Simmental x Angus bull for my heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

edde_1

Reaction score
I wonder if anyone over there have expiriens of Simmental x Angus bulls for heifers?
I thinking use one to my Charolais x Simmental heifers next year.

In Sweden it not common to use mixed breedes-bulls. Most because the bigest Slaugterhousecompany pays more for the meat if the father of the cattle that goes to slaugter is a purebreed.

In sweden we got, Charolais, Simmental, Limousin, Blonde d Áquintaine, Hereford, Angus and Highland.
And only in the colors the are meant to be, exept for angus, there are some red angus now.
But there is not any black charolais, simmental etc. And if you should say that you got some, then you would get killed ;-)

My experience with them is that they have no predictability when using them on crossbred cows. Too many mixes just means you can get all sorts of surprises. I've calved out a few hundred when they were bred to Charolais and Simmental cross cows, or British-based cows.

We have used Future Prototype, a simangus bull at Genex, with excellent results. He is an easy calver and his calves really take off and grow. We also sell a few simangus bulls each year and our customers are pleased with their calves. Many of our bull buyers have around 50 percent continential influence in there cow herds and a simangus bull is a good way to stabilize the mix.

bullpeddler":28wgruhj said:
We have used Future Prototype, a simangus bull at Genex, with excellent results. He is an easy calver and his calves really take off and grow. We also sell a few simangus bulls each year and our customers are pleased with their calves. Many of our bull buyers have around 50 percent continential influence in there cow herds and a simangus bull is a good way to stabilize the mix.
That was my thougt, to stabilaze the Simmental at atleast 50% in the calf. But maybe i´m wrong, dont have any expirience of mixbreedesbulls.
Do you call them simangus over there?

Edde,

Yes, we call them simangus. Most are black (ususally angus out of black simmental or vise versa) but a few are red out of red angus and traditional colored simmental cows. The females make super cows and the bull calves wean off well and bring top dollar.

I am not a big fan of either Simmental or Angus, but I went to a sale one time where they were selling SimXAngus bulls. Looked like some really thick bulls and sold we also . Take care. :cboy:

Latest posts