Sick Steer

Help Support CattleToday:

I suggest using the treament dose 5 days and prevention dose for a few weeks. I use Ampro crumbles and probios in the feed. If they have clinical signs Albon and Probios then preventive dose with some probios.

Mama_Mutschler":2hwrta45 said:
We are currently drenching them with corid and treating their water. I think we have one of them under control. I was wondering should I remove him from that pen when he's better? As I understand it this disease is in the ground and we would have to remove 6in of dirt to get rid of it. Is this true or will we be ok to stay in the pen??

As far as I'm concerned, yes...remove it when it's better and don't put anything on that piece of ground ever again. I don't know that removing 6 inches of dirt will get rid of it. But then again, that's just me.

Alice

Go to http://www.corid.com and get some facts. I tested groups of calves from the stockyards and 90% had it. Most people don't know they have it. Calves will show when stressed. You never see it in cows. I like ampro because it lets them develop immunity where decox doesn't. Don't freak out the vet was pulling your leg. I would have to stop raising cattle or scrape off more top soil than I have to spare and don't forget the ponds. Relax and don't stop treatment, it is common to feed decox November to May.

Thank you for the information that has been very helpful. I saw the field study and according to the weights and things we are giving him just what it calls for. I feel better after reading that. I just don't want her to lose her steer. She's put too much work into it. The vet comes out again tomorrow and this time I will be there to talk to him as well as her FFA advisor.

I'll keep you all updated. Again Thanks for your help.

The fellow we bought our property from had his whole herd come down with coccidiosis before we purchased it... I've only had one case (about 5 years ago) in the whole time I've run cattle on the ground. Coccidiosis is a protozoa that's in all cattle in small amounts... it's only when the numbers of protozoa get too great (usually caused by overstocking) that they cause problems in the animal. So I wouldn't fret over the fact that you've had an actual case -- just keep it in mind when you put other animals on that piece of ground, and be ready to treat if necessary.

Wow It turns out that our steer has Jared (sp) disease. Very rarely found in steer's, It's usually found in people and dogs. They say it's from tainted water so I pulled our steer off the automatic feeder and give him fresh water everyday. They put him on Probotic & A Sulfa Pill for 5 days. I guess we'll see. I just don't understand how he contracted it. Anyway, the other steer that is sick they couldn't find anything wrong with him, they believe that he just doesn't like the girl thats feeding him.(he had cocidiosis bur is cured now) We gave him a b12 injection and put him on probotic as well. We're hoping to see some improvement on them both.

My daughter's steer weighted in at 896 and he's lost weight from not eating so I hope we can get him back on track once we're through this illness.

As Always thanks for your input & support. I'll let you know if this run of medication works or not.

As previously posted, coccidiosis is in ALL CATTLE. Nothing to panic over, but definately you need to stay on top of it. I would automatically treat the water whenever you wean calves or get news ones in.
If you feed rumensin or (shoot I forgot the other name) - anyway they are coccidiostats and act as a preventative. We feed it in our minerals to all cattle.
Also, a word of warning about deworming. Be sure to check with the vet about the TIME OF YEAR it is for treating for grubs. Most of the wormers are also grumicides, and you cannot kill grubs while they are in certain migratory stages. So if he was not treated with a grubicide in the fall, be cautious. Different locations have different timing. We cannot treat after 11-1

Well we finished up the medication and my daughter's steer still has really bad loose stools. I have looked up alot of information on giardius and it says that it can be hard to get rid of and even fatal. Sigh. He seems to be eating again tho which is really good to see. We are going to have the vet come out again as I don't know what else to do.

I'll keep you all up dated.

Mama_Mutschler":ty925iac said:
Well we finished up the medication and my daughter's steer still has really bad loose stools. I have looked up alot of information on giardius and it says that it can be hard to get rid of and even fatal. Sigh. He seems to be eating again tho which is really good to see. We are going to have the vet come out again as I don't know what else to do.

I'll keep you all up dated.

Sounds to me as tho you've left no stone unturned. You all have really dedicated yourselves to this...I commend you. Good luck...I hope things well begin to turn around. :)

Alice

Good News! He's finally back to healthy stools and good eating habits. I think we finally kicked this nasty bug!

Thanks again for all your support and advice. :D

Latest posts