Simmental vs Angus

Help Support CattleToday:

There you go. The Simmental is the better of the two. Angus bull is definitely open shouldered :lol:
They are both pretty darn good bulls. I do agree about the shoulders on the Angus, but I do think the Angus' rump carries further down his hind leg. Both appear to have been raised right and ready to be turned out.

Exactly. Said he is. He has been with cows. I dont understand Simmental epds. The angus yw and ww are higher ? Is it different from breed to breed? I assume the Simmental calves would have more growth ?

His CE is decent. He is NOT a growth bull by his numbers. He doesn't have very good numbers across the board - most in the bottom 10% for the breed. Not something I pay much attention to. Do you know his actual WW or his YW?
You cannot compare the Simmental numbers against the Angus numbers.

Ww . Which would have bull would have faster growing calves ? The Simmental birthweight I was told is 78 pounds. That's all the data I have.

CS is 'Commercial Simmental'...essentially an unregistered animal of presumed purebred status(maybe?).
Not sure how ASA considers CS in figuring %
SM ...Jeanne may ...

How accurate are epds ? If the Simmental is bottom 10% for the breed , should I pass on him or judge him by his development? ThAnks.

Richnm":1zijkd4e said:
How accurate are epds ? If the Simmental is bottom 10% for the breed , should I pass on him or judge him by his development? ThAnks.
Will depend on how strong the links are to the trend setter bulls of the breed. Closed herds or limited links to the newest of breeding animals can cause a faulty skew.

Accuracies on a yearling are extremely low, they will change. If you think he was grown out in the management similar to what your cattle are raised in, his personal performance and looks should play a larger role in your decision making.

How accurate is genetic testing ? I have a Final Answer heifer that weaned at 680 lbs. and her ww epd is 42. I want to get a test on her not sure which one? Her dam never had info reported. Her mom is so long she didn't fit in the chute. I think she is better than a 42 ww. The dam weighs 1582.

Latest posts