signs of impending calving

Help Support CattleToday:

buckaroo_bif

Reaction score
I was studying this cow today tryin to decide if she was bred or not...

[/img]
IM000539.jpg

:lol:

which one?? they are all looking pretty heavy! :lol:

Nope - can't tell by picture. Could just be a good volumed cow. Lots of my cows look like that AFTER calving. So bellies don't tell me a thing.
When the feet are hanging out - you can be sure she's close to calving :D

Buckaroo,

When her bag swells up and gets full she's getting close. Also, when she get's (how can I say this?) jiggly in the rear, she's close. :shock:

I think I would say she is close as 7 days or less. I will let you know when she calves. She looks a lot fatter in real life than in the picture and she has that *waddle*. I couldn't resist snapping a pic. :lol:

bif

One good way to determine when a cow will calve is to know when she was bred! 282 - 290 days +/- later you can expect some addition to your herd. :) When the External Genitalia appears larger, puffy and springy, that is a pretty positive sign of impending birth. When they lie down and stand up and lie down and stand up - Geronimo! :shock:

DOC HARRIS

buckaroo_bif":1gmbzz7e said:
I was studying this cow today tryin to decide if she was bred or not...

buckaroo bif,

That pic made me laugh so hard, I woke my wife up in the next room.

It appears that her tail is somewhat standing up. Don't know if she was pooping for the picture, but if the tail is up without poop action, you may be a parent sooner than 7 days.

I gotta save this pic!

aplusmnt":2j63ioti said:
cows are like women, never look better than when those bellies are about to pop with a baby. Great picture!

I tend to sympathize with the momma's when they are so big, and I always wonder if they are as happy as I am when that baby is out! ;-)

well no calf yet she was just waddling around this morning with the rest of the cows

:lol:

Need to cut back on the salt and water...looks about forty gallons over filled.

Have a herf heifer that is starting to look like that...starting to worry. DMc

Water cut backs should Not be a problem if it don't rain soon the pond is gonna go dry!

bif :lol2: