sick dirt

Help Support CattleToday:

Billdevaul

Reaction score
i had a couple calves i got at auction that were sick and i wanna make sure i get the bugs outa the dirt in my calf pen any suggestions on what to use .. or how to do it?...

Billdevaul":fruva05b said:
i had a couple calves i got at auction that were sick and i wanna make sure i get the bugs outa the dirt in my calf pen any suggestions on what to use .. or how to do it?...

Interesting question.

Two thoughts come to mind as I think on this.

If it is indoors - bleach it down and let it sit. Work it and bleach it again.

If it is outdoors - let the sun bake it - work the ground and let it bake again. Bleach it? Perhaps this will help.

I will be curious to see what others have to say.

Bez?

I've asked calf operation people what to do about that. Some say spread lime...some say burn it off. The old timers tell me there's not a dang thing on earth that'll work...just don't put your calves there anymore.

I have a place that worked well for calves...under a great big tree...fantastic shade. It got corrupted. I sprayed it down with bleach and didn't use it for a year...tried calves on it...they promptly got sick. I'll never use it again. I'm beginning to think the old timers are on to something.

I'm anxiously awaiting other responses, also.

Alice

I mowed the weeds down almost to dirt, spread about 6 inches of old hay over the entire area and burned it, that was a few days ago, now i will lime it real heavy and till it then let it sit fer a few months.. sure hope it works...

Billdevaul":3ogjuaw3 said:
I mowed the weeds down almost to dirt, spread about 6 inches of old hay over the entire area and burned it, that was a few days ago, now i will lime it real heavy and till it then let it sit fer a few months.. sure hope it works...

Might want to work that dirt - bugs can go deep.

Bez?

Bez?":749hm7wp said:
Billdevaul":749hm7wp said:

Might want to work that dirt - bugs can go deep.

Bez?

Yeah they can. Might even want to work it and reburn it a few times - some of those bugs are really persistent, too.

Take sample of dirt and send to a testing lab. Otherwise, you're shooting craps trying to second-guess what the "bugs" are. Some "bugs" can persist in soil for decades. Once you find out exactly what the contaminating critters are, then you can initiate a targeted plan of action.

One thing nice about living way up nort, 10 feet of frost kills a lot of bugs. Never herd of such a problem.

mnmt

mnmtranching":1xkrm677 said:
One thing nice about living way up nort, 10 feet of frost kills a lot of bugs. Never herd of such a problem.

mnmt

If cold kills bugs, then why does the CDC and other such places freeze them? :?:

Check out the thread on anthrax. That isn;t what you have but will give you an idea what you're up against.

dun

When we had dairy calves we tried to keep them on gravel or chipped lime stone. For two reasons, one it drained goodand it was easier to keep the bedding dry, second if you had a out break of scours you could remove the 6 inches or more of gravel or chipped lime stone, let the sun dry the earth for a few days then replace the stone.

msscamp, Yah, I reckon there are bugs that freezing won,t kill.

Its just that I've never come accross this, or heard of this bug problem in the ground. But I'm learning. :shock:

mnmt

mnmtranching":1sabl1k4 said:
msscamp, Yah, I reckon there are bugs that freezing won,t kill.

Its just that I've never come accross this, or heard of this bug problem in the ground. But I'm learning. :shock:

mnmt

I sincerely hope your good luck continues! :)

Latest posts