Sick heifer? Or too overly cautious?

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasShooter

Reaction score
I live in NE Texas and I have a 2-year-old crossbred heifer (4-6 mo.) that seems to be breathing deeper and more frequently (like a pant) than my other cows. The reason for my concern is I lost her mother a year ago (she was 7-8 years old) and it seemed as if she was acting the same way and I never found out the cause of death.

Could this be because she is pregnant? Could this be a respiratory disease? Something she ate? None of my other cattle have any problem and I have never owned any cattle that had a respiratory issue, so I don't know what to look for, etc. I'm I being to overly cautious or is there something I should do? Would the vet be able to diagnosis anything since no outward signs, or would it be a wasted trip? I would appreciate any advice.

Assuming she has been vacinated for IBR/BVD/Pi3 and the rest of that alphabet soup, if she doesn't have a temp, I would leave her be. Watch to insure she is eating and interacting normally. Could be the heat/humidity, could be pollen dust, could be she's just one of those kind of breathers. If she had pheumonia at one time it could be damage to her lungs. Could be a million things, or at least half a million. Now for the tough part. If you're really worried, have the vet give her lungs a listen. It will cost, but the peace of mind may be worth the dollars.

dun

TexasShooter":33ijkgt4 said:
I live in NE Texas and I have a 2-year-old crossbred heifer (4-6 mo.) that seems to be breathing deeper and more frequently (like a pant) than my other cows. The reason for my concern is I lost her mother a year ago (she was 7-8 years old) and it seemed as if she was acting the same way and I never found out the cause of death.

Could this be because she is pregnant? Could this be a respiratory disease? Something she ate? None of my other cattle have any problem and I have never owned any cattle that had a respiratory issue, so I don't know what to look for, etc. I'm I being to overly cautious or is there something I should do? Would the vet be able to diagnosis anything since no outward signs, or would it be a wasted trip? I would appreciate any advice.

She has been wormed and vaccinated with Ultrabac 8 – blackleg, and Vibrio-Lepto 5. But she has not been vaccinated for 'IBR/BVD/Pi3' . Would vaccinating her at this point be dangerous since she is 4-6 mo bred? I will watch her for a few days and if she doesn't improve, I may get her up and take her to the vet - like you said, 'If you're really worried, have the vet give her lungs a listen. It will cost, but the peace of mind may be worth the dollars.'

If you use killed virus vaccine it should be ok.
I don't know what's in the ultrabac-8. It may have the IBR/etc in it, doubt it, but it may

dun

I use the Ultrabac 8. It's simply an 8 way clostridial. Need something like Cattlemaster VL5 for vibrio, lepto,BVD and respiratory. Safe for all stages of pregnancy. I use it for whole herd vaccinations.

I thought it was probably some sort oc clostridail but wan't sure..

dun

D.R. Cattle":3fjftbwh said:
I use the Ultrabac 8. It's simply an 8 way clostridial. Need something like Cattlemaster VL5 for vibrio, lepto,BVD and respiratory. Safe for all stages of pregnancy. I use it for whole herd vaccinations.