Signs and Scenes from the Past

Help Support CattleToday:

fit2btied

Reaction score
Seeing the thread on West Texas Ranches made me think back to when I was a kid. We moved from southeast Missouri to Kansas City for about 6 years. As we travelled between the two places, it seemed like every other semi on the hiway had a huge ETMF logo on it. Haven't seen one of those in years. Are they still in business? Used to be Fojo Studio (from DeSoto) billboards and fencepost signs every hundred yards or so. Also used to be signs for Pete's Cafe on fencepost after fencepost. We used to race to be the first to see 'em and call 'em. We always stopped and ate at an all-you-could-eat truckstop in Kingdom City. We asked dad if we could ever eat at Pete's sometime and he told us if we didn't stop sayin' Pete's Cafe, Pete's Cafe, Pete's Cafe, Pete's Cafe, Pete's Cafe, Pete's Cafe, Pete's Cafe, Pete's Cafe, that if we ever did stop, he was leavin' us there with Pete! Ahhh, the fun we had on those 6 hour drives with 3 kids in the back seat and one up in the back window!

dun":1gosut4n said:
No Burma Shave signs?
Don't knw why this Burma Shave thing sicks in my mind but 40 years ago used to see this one....one little sign about every 400 hards.

Railroad Crossing

Please drive slow

Cause this old bull

Is some cow's beau

Burma Shave

I don't remember the Burma Shave signs, but that could just be brain fade! This would have been from 1960-1966. I 'm thinking all the East Texas Motor Freight rigs were green with yellow logos. Not sure though, we were focused on hangin' out the window tryin' to get 'em to blow their airhorns!

Going down I 35 towards Austin, used to see signs for the Hidden Valley Store.

See Bees Make Honey At The Hidden Valley Store

Walnut Bowls At The Hidden Valley Store

... stuff like that.

We stopped there once. It isn't there anymore.

fit2btied":26l4vxah said:
I don't remember the Burma Shave signs, but that could just be brain fade! This would have been from 1960-1966. I 'm thinking all the East Texas Motor Freight rigs were green with yellow logos. Not sure though, we were focused on hangin' out the window tryin' to get 'em to blow their airhorns!
I think by 60 they had pretty much faded out and were gone by 63 or so. Vehicle moved to fast for a good read

john250":b4scyyw2 said:
Lammie":b4scyyw2 said:
We stopped there once. It isn't there anymore.

Coincidence? Hmmm?

We went when I was about 12 and it wasn't anything that impressed my 12 year old mind. I'm sure it was interesting. I think that the character of the area changed.

dun":1hlvzoux said:
fit2btied":1hlvzoux said:
I think by 60 they had pretty much faded out and were gone by 63 or so. Vehicle moved to fast for a good read
The interstates killed Burma-Shave signs.

Burma shave may be gone but you can still count on the SEE ROCK CITY signs, walls, rooftops and bird houses.

Latest posts