Show Tricks

Help Support CattleToday:

ArrowHBrand

Reaction score
Does anyone want to share any show tricks they have? I know a guy who will mix rubbing alcohol into Final Bloom because he thinks since rubbing alcohol evaporates so quickly it will give the calves goose pimples making their hair "pop". Also I know another person who limits their calves' water intake and then right before heading for the show ring lets them tank up making them look bigger and fuller. If you are allowed to use black paint, first spray the legs with white paint when you are fluffing them. You will be able to see the odd hairs that still need to be clipped then spray the white with black.

I also let them drink a lot right before the show and I use the white paint however I have never heard of the alcohol trick before? If you have one that doenst look good when it walks you can either walk her faster or walk her slower in the show ring....it usually helps

Using the alcohol is called Icing,they do it with sheep alot, it chils the animal and makes them tighten up.

We have some tricks that we use...

When we are getting the legs all boned up for the show, we do our prime time, then cover that with some Jet Black to help it dry. Then hit leg with some Ultra White. It not only shows you the hairs that you can clip off but it makes the leg look even bigger boned. Cover that with Jet Black and put 1-2 more coats on. Put on another coat of Jet Black then put some Black Finisher on it to make it shine.

We use the alcohol especially when we clip, not really around the fitting time.

And we also let them drink their fill before we hit the show ring.

Another thing we do is, when the judge comes up to feel the calf, we move their heads slightly toward us or away from us. If they have too much finish, push their head slightly away from you but not so much that the judge notices. And if the calf doesn't have enough finish, pull the head toward you slightly.

...And most people know how to get a top up or get a loin down.

That's about all I can think of that we use for now. If I remember any later, I'll post them.

-Angus Girl

i use rubbing alcohol and kleen sheen mixed and then we blow it in and then for the sheep we use alcohol and sullivans cool blue show brace you just cant use to much other wise it makes them wrinkle.
i go and put ez comb adhesive in and then spray on the White touch up and it makes them look heavier boned. and then i spray on the right touch up paint.
about a month before the show i put a few eggs in their feed to help the skin coat.
and then before you go home i like to wash every thing.(blocking chutes, stall dividers, trailer, truck, animals, and your buckets)

Well i dont guess this is really a trick, but if you always talk to them and use like "voice commands" (for instance come on = go). And always call them by their names, believe it or not, it can come in handy :lol: .

And no, i dont guess i have ever seen anyone use the everclear trick, wanna go into a little more detail on that one? :shock: :lol:

It doesnt help the apperence or anything it just calms them down. If a calf is touchy around one spot (flinches, wont stand still, moves back and forth in the chute) will calm the wildest cow down in a matter or minutes. 150% alchohol

Snider_Angus":30gude78 said:
It doesnt help the apperence or anything it just calms them down. If a calf is touchy around one spot (flinches, wont stand still, moves back and forth in the chute) will calm the wildest cow down in a matter or minutes. 150% alchohol
she wants to know how to give it to them

theres 2 ways and im not sure which one will work for you. you can start off by putting some in a bucket. Offer it to her if she drinks she drinks. Then if that doesnt work try a clean drench gun or a needleless syringe. My best friends calf is addicted to it. She needs to be in AA. J.M.O

start off with about 40cc's STRAIGHT and lead her around for a few minutes if shes still flinchy giver her 10 more.

that might not calm her down and if not just add more. IF she will drink it from a bucket let her drink 3 or 4 gulps then let her get some water. before you go to the show put it in a water bottle with a lable so people think its water.

lol im sure there is always the issue of overdosing :shock: :shock: :lol: thats a pretty neat trick though, i wouldnt have thought of it. But i remember this last show season at houston, i saw the folks across from us with a beer addicted cow, they let it have just one after another. This wasnt on show day or anything either, so trying to get them to bloat wouldve been pointless...

thats pretty small i would go with about 20 ccs or a shot and a half. its really a guessing game that you'll have to figure out at first. when your at home give her lets say, 2 shot glasses, then lead her around and tie her up. if she hasnt changed then add about 1 shot at a time. Now ive seen this stuff work against me 1 time it just got him excited and he got rough and it took a few hours for him to calm down.

Well, I have shown a lot of other people's cattle and so if have shown a few structurally incorrect animals. So a lot of the tricks I have perfected is getting them to walk/stand up so that their legs dont show the structural fault.

One of the bulls we are showing now is just a fraction toed out in the front (which by the way we dont consider a major fault as it means his shoulders are nice and tucked in) - and just be habit I have always stood him up with the feet right under him - then they dont turn out. Funny thing is that the breeders/owners didn't realise he was toed out until early this year he went to a show with another parader as I couldnt go, and she didn't realise so didn't correct it! They were kinda shocked when they realised :lol:

One of our heifers short steps when she walks slow, so I always keep her moving well.

Other tricks . . .

Putting shoe polish on ringworm patches/scars/cuts or whatever bald patches - brown for shorties, black for angus, bloom and talcum powder for white cattle

Of course there are always people asking me to lead their small cattle, cos Im so small I make them look big. Thats a kinda handy trick.

And then there is the udder trick, but I'm pretty sure everyone does that. But then for cows with bad udders, what you do is get a young kid to lead the calf, and get them to let the calf suck out in the ring.

I've got plenty more but everyone knows a good magician never reveals all his (her) secrets!

Be careful on using these show "tricks". Lot of things being suggested on here are illegal at many of the shows we go to. Direct from the NJAA rule book:

7. Each exhibitor is responsible for having his/her animal(s) presented in its natural conformation and structure without alteration or modification, except
for the grooming of hair and hooves. The exhibition of cattle displaying false hair will not be allowed. Painting of white skin and surgical alteration of
an animal's conformation or appearance is prohibited.
Any product administered internally or used externally to alter the conformation and/or appearance of an animal for exhibition is prohibited. This
includes the covering of white skin, false tail heads (or use of any false hair), use of graphite, powders, hemp or other similar substances externally,
and steroids, growth stimulants or artificial filling internally. Any animal found to be in violation will be barred from showing.
All entries are subject to visual inspection and/or laboratory testing. The exhibitor of any entry found to be in violation of the above rules will forfeit all
awards and premiums, and may be disqualified from exhibiting at future Association-sponsored shows.

Also remember, just because it's legal, doesn't make it right.

I agree that a lot of these tricks may not be legal for all shows, but you can't tell me peope still don't cheat the system at these shows. I've seen people pump water into their calves, in their chutes, and not even trying to hide the fact. I know someone who had their vet give their heifer a "tummy tuck" because her navel stuck so far down she looked like a steer. It's what your own conscious will let you live with on how far you will go to win at shows.

Latest posts