Show stick pointers

Help Support CattleToday:

Chris H

Reaction score
I thought I'd start a new thread because I don't want to detract from T&D Farms thread on her son's first show.

I found this fact sheet from Ohio State University about showing, http://ohioline.osu.edu/anr-fact/0018.html.
snip:
The length of the stick should be in relation to the size of the calf being shown. The exhibitor should be able to stand at the calf's head and be able to keep the head pointed straight ahead when reaching to place the back feet.

That does seem logical. But, they also say the length of the lead should be based on the height of the exhibitor, and that does not seem logical. The distance to the ground is based on the height of the calf! So, I'm not buying everything this article says.

I think it was good advice about carrying the stick everywhere so the exhibitor gets comfortable handling it before they get in the ring.

I also 'rock' the calf or try to stop with the back legs in the correct position so only the front legs need placed with the stick.

Any other ideas?

You can train a heifer/steer to stop with their feet where they need to be. If you know you are going to stop, slow the animal down and pull up on the head slightly to stop. The feet should be placed where they need to be, then you shouldn't need the showstick to move the feet. I'm trying to teach my 10 yr old this trick.

The halter strap length depends on the animals behavior for us. If the animal is easy to handle we use a halter with a shorter strap.

Keeping the animal fed, full and satisfied helps to keep the animal undercontrol. I've found that if a heifer/ steer is hungry they don't stand still when practicing showring stuff.

I agree with L Weir, you can stop the animal with its feet set up (or at least with 3 of them) pretty easily. I teach others to know well ahead of time where you will be stopping your animal to give enough space, then slow your animal down when you get close, and then go ahead and turn yourself around facing the animal and back up the last 2 or 3 steps. This way you are already in position when the animal stops, it makes the transition easier on both, and you can see the animal's leg position.

I certainly agree on the length of the show stick. Too many times I see little kids that have the little showsticks b/c their parents think they look cute and its the same size as them. Then they go in the ring and the kid can't reach the back feet without turning the calf's head around. Then the calf acts up and nobody is a happy camper.

Another key to easily setting up your animal is to use the halter. If you want a foot to go a certain direction, pulling slightly on the halter the direction you want the foot to go, while simultaneously putting light pressure on the foot will do a far better job than just pushing or poking the foot.

I think stick speed is also very important, and under-rated when teaching showmanship. The showstick can be used in so many ways in the ring to help the exhibitors, and one of the most important uses is to keep the animal calm and relaxed. Too many times I see kids that might be nervous or excited, and they have that stick go 90mph, that in turn makes the calf excited or nervous. A nice, slow, smooth, long stroke will do wonders to getting the calf to relax. Once the calf is relaxed and comfortable in the show ring, it is so much easier to set up them up. I always scratch a couple times as soon as they stop, then again each time I move a foot.

Ryan

:clap: oh................ what a great thread Chris :clap:

Another thing you can do with the show stick is loining the animal.

Im back, this is in the article:
The show stick can also be used to help level an animal's top or rump. Terms such as "raking the top," "loining," or "pinching the rump" all refer to the practice of using the hook end of the show stick to apply pressure on the animal's back in front of the tail head. This can help flatten the top and lift the tail head. It is advisable to do this prior to the judge looking directly at your animal; otherwise, you will be drawing attention to possible conformation flaws.

OK, got a question for you all. I've seen kids having their calves so well broke that the calf probably didn't need anyone on the halter to show; as adults, we never spent that amount of time with our open class cattle, probably did hurt us some! Anyway, we should probably work a lot more with grandson & his calves at home, to try to get them well trained. Grandson just isn't going to handle a full size show stick effectively to reach the back legs -- I wonder if it'd work to have someone beside him with another stick when training to set up the calf? He has 2 yearling heifers & 1 fat steer, they lead pretty well but definitely need work setting up.

