show steers

Help Support CattleToday:

lilfarmgirl

Reaction score
These are my son's show steers, whatcha think? I know the angus but falls off. Please tear them apart, and tell us what he needs to do. They both need brushed, combed and clipped.

Lilfarmgirl

Steer Pool steer

[/img]http://cattletoday.com/photos/data/503/thumbs/gabe_134.jpg
http://cattletoday.com/photos/data/503/thumbs/gabe_137.jpg
http://cattletoday.com/photos/data/503/thumbs/gabe_104.jpg
http://cattletoday.com/photos/data/503/thumbs/gabe_139.jpg

not sure what I did wrong, I can't figure out how to get the pictures posted. I followed the instructions. I really wanted all of your opinions.

Lilfarmgirl

The pictures are kind of hard to tell much on, but they look pretty good. From the picture, that Hereford looks nice. If you can comb those tags out of them and keep them in a barn with a lot of rinsing/conditioning and maybe a fan or two, you might be able to grow some hair which would really help them. On the Angus, he kind of cuts up in the flank and heart girth so maybe see if you can leave a little more hair in that area to give some depth. also, I'd make sure to loin him when showing to level him out. I really can't see much on the shorthorn, good luck tho and have fun with them!

Thank you!! I still can't figure out what I did wrong. The market steer is a short horn. I hope he does well this year, this is my son's first year showing in the market division. What does loin him mean?

Lilfarmgirl

On your first post you had the
the wrong way round.

(with the dash) goes at the end of it.

Hence,

will come up as a picture, but

[/img]URL will not come up as a picture.

Did that make sense?

I would hesitantly say the shorthorn steer looks the better of the two. excuse my ignorance of your showing systems but what is the difference between the market division and the one the other steer will be in?

The market steer is through 4-h, the angus is through steer pool. Steer pool gives everyone even starting ground. About 60 steer are brought in from around the county this year most came from the same farm. That way the kids are all paying the same price. His market steer is like everyother 4-h club I am guessing, you can spend as much as you want on a steer. He has to sell his steer pool steer at the fair, but he can not sell his market steer there because you can't sell two steers unless the market steer gets champion or reserve. To be in steer pool you do not have to be in 4-h. They both show at the same fair, two different shows. Once at the fair, the steer pool steer is washed the day of the show, no hair products or anthing like that is allowed. They just have to be dried before you hit the show ring. They always show angus through steer pool, I wish they would change breeds every year so kids get to work with other breeds, and learn about them.

Lilfarmgirl

Loining simply means that once the steer is set up, run the pointed edge of the showstick along the steer's topline (from the hips to a little before the shoulders for instance, or however far he needs-may only need to go halfway to the shoulders-just play with it to see). This will cause the steer to drop his loin in the high parts to even the whole top out.

For the reverse, if you have a steer that really drops in his top, you can "pull" his navel with the showstick and that will cause him to raise his back.

if you can take your son to a show before yours, a bigger show would be best, he'll learn a lot just by watching other kids show that have experience. Good luck!

Thanks for the explanation lilfarmgirl. Your system of showing is very different to the way we do things here. And as for your comment about them always using angus in the steer pool, i can understand how you feel. When I was learning I had the benefit of working with all the major british breeds of cattle, some euros and a couple of minority breeds. Looking back this was a really great opportunity as it allowed me to experience first hand the pros and cons of each breed and form my own opinions about them. Hopefully your son will eventually be able to do this as well. :D