Show Tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

I agree, a lot of people cheat. What are we teaching the kids when winning is the only thing? Look at the lamb winners from the National Western a few years ago. Sixteen of the sale lambs had been tampered with. In Colorado it's not only a lifetime ban from showing, but they press criminal charges. Is it worth having a criminal record to go from a 2nd place to a 1st place?

I agree on the cheating issue, and I cannot comment on your shows because I get the impression they are a lot more involved and ours are much more laid back. We also do not do the extensive fitting you guys do.

But, when I talk show tricks, and everyone does them, they are not at the extreme you seem to be talking about. We are not taking, for example, an angus heifer with white above the navel (a disqualifying fault) and painting the white spot black. We are not glueing teats on dairy cows. What I'm talking about is merely cosmetics - a scar on a heifers face, or side, from going through the barbed wire fence. A patch on her side from rubbing on a post. Things that I wouldn't give a hoot about if I was judging the animals, but because there are always going to be photos and always going to be seedstock buyers watching, I will do everything to make sure the animal looks its best.

Actually, by those rules you posted, are you guys not allowed to use fake tails? We have shown a couple of cows years ago that the foxes got to, and they only have 3/4 of a tail, so we give them false ones. Its just for appearance sake. Lots of other people have been in the same boat too.

It interesting, because in handlers (showmanship I believe you call it) classes, I've seen judges actually place a kid down if the animal has a bald patch or something like it and they haven't done anything to disguise it. It all about presenting the animal at its best.

I can see where it can get a bit dicey. I showed a cow last year who, when she was tied up, threw herself down and there was a bit of wire on the fence, and she cut herself right where a caesar would be done. It was a huge cut, and every show I went to I kept getting asked by the judge if she'd had a caesar. I got so sick of it I started painting it - but I can see that some people would do this if the cow really had had a caesar. Its not something I would do though.

if your calf has a little to much extra skin put rubign alcohol on their necks then put one of those ice things aroung their neck a couple of classes before and when you take it off their skin will be tightened up and look cleaner. (try at home before you use it at a show).

you can use everclear to calm a calf down or mix meletonin with water and drench them with it.

Last post is a prime example. Giving a calf Everclear? Drenching with melatonin? Giving anything to cattle that isn't meant to be given to cattle is ILLEGAL!!! Even a product that is legal to give to cattle used in a manner not specifed by the instructions, is ILLEGAL!!! At the National Western, every carcass is checked for substances. What is the withdrawal time for Everclear? For melatonin? I could care less if "everyone's doing it". Doesn't make it right or legal. Simple fact, if I see someone doint it, I'll report it. It's hard enough to compete with a level playing field. When people are cheating, makes it even worse. I couldn't look at a ribbon or trophy if I knew I had to cheat to get it.

OK well first of all melatotion doesnt have a with draw period. Everclear is alchohol.

Giving anything to cattle that isn't meant to be given to cattle is ILLEGAL
no not all the time. giving them melatotion aint illegal. no matter what u say aint going to keep other people from cheating if they want to win they will cheat.

Whew, this gets really far fetched. Why in the world would you give a calf alcohol???? I understand there are going to be folks that want to win at all costs, I've seen ear pieces in kids ears, with dad on the outside of the ring telling them what to do, people running out to their trailers to ACE a calf up so the prissy little girl showing it can control it. That's not what it's supposed to be about. Work with those calves day in and day out spend time with them work, work, work, then you don't have to resort to all that nonsense. Don't mean to get on my soapbox, but there are kids out there every day covered in pooh, and dirt and blood-mostly their own, breaking and working with their calves that's what it takes to be a winner.

SHOWMOM":1trsy7w5 said:
Whew, this gets really far fetched. Why in the world would you give a calf alcohol???? I understand there are going to be folks that want to win at all costs, I've seen ear pieces in kids ears, with dad on the outside of the ring telling them what to do, people running out to their trailers to ACE a calf up so the prissy little girl showing it can control it. That's not what it's supposed to be about. Work with those calves day in and day out spend time with them work, work, work, then you don't have to resort to all that nonsense. Don't mean to get on my soapbox, but there are kids out there every day covered in pooh, and dirt and blood-mostly their own, breaking and working with their calves that's what it takes to be a winner.

Please stay on that soapbox of yours!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

This is from the NATIONAL CODE OF SHOW RING ETHICS
IAFE (INTERNATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF FAIRS AND EXPOSITIONS) I think most if not all major shows subscribe to these rules.

