AC problems

Help Support CattleToday:

houstoncutter

Reaction score
Well you are always full of information so Ill run a problem by you. My ac just aint cutting it. Main problem seems to be getting humidity out of the house. The compressor is a couple of years old. Ac guy has checked everything out and he says its charged correctly and pressure are correct.
I got pissed and bought an dehumiditfier. Its taking water outa here like crazy. Problem with that is it produces heat while its running. Other day when the humidity was low here in the 35% range. I had the house down to 30% humidity, the ac came on and the humidity went up 8% in one cycle. You fellas have any ideas as to whats wrong?

houstoncutter":yqrnyrpz said:
Well you are always full of information so Ill run a problem by you. My ac just aint cutting it. Main problem seems to be getting humidity out of the house. The compressor is a couple of years old. Ac guy has checked everything out and he says its charged correctly and pressure are correct.
I got be nice and bought an dehumiditfier. Its taking water outa here like crazy. Problem with that is it produces heat while its running. Other day when the humidity was low here in the 35% range. I had the house down to 30% humidity, the ac came on and the humidity went up 8% in one cycle. You fellas have any ideas as to whats wrong?

Your expansion valve could be sticking or stuck causing the unit to freeze up.

Check the A coil (inside the plenum) more air movement means more humidity being removed (presuming fan speed is appropriate). A coils get dirty all the time, (people don't change filters enough or use a quality filter) plus they can be a bytch to get at inside the plenum..any quality HVAC company will have the know how and necessary chemicals to clean it.

Edit to add: make sure you have adequate return air to unit.many a contractor skimp on return air and it's one of the single most important aspects of your system.

The coils are clean, filters are changed weekly. Its putting out cold air but its not getting the moisture out. The unit is sized properly as we have lived in this home since 94 when it was built. The compressor that was installed last year is the only new item to a system that has ran pretty good in the past.
Gonna put soaker hoses on the roof tomorrow to try and lessen the heat load.

Are you getting any water out of the condensation drain at all?

houstoncutter":2ruwhark said:
The unit is sized properly as we have lived in this home since 94 when it was built. The compressor that was installed last year is the only new item to a system that has ran pretty good in the past.
I would get an ac tech (not the same one) to see if that compressor is the correct one for the size of your unit. If it worked in the past, it should work now!

I've heard of cases where the AC was over-sized for the space, and didn't get the humidity out because it didn't run long enough before getting down to the correct temperature and shutting off. It doesn't sound like that's the situation in your case, but I thought I'd mention it anyway.

Today the upstairs and downstairs units are running simultaneously to keep the house cool.
That is unusual as the upstairs unit rarely runs unless it is hotter than the hinges of the gates to
heII. And it is today we topped out at 111.

houstoncutter":m9thedz3 said:
I know its strange, we put the same size compressor as the old one. Its just be nice hot here now..lol
When you put (or had someone else put) the new compressor in, did the new one use the same type refrigerant the old one used?

Latest posts