Some of the problems ranchers have

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
I have two ranches divided by a neighbor , 3/4 of a mile across the neighbors ranch separates my two ranches. My problem is when I take cattle that are raised on my home ranch to the other ranch 3/4 miles across neighbor from my home ranch , they are back home the next day. So now I have two separate herds that I do not rotate.
So yesterday morning I take my herd bull to the other ranch to breed the cows, this morning I check the cows on the home ranch and there is the bull standing there grinning at me. :cry2:
Now I have two Bulls on my home ranch and none on the other ranch, Selling him and replacing him and putting a new pernament bull on the the other ranch is the only answer I can come up with.
He is a good young bull I sure do hate to sell him. I just bought a $ 7000 bull to put on the home ranch with my better cows so it is not an option to move the new bull.
I though I would share this information, to inform others of different problems we have, It is amazing the homing instinct cattle have. I was talking to the neighbor, he bought a horse 10 miles away, the horse got out that nite swam the San Marcos River and was back home the next moning. :cboy: Does anyone else have any unique situations they have encountered with Farm animals ?

Neighbor has rented a close pasture to.me for over 20 years. Well this spring he doesn't have it due to family issues with original landlord. However no one told his cows and they promptly got out the first part of April and walked the half mile to their calving pasture. They did not want to turn around so I went and helped a s they were stomping my Hayfield anyway. He said that he couldn't even get them stopped.long enough to get help.

We loaned our bull to a neighbor a couple miles away one year. All was fine until he got all of his cows bred. Seems he got bored and decided to come home. Once the neighbor seen our bull was missing he come running over to our place with hat in hand to tell us he lost our bull. We told him the bull beat him there by about 30 minutes.

Had a brangus bull jump the fence. The neighbor only had a few cows and no bull. I suggested let s just leave him a few weeks or he will just go right back. After a couple of weeks he started stomping up and down the fenceline wanting to come home..The fence he jumped Ran along a terrace. The ground on the neighbor side was a good deal lower so he couldn't jump back over. I hooked up a trailer, got a bag of cubes, some portable panels.I pulled up to him in the pasture prepared to set up a trap. He walked up to the back of the trailer. I opened the gate and walks right in and stands there like some old playday mare.

LRTX1":3oumvjcb said:
We loaned our bull to a neighbor a couple miles away one year. All was fine until he got all of his cows bred. Seems he got bored and decided to come home. Once the neighbor seen our bull was missing he come running over to our place with hat in hand to tell us he lost our bull. We told him the bull beat him there by about 30 minutes.

I would have loved to seen that in person. I bet you both got a good laugh out of that.

Strangest thing for me was one day a heifer calf showed up wanting in the pasture. Nice calf, about 800 lbs. Rather than have her get on the road and be hit I cut the fence and let her in and put out the word I had someone's calf. No one ever claimed her and the sheriff eventually told me she was mine.

I also had a fence jumper. The old cow would jump the fence then turn around to see if any of the others followed her. If they wouldn't follow her she would walk around to the front gate and stand there until someone opened it for her to get back in.

Had some of my guys go pick up a barren cow out of a pasture where we were fenceline weaning calves...As my luck goes, they loaded the wrong tag # cow that actually had a calf there and moved her 5 miles to my holding pen where I accumulate stock that is going to sale...The next day she was gone... We found her back in the pasture with her calf...If she went in a straight line back, she had to cross 2 rivers, through a 16,000 population town, cross about 5 roads and about 6 other fenced farms...And did it all in one night.

LRTX1":3p4cbkf4 said:
I also had a fence jumper. The old cow would jump the fence then turn around to see if any of the others followed her. If they wouldn't follow her she would walk around to the front gate and stand there until someone opened it for her to get back in.

:lol2: :lol2: Don't guess you still have her do you? :lol2:

I kept her for a lot longer than I should have. Really never caused any problems. It was kind of funny coming home from town and she'd be waiting on you.

I have one cow that has calved in the neighbors holding field six years in a row. She doesn't touch the fence going his way and when we see her with a calf one or the other of us kicks them through my front gate and she's home until next year. She's strange in that she came from Nevada/Idaho so she doesn't know where home is but she calves in his holding field even if he has cattle in there.
As far as cattle knowing where home is, oh yeah. :nod: The first year on any place with non-native cattle is a constant battle but once they know where home is they stay there for the most part. On my biggest piece of ground I have my cows to where I can gather certain groups and just leave the gate open and after a couple of days I can shut the gate back and have the same set of cows back in the same spot that I gathered them from.

I had a heifer I'd just weaned knock a couple of boards down and go back to her mama. It's probably close to a mile, and she either got on highway 6 or crossed at least 5 fences. A bull calf, that had come
from another place, left with her, but he took up with some other cows and stopped about halfway. The rest of the heifers I'd weaned stayed put.

chenocetah":18tkgs8e said:
Had some of my guys go pick up a barren cow out of a pasture where we were fenceline weaning calves...As my luck goes, they loaded the wrong tag # cow that actually had a calf there and moved her 5 miles to my holding pen where I accumulate stock that is going to sale...The next day she was gone... We found her back in the pasture with her calf...If she went in a straight line back, she had to cross 2 rivers, through a 16,000 population town, cross about 5 roads and about 6 other fenced farms...And did it all in one night.

That's an amazing story.

Never had one go farther than the neighbors. Bulls mostly. The black bull I have now spent most of last year in one of two neighbors. Both had bulls that couldn't whoop is butt....at first, if his work was done, it wasn't hard to get him home. The last time it took quite some time and two cows needing a bull to bring him back to where he belonged. Picked him up from their and now have him in another pasture behind a good hot wire fence. Just have to keep a pasture between him and my other bull...as big as their feet are, they both can walk the cattle guards I have with no problem.

About 10 years ago I bought some old heavy bred cows. Kept them in a lot for a few days and turned them out. Was about 2 months later when I saw the red white faced one again......with her calf. I walked a lot of neighbors ground looking for her. Not all that easy to hide out on my place but she managed to do it.

Jogeephus":1lbvf2v9 said:
LRTX1":1lbvf2v9 said:

I would have loved to seen that in person. I bet you both got a good laugh out of that.

Strangest thing for me was one day a heifer calf showed up wanting in the pasture. Nice calf, about 800 lbs. Rather than have her get on the road and be hit I cut the fence and let her in and put out the word I had someone's calf. No one ever claimed her and the sheriff eventually told me she was mine.

We had one come in with some open heifers that were keeping next to a busy four lane highway. We had eight and one morning we had nine in there. We told all the local vets, extensions agents, and sheriffs dept. No one ever claimed her and we ended up keeping her for several years. I guess it made up for the feeder steer that we lost that went feral. We were loading him up and he cleared the fence and was never seen again. We tracked him into Laurel Fork wilderness area, which is a 14,000 acre block of government owned woods. Deer hunters saw his tracks up in there for about 8 years after that. I always wondered if he died of old age or someone finally saw him and beefed him.

I had a Brangus cow. She was gentle as can be, until you wanted her in the pen leading up to the chute. One day I was trying to chum her in, then resorted to trying to push her in. After out maneuvering me, (and causing me to slip and face plant in a cow pie,) she then attempted to leap over the H brace in the large holding pen and got stuck.
It looked something like this.

[URL[img]http://i881.photobucket.com/albums/ac11/branguscowgirl/WellCrap_zps3aa58110.jpg[/img][/url]

My ranch hand said, "Now what do we do?"
I said, Turn the hot wire back on and she'll get down!
Sure enough, she did. :D

Latest posts