enough to do it! Oh well, they always pay on time and the place is kept real clean so I'm happy with them. Heck, one renter we had called us one time to tell us the light bulb over the bed was burned out. I took the phone from my wife and said just change it and don't call us for burned out light bulbs. Some people are so helpless.

tncattle":3m6pfsvg said:
Got it fixed, just needed plunged and the renter wasn't strong enough to do it! Oh well, they always pay on time and the place is kept real clean so I'm happy with them. Heck, one renter we had called us one time to tell us the light bulb over the bed was burned out. I took the phone from my wife and said just change it and don't call us for burned out light bulbs. Some people are so helpless.
I didn;t know that Misty was your renter

dun":1npc7zi1 said:
tncattle":1npc7zi1 said:
I didn;t know that Misty was your renter

:lol:

Latest posts