Silver crossbred heifers

Help Support CattleToday:

glacierridge

Reaction score
Here are two of my brother's babies at GRF.
So far really like them, they are what I like to refer to as "mutants"
The first is from a dam about 1200lbs, calf is almost two months old, there second is from a dam that's around 1900, calf is about a month and a half, both little girls are pretty close in size.

IMG_20130219_184345_zpsb8890538.jpg

IMG_20130219_184330_zpsdb82005e.jpg

Just a note, GRF is not your regular beef farm. Less than 20 years ago my dad had all Holsteins, that calved year round. After switching to beef, not much changed. Nursing mommas in the barn, calves are easy to work with, not feral. Easy to breed the cows back with AI. In winter all animals are in if possible. Saves on feed, the ones that were outside ate double of the ones inside. When there is pasture dry cows are out in a single line fence, they all get a chance outside for part of the year. Running the calves out and cleaning the pens are good chores for my nephews. :)
Finishing steers year round as well, but it works for our niche market, as does the multi color cattle.

Oh, forgot to say that they are tied. It's not a freestall barn, it's not the newest barn, but the animals are content and taken care of. Nice when they get their time out tho too.

Added*
Also forgot, inyati13 thank you. You also have some nice stock, well taken care of!

Thank you for sharing your pics.
Ditto everyone. Very nice calves. Having gentle cows that will stand tied is a big plus.

That silver and white one is a unique looking animal I saw something like it at auction last year and had never seen anything like it and wondered what it's cross was. It was more dairy looking like a Holstein that was silver instead of black. What's the recipe for yours? Nice looking animals no matter what color!

Thank you inyati :) it's an old dairy barn but does the job.

E in PA "Chrissy" as we have named her is Belgian Blue sired, the dam is 1/2 Char and the majority of there other half is Simmental.
My niece's boyfriend will show her in about a month and a half, so up have more pics then when she's trimmed and washed up. :)

To me it looks like the second cross bred calf might have some herford in her. Maybe not, but that is my opinion.

We are about 40 miles north and a little east of Springfield, Mo. I probably have 60+ bulls available. There was one old bull that I liked that I never got any semen on and that would be Cracker Jack. If you know of any, I would still be interested and might even put in a few of these embryos that I have in the tank. Just send me a pm and let me know what you are interested in and may be able to help.
Ron

It ate my pic!!!
(and wont let me edit??)
Here was her side shot
IMG_9573_zps71032e85.jpg

and here is her partner in crime at the last fair.
chris_zps5410337d.jpg

She was an awkward teenager.
She's filled out her frame a lot since then again, need spring to get some clean and green pics now that they are over a year.

Latest posts