Sick calf? or something

Help Support CattleToday:

gulfso

Reaction score
We have a calf born we believe in the last 24 hours. We found it this afternoon appearing very weak and seemed to be walking on his "toes". The mother is staying with him and attentive but we don't believe he's been nursing. His eyes are very bloodshot too.
We have another calf that we're bottle feeding so we tried giving the sick calf the bottle just to see if he would take it. He ended up drinking a quart and a half and seemed a little stronger after drinking. If he hasn't gotten colostrum is there anything else that can be done? Not sure if the "toe" walking is caused by weakness or something else. Any suggestions?

Colostrum in the first 12 hours is huge. Hydration, nutrition, making sure he is licked off.... Get him taken care of.

gulfso":1f8vzzg9 said:
We have a calf born we believe in the last 24 hours. We found it this afternoon appearing very weak and seemed to be walking on his "toes". The mother is staying with him and attentive but we don't believe he's been nursing. His eyes are very bloodshot too.
We have another calf that we're bottle feeding so we tried giving the sick calf the bottle just to see if he would take it. He ended up drinking a quart and a half and seemed a little stronger after drinking. If he hasn't gotten colostrum is there anything else that can be done? Not sure if the "toe" walking is caused by weakness or something else. Any suggestions?

He may have contracted tendons. If he's walking, they'll probably straighten out on their own.

Update: Calf was born 3 weeks ago. Legs were all cramped up and difficult standing, walking, hard to get milk, etc. Had him in pen with mom for most of the time (they escaped) and he was drinking some mommas milk and getting some supplement milk from bottle Was doing fair when they got out so I left him out where mom could get more grass and hopefully produce more milk. Was supplementing him a qt in morning and qt at night (that was all he wanted to drink)

Saturday he looked bad so I gave him another shot of LA 200 and that evening I gave him electrolytes. Yesterday and today he seems much better but he isn't improving at the rate I would like.

Been reading about selenium deficiency but he doesn't have all the symptoms. Would a shot of selenium hurt? He still only drinks about a qt at morning and qt at night but I do see him sucking mom periodically. The little guy has had a hard row to how so far and probably would not have made it this far without help (Alice your comments have been great) Trying to think of anything else that may help…all suggestions are appreciated.

A shot of Bose (selenium) will not hurt...and, I continue to supplement the calf with replacer and give him electrolytes daily. And, give him a squirt of probios daily. That's just what I would do...

Alice

Oh, I'd also give him a dose of vitamin B complex...

Alice

Has this animal been seen by a veterinarian?

An aside - I never use BOSE.

Beat the cost by purchasing some over the counter selenium and some vitamins. If you have any number of cattle you can save a fair amount.

If it is only one or two then no matter.

How much money have you got into this guy? Drugs and milk replacer and time. Beware of the living money pit. Sometimes it is better off to just go and buy a replacement.

Set a limit or you could be at this for months.

If this one makes it I hope you plan to ship it.

Good luck.

Bez>

Vet was out just after he was born on another call and gave him LA 200. Haven't been back to them. Like everyone else we have "pet" vets. Charge a lot of money for dogs and cats and a LOT of money for cows.

All I have in him is time a little milk replacer and sone "kick start"

Going to try the Bose and see what happens

Latest posts