Chris
I started my kids showing booster steers; my daughter is vertically challenged, as am I.
So I guess it's not her fault :lol:
Her Steer was the largest and heaviest steer to ever hit our fair. He was 1780 lbs. and 56 and 5/8in tall, huge big teddy bear. I got her a 68in. long show stick. She had one heck of a time getting use to it, took months. She stuck with it and took Grand Champion Booster Steer.
My opinion is, whatever he chooses to do, big or small; he uses what he brings in the ring.
I attached a photo of the steer. It is a picture that was on our fireplace. You can't see the entire animal but you can get the size difference of the animal to the kids.
The picture is of my son when he showed it at our fair and won class champion. Sorry I don't have a better picture, it's the best I could come up with. My daughter is about 8 in. smaller than my son, she was 8yrs old and my son was 10 :D gotta love it :p

I also took another look at your post above mine. I see no harm in helping him practice this way.
Try, you never know it might work :D then you can give advice on this matter to another person in the future :D :D :D

Chris H":h4a10r0d said:
OK, got a question for you all. I've seen kids having their calves so well broke that the calf probably didn't need anyone on the halter to show; as adults, we never spent that amount of time with our open class cattle, probably did hurt us some! Anyway, we should probably work a lot more with grandson & his calves at home, to try to get them well trained. Grandson just isn't going to handle a full size show stick effectively to reach the back legs -- I wonder if it'd work to have someone beside him with another stick when training to set up the calf? He has 2 yearling heifers & 1 fat steer, they lead pretty well but definitely need work setting up.

If he can't handle a stick that will be long enough to reach the back legs, then I would teach him how to stop the animal with the back legs where they need to be. I know that is a lot easier said than done. But if you have animals that will stand still with him, then he can stop them with the back legs scissored on the profile and then worry about only touching the front legs. Its tougher ont he side by side, when you want the legs directly beside each other, but that is when using the halter to help adjust legs comes as a big help.

The best advice I can give is practice. The more he practices with the steer, the more the comfortable the steer will be with him, and he will learn what works best for the steer.

Good luck with him. I know its tough with younger/smaller kids (I was one of them not too long ago), especially when the animals get more mature.

Ryan

it is a great thread.

ive never heard a judge comment on the size of a show stick
but i have seen judges get pretty upset with the size of the show halter lead.
even this past weekend, the judge mentioned about the length of the lead. after about the third class, he quit mentioning it and was placing those kids at the bottom of the class no matter how good a showman they are. says he doesnt want to see any kid tangled in the lead.
jmo, i just hate cutting the showleads it seems like such a waste of $$ but we do.

When my kids were showing, We'd take turns setting the calves up at least a couple times per week. We would get them set up let each person look at them while both holding the calf and seeing someone else hold it. At times we would spend an hour or so just setting them up and keeping them in place. This was also valuable time spent together just talking about the things that happened during the day, life, growing up and solving the worlds problems. It really helped the calves by just staying out in the pen with them set up. If someone got tired we would switch holders. Mom, dad and two boys. Great bonding time. Besides getting our little bovines used to staying set up and somewhat comfortable just standing at attention. We got most of them to be still enough to drop the lead and walk around them even to straighten legs at times.

On another note a [et peave of mine has always been making sure the show halter is fit properly and the lead is not to long or short. 2.5 ft was about my length. I always hated seeing the lead rolled up and tied with a tail tie or whatever.

I hear you on cutting off those leads! We've picked up show halters as needed, and couldn't always get the same color. I think I'm going to try to dye them all black and have some different length leads that can be switched as needed.

