sick calves 300 to 400 lbs

Help Support CattleToday:

jash

Reaction score
We are having calves die that have lameness in legs,trouble standing (feet spread wobbling) one today had swollen neck and face eye's rolled back. I have just gave them 8 way vaccine. Neighbor has all so had some but they are a half mile away. We have both fed the same hay that we have baled together and have been feeding same grain (feed) from feed store. Vet said on a scale of 1to10 would be 5 for blackleg. He saw a dead calf. He didn't really know what was causing this. Any help would be much appreciated.

That is terrible. Kind of sounds like Blackleg, but the vet should have been able to cut the calf open and see that.
I personally would give a shot of Selenium and a shot of A and D. Can't hurt, and could help if it's not Blackleg.

The thing about blackleg is we have never had a case of it and I didn't think it was a winter thing. I'm puzzled.

Get someone out there to find out what's going on. I've read on here where folks lose one or two calves like it's no big deal. To me it's a big deal, I want to know what happened to my animals.

I agree with HG! You need to get a vet out there that can give you some answers. It could even be a toxin. Plants, pesticide ect. We could throw out ideas all day, but you need a necropsy.

vaccines after they are sick isn't going to do too much, though it might be good for the ones that haven't caught anything yet.

Hope you find out what's causing this.

We raised them. The neighborhood took one to vet after it died and they wasn't sure what it was. We're talking to vet today. I was asking to see if anyone else might have seen this caused by feed or hay. Thanks

jash":3mvjsysg said:
We raised them. The neighborhood took one to vet after it died and they wasn't sure what it was. We're talking to vet today. I was asking to see if anyone else might have seen this caused by feed or hay. Thanks

Friend bought hay from a hog farmer that was using manure on the hay and his cattle calves and adults died similar to that.

Calf death always looks similar to me. I'd do as BCG suggested and have a necropsy done. Surprised the vet didn't suggest this.

Random thoughts.

How many calves do you have and how many died and how far apart did they die?

Feed from feed store could be a problem, but could ask around and see if anyone else feeding it is having trouble.

Number one suspect would probably be the hay. Possible toxic plant or some other toxin in hay. Could ask your vet about testing it, though could be hard to find something if it is scattered in random bales. Is anyone else besides you and neighbor feeding your hay and are they having problems?

I would get some different hay, and feed that to at least half your herd and see if difference between groups on your hay or new hay.

I'm guessing since the blackleg spores are in soil, more likely to be infected during summer when grazing. But perhaps you could stir them into the hay, also. Flooding increases risk of blackleg - don't know if that has happened.

You might try taking temps of calves - higher early with blackleg. Also run your hands over the swellings and see if you feel crepitation, or crackling of gas pockets produced by the organism.