Sick cat

Help Support CattleToday:

peg4x4

Reaction score
Last Mon one of my cats got outside,stayed out about 4 hours before she decided to let me catch her.. 'Bout 4 days later she threw up-not to unusal a thing for her,but she threw up 4 times last night.. I thought it was furballs,so gave her some petroleum jelly..no help.. I need to take her to the Vet,
but with all my Dr bills,there is no money.. She is 7 years old,
and not a nice cat to handle,tho she knows better than to give me a hard time..I'm worried she found a poisoned mouse or something---I'll probilly take her in tomorrow,if no improvement,
DAmm-just one thing after another...Any thoughts on what could be wrong?

Does she wear a flea collar? Have you put any flea medicine on her? I put a flea collar on my cat one time and cat got sick. Vet told me not to put a flea collar on a cat.

My mom told me that when an animal gets sick say from a snake bite that it should be outside so that it can go and eat the plants that it needs to get it well. We never did take a snake bit animal to vet and they all recovered nicely. Not saying she was snake bit but if you can't take her to the vet maybe put her out so she can find what she needs to get herself well.

I think that was the problem,she got out past me and stayed out for a while.. Don't know what she may have eaten..
She ate a bit today,and is not dehydrated,and the throwing up has almost stopped..

peg4x4":11l22nts said:
..I'm worried she found a poisoned mouse or something---I'll probilly take her in tomorrow,if no improvement,

Unlikely. It has been my experience that a cat will not eat a dead animal that it did not kill. I don't know how common it is, but I've also seen my former cat shy away from a mouse in the final throes of death due to poisoning. With my cat, eating grasshoppers was always an established method of inducing prolonged bouts of vomiting all over everything - I'm hoping your cat just has an upset stomach, and it will work itself out - no pun intended. :oops:

if shes made it this long she'll probably be okay if the vomiting has stopped and she isnt dehydrated. cats are tough. you say she started vomiting 4 days after she was out so thats enough to rule out poisoning to me. its probably a nutritional problem shes having? have you switched foods on her? is anybody slipping her some dairy products? the best thing for an animal like that is to let them have access to grass. "they" recommend having a pot of grass inside for housecats to eat anyway

oh and if she caught a skink and ate it, that would cause vomiting too (but not 4 days later)

Have you changed her regular food at all? We have one cat that if he has a change of food , it makes him sick.

blue tailed skinks particularly make cats and dogs especially vomit profusely and they will be drunk as a skunk for about 24 hours. sometimes they have permanent damage. i'm not sure about the broadheaded skink.

Toads also make dogs sick, not sure about cats.

Beefy":1qjy60mj said:
if shes made it this long she'll probably be okay if the vomiting has stopped and she isnt dehydrated. cats are tough. you say she started vomiting 4 days after she was out so thats enough to rule out poisoning to me. its probably a nutritional problem shes having? have you switched foods on her? is anybody slipping her some dairy products? the best thing for an animal like that is to let them have access to grass. "they" recommend having a pot of grass inside for housecats to eat anyway

oh and if she caught a skink and ate it, that would cause vomiting too (but not 4 days later)
That was supposed to read"4 hours later" Didn't proofread right :oops: :oops:

Cat is much better-Was sitting"sick kitty"& walking slowly with her tail almost dragging,besides the throwing up. Now she's got a crook in her upright tail,and is annoying me and the other cats no end.

Latest posts