5. Any surgical procedure or injection of any foreign substance or drug or the external application of any substance
(irritant, counterirritant, or similar substance) which could affect the animal's performance or alter its natural contour,
conformation, or appearance, except external applications of substances to the hoofs or horns of animals which affect
appearance only and except for surgical procedures performed by duly licensed veterinarian for the sole purpose of
protecting the health of the animal, is prohibited.

I think giving a calf alcohol or putting alcohol on it's skin would be covered here. A lot of the other rules involve drugs, both OTC and prescribed. Our county fair prohibits drenching of any substance, including water, unless done by a vet. I don't care how you slice it, or try to justify it to yourself, these things are not only ethically wrong, but there are specific rules against it. Just because "he's" doing it, doesn't make it right. I get so tired of the attitude that it's alright to cheat because everyone's doing it. I don't blame the kids, this is the way they were brought up. Maybe if a few parents were held accountable, this would stop. If you have to cheat to win, or use some "tricks", you're the loser. Obviously your calf isn't good enough, or you didn't do enough work getting it ready. It's also just one person's opinion on one day, when they pick the winner. Grow up, get over it, and try harder next time.

You Are Totally RIGHT. It is sad that "win at all costs" attitude some have, but we're going to have to deal with that in everything we do but all we can do is try to do what's right and go on. Because like you said that is just one judge's opinion on that day :roll:

The key to all of the above posts is to no your show rules and abide by them. Were I show we can dye the cattle the same color they already are. Pumping is legal but not encouraged. Almost anything goes in jackpot shows. In County shows anybody touching that animal that is not a family member or a leader is illegal. It all depends were you are showing at. I was under the impression that melatonin was a herbal supplement therfore it has no withdraw period and is legal almost everywere. That is what Grow and shine and other supplements are based on that are sold nationally. My family members work hard so it is easier for us at shows we train them to drink water with koolaid in it to mask chlorine that is in the local water, although some people might think holding a calf away from water for 8 hours so they will fill up before the show ring is wrong also.

6M Ranch":j2zkb8hf said:
A lot of the other rules involve drugs, both OTC and prescribed. Our county fair prohibits drenching of any substance, including water, unless done by a vet.

Wow, that is harsh - one should be able to drench their own calf if needs be without a vet.

I agree about the alcohol - if your animal is too nervous for the showring - you havent done your job in preparing for the show.

After showing two steers, I was amazed at different techinques used to make them look "better" I was the only girl showing - and an outsider, so I wasnt up to date with all the ways to hide shallow spots by clipping and painting. They both went into the ring with a good bath, clip and hoof shine.

Also our steers were butchered after the show, so they were tested. That was the only thing that bothered me, I probably could have gotten a better price for him at the market instead of the mandated sale.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":34339zbz said:
So what is Everclear??

We always called it PGA (pure grain alcohol). Never heard such a thing as getting an animal drunk, but it did the trick for us (in my younger days of course!)

Michele

Ok let me give you guys andn example, lets say your heifer need some more depth of flank. would it be considered cheating if lets say you add hair and maybe drop the flank two or three inches from the navel all the way to the utters so it look like she has more depth

Maine Showman":1i74g3jd said:
Ok let me give you guys andn example, lets say your heifer need some more depth of flank. would it be considered cheating if lets say you add hair and maybe drop the flank two or three inches from the navel all the way to the utters so it look like she has more depth
YUP - key word is ADD - you can grow hair, but if you glue hair on, that's illegal.

alright thats what i was wondering simmi-valley cause we got some people down here that like to do that with not only the flank but there legs and tailhead to, so i was just wondering.

Unless the rules state that you can't add fake hair, it's not illegal. Plus most people are really bad at it and the judge will say something.

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2j4d18ud said:
I consider it illegal, but iowahawkeye is correct. Some shows have virtually no rules.

Iowahawkeyes is right, most judges see right through that fake hair beucase it doesn't look natural. Here's an example. I was at a little jackpot (definetly not worth using any fake hair in my eyes). This kid worked extremely hard getting his calf ready but there at the end when it was getting close to go into the show ring he threw some leg builder on all the legs and waded (sp??) a bunch up and stuck it in his flank. The leg builder was falling out the entire time he was in the showring. When the judge was giving his reasons he told the kid straight up that if he was going to use the leg builder he needed to use less and make it almost un-noticeable or not use it at all.

I think you really have to have the knack for doing it or it just doesn't look right.

I do not agree with giving calves Everclear or aceing the calf up. Kids need to take the time to work with their calves and get them show ready. Meaning calm and ok with the stick. There is no reason for an unruly calf at a show.

I would like to see all animals shown in their natural state. A quick comb to get rid of manure but not bathing, no shines, paints anything. Then the beef industry would be placing the ones that deserved it not just the owners who cheat the best.

Latest posts