silly question maybe?

Help Support CattleToday:

lilcowgirl

Reaction score
It's been years since I've had to give a calf milk replacer, and now the time has arrived and the bag doesn't tell me how much to mix, can anyone give me the directions? Not sure if it was a error on the companies part, but they're not there.

I just had to fix a bottle myself today. Did the bag have a cup in it? It's one of those to 2 qts. of warm water. if it didn't have a cup ,I'll be glad to measure it out for you. Good luck.

thank you, yes it did have a cup and the cup said look at bag for directions oops...not there. Joy thanks a bunch the calf thanks you too, I'm sure.

lilcowgirl":27y1eipy said:
It's been years since I've had to give a calf milk replacer, and now the time has arrived and the bag doesn't tell me how much to mix, can anyone give me the directions? Not sure if it was a error on the companies part, but they're not there.

Usually it's 2 oz of milk replacer/pint of water.

dun":f5bp52m1 said:
What brand of milk replacer is it?

dun

Yes, post that info to get an accurate mix rate.
The milk replacer we use takes one measuring cup for each quart of water. I'm the 3rd person to answer how much we use to mix and so far there are 3 different rates mentioned.

I've used 2 kinds of milk replacer...Martindale and Purina.

The martindale is two 8 oz cups (provided in the bag) for 4 pints of water. The Purina is one 16 oz cup (provided in the bag) for 4 pints of water.

It all comes out the same.

Personally, I mix two 8 oz cups to 3 pints of water and feed that twice a day. Same amount of replacer, 1 pint less water. Just a personal preference.

Alice

I use Dumor Ultra The measuring cup inside is 10 oz. So Alice it doesn't hurt to put more powder in the milk,or less water. I always heard it caused scours. But then I also heard over feeding them caused scours too.
I'm not saying I do this to all my calves. But this one was borned 1-27-06.She always acted like she was straving. So I gave her a gallon of replacer. She ate that way until last month. One gallon in the morning and one gallon in the evening. Plus her feed and hay. I don't think she looks that bad
Brads_1_026.jpg

Joy in Texas":20memcxp said:
I use Dumor Ultra The measuring cup inside is 10 oz. So Alice it doesn't hurt to put more powder in the milk,or less water. I always heard it caused scours. But then I also heard over feeding them caused scours too.
I'm not saying I do this to all my calves. But this one was borned 1-27-06.She always acted like she was straving. So I gave her a gallon of replacer. She ate that way until last month. One gallon in the morning and one gallon in the evening. Plus her feed and hay. I don't think she looks that bad

I noticed with mine that it was the volume, the total amount of what they were drinking that caused problems. After I read something on a Canadian extension service website about reducing the water while maintaining the correct amount of replacer was making a difference in scours in several dairy calf operations, I tried it. Now, those operations were using only 2 pints of water, and I was just too nervous to do that, initially. However, when the calves hit about 3 weeks, I go to 2 pints of water with the same amount of milk replacer. It also makes them eat more dry feed 'cause they don't feel as full.

I've done this for almost 2 years now, and I've had good luck with it. Yeah, some calves still scoured, and some died (that's just the nature of the beast when it comes to sale barn babies), but not near as many.

As for your calf in the pic, obviously the way you fed her worked...I've done the same...I just didn't do it in 2 feedings. I'll try to look up that website and pm you with it if you'd like.

Now, the way I do it is what I'm comfortable with...but one size does not fit all.

Alice

Thanks Alice and yes please send the info. I'm always willing to learn. I do have a question for you. Have you ever put dry milk replacer in the calf feed ? I wondering because I have a 3 month old I wanted to keep. We sold the cow yesterday. She fights me tooth and nail with a bottle. So I thought maybe I could just put the replacer in her feed. any thoughts?

Is the calf eating a good bit dry feed...at least 2-3 pounds a day? If she is and she's 3 months old, I, myself, wouldn't worry about milk replacer. However, the answer to your question is, yes, it's ok to put milk replacer in the dry feed. A lot of people do that to encourage the calf to begin eating dry feed. I've tried it...but the flies were awful...flies love that stuff.

I'll try to find that article sometime this afternoon.

Alice

Thanks again Alice. The calf is eating really good. My husband said she would need milk. But if she will be fine with out it .I'll let her be,because she sure puts up a good fight. I guess thats the limo coming out in her.
Anyway thanks for your help

Joy in Texas":342lrcxv said:
Thanks again Alice. The calf is eating really good. My husband said she would need milk. But if she will be fine with out it .I'll let her be,because she sure puts up a good fight. I guess thats the limo coming out in her.
Anyway thanks for your help

Calves that are that old and that have never sucked a bottle will beat you to death trying to keep from having taking one...not just limos.

Of course, it would be optimum to have had the calf stay on the cow for a while longer, but the cow left...the calf is eating feed...the calf seems to be thriving, obviously, so the calf doesn't need the milk replacer...and won't take it anyway.

All of our bottle babies go off milk replacer when they are eating about 3 pounds of feed a day. Lots of folks say 2 pounds a day...but I like to go to 3 pounds first. Our bottle babies are bought at auction, so there's really no choice. I'm dang sure not gonna continue to bottle feed a 5 month old calf...talk about getting hurt! I take that back...I would feed one that age milk replacer if it were sick or it looked as tho it were getting weak.

I really think your calf will be fine on dry feed and a good coastal grass type hay.

Alice

Latest posts