Has anyone used the trick of using the stick to scratch a calf just on the inside of the flank? A friend showed me that on a bull that wouldn't drink at the show, so he was looking pretty hollow. Scratch inside the flank and he puffed up! And of course he started drinking the day afte the show! :roll:

t&d farms":3tmsmrz1 said:
it is a great thread.

even this past weekend, the judge mentioned about the length of the lead. after about the third class, he quit mentioning it and was placing those kids at the bottom of the class no matter how good a showman they are. says he doesnt want to see any kid tangled in the lead.
jmo, i just hate cutting the showleads it seems like such a waste of $$ but we do.
that just bites, all that work to get kicked out on somthing like the length of a lead rope. Post that judges name too. Ill have the name of our judge by tomorrow.

Chris H":3gnt4dic said:
Has anyone used the trick of using the stick to scratch a calf just on the inside of the flank? A friend showed me that on a bull that wouldn't drink at the show, so he was looking pretty hollow. Scratch inside the flank and he puffed up! And of course he started drinking the day after the show! :roll:

Absolutely. If you have an animal that has a weak back, or hasn't drank much, you can give a good firm tug at the navel or just behind, the animal will pull their back up. Same theory as loining, just the opposite direction.

Ryan

show steer up":1yk5hv46 said:
t&d farms":1yk5hv46 said:
it is a great thread.

that just bites, all that work to get kicked out on somthing like the length of a lead rope. Post that judges name too. Ill have the name of our judge by tomorrow.

I certainly agree with the judge. Part of showmanship is being prepared, having a lead that is too long or too short is not proper preparation, and can cause problems. If the lead is too long and dragging the ground it gets in the way, can be stepped on or wrapped around the kids' hand (my biggest pet peeve). If the lead is to short it makes it hard for the kids to be in control (especially with a calf that is "spirited").

Ryan

Avalon":3gbxqqn3 said:
On another note a [et peave of mine has always been making sure the show halter is fit properly...

I agree with this. It bothers me when i see people having control problems and the halter is way down around the nostrils or way up on the eyes. I prefer the halter to be half way between the nose and the eyes, I've found this offers the greatest amount of control and cooperation.

Ryan

Ryan":ihq8wuhx said:
show steer up":ihq8wuhx said:
t&d farms":ihq8wuhx said:
it is a great thread.

I certainly agree with the judge. Part of showmanship is being prepared, having a lead that is too long or too short is not proper preparation, and can cause problems. If the lead is too long and dragging the ground it gets in the way, can be stepped on or wrapped around the kids' hand (my biggest pet peeve). If the lead is to short it makes it hard for the kids to be in control (especially with a calf that is "spirited").

Ryan
My feeling on this..............a showmanship class is just that, and I agree with the judge placing them at the bottom of the class. But a market class or breed class, the lead rope has nothing to do with the quality of the animal. If it became a safety issue then the judge should instruct the kid how to properly hold the lead without wrapping it around their hand. I have see judges do this for kids and they didnt place them lower for the quick lesson.
But from T&D Farms post it sounds like the judge tried and then got pist and punished everyone :( JMO :cboy:

it was just for the showmanship class, thats how he wanted it, it was his show to judge.
sorry but i wont post his name, just dont think its necessary

i just hate cutting the leads off! wonder can you buy shorter leads? never really looked

back to talking about showsticks, does anyone use those soft comb attactmachs? my son had some bday money and bought one for his showstick.

t&d, I don't think I've seen any attachments. Got any links to show them?

t&d farms":2jkqrzrm said:
http://highlandlivestocksupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=9_28&products_id=306&zenid=64d8ab229b00549f50183fabdd44126a
hope that link works

Soft Stroke
$12.50
Attaches to any Sullivan Show Stick to provide a massaging, scratching tool. The pliable plastic construction of the Soft Stroke makes even the most jumpy cattle more relaxed with its gentle feel.

My 10 yr old granddaughter has them on her show sticks and loves them. It seems easier for her. Less likely to jab them with the hook when stroking her animals.

I haven't personally used them. But some kids I know use them and really like them. Whether they actually have any affect on the calf, I don't know, but I have seen the kids feel more comfortable when having the attachment on the showstick. And that right there is 100% worth it.

Ryan

Latest posts