Show steer and carcass steer questions

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
Ace weighed in at 735 lbs (show steer) and Sal weighed in at 685 lbs on Nov 2nd. They have been on 4H ration for 3 weeks at 11.5 lbs each with really nice free choice second cut hay .

When do we increase the calf starter ration and how much should we bump them up . I was thinking about adding a pound a day until they get to 15 lbs and then keep them on this for another 3 weeks or so .... BUT ????

Suggestions please , thanks :tiphat:

Fwiw ,they are both Gelbvieh calves .

Sorry about the typos etc. should never use my phone to post again ... :oops:

I'm by no means an expert or a wanna be expert on this, never showed or raised a show steer. But I do know from experience a little slower on the grain increase is much better than to fast. It sounds like you have plenty of time to get your show stock finished, so I would take them to 15lbs slower, meaning not rush them. I start a butcher steer, meant to be grained for 90 days at about 2lbs a day and get them to 10 to 12 lbs a day within 70 or 80 days (that's a just an on top of my head guess, on time and approx grain weight, but it should be close). I have had different steers "over load" on grain 3 times in the last 13 years or so. It takes a few days of watching, looking and wanting no disasters for them to come back. Sounds like you have time, my novice opinion is to take it a little slower, maybe a half pound a day until you get to 15lbs a day. You have 8 months of feeding ahead of you.

Just a novice thought,
Alan

The rule of thumb is they should be eating between 2 and 3 percent of their body weight; I would shoot for the middle 2.5. Just work the grain in over a period of time, they are 735 and 685, I would shoot for 18 pounds a day each.
I would add a half pound a feeding every 3 or 4 days until you get him there.
Just watch their stool and appetite, if you see any changes like Loss of appetite, loose or running stool back up a pound and keep him there for a few days more, then start increasing again. I have also used the powdered pro biotic, adding a scoop a day when ever changing feed, adding feed or environmental changes. If nothing is changing we just give it to them once or twice a week for insurance.

The thing to remember is once they start growing they are gaining 80 to 100 pounds a month, I think it is best to add feed a little at a time, as they seem to grow or you get a weight on them, adjust their feed. I like to add a half pound to a pound at a time to keep up with their growth, not wait and jump 3 or 4 lbs. to get them caught up to their weight.

We also put them on a worming schedule every 45 days, stopping at least 50 days from the show (most wormers say 45 days prior to slaughter.)

We try and work them up to 3% early and taper off to 2% (24-25 lbs) at the end. By feeding them 3% percent early they tend to grow out and not up. I read somewhere where marbling starts during the growing process and external fat is more at the mature stage, by getting them on full feed early they put on the weight, helps keep them from getting rangy.

Calf we fed last year beggining, end, and after picture
302190_2466607360383_615575914_n_640x480_.jpg

2013-06-27_18-49-44_258_4_800x600_.jpg

20130904_080431_800x600_.jpg

I can't add much to what VCC suggests. This is very much the way we feed our steers as well.

We only go 120-150 days from nomination (weigh in) on our shows and carcass contests, so we try to do most of the growing before weigh in and the finishing after. On the carcass steers (especially considering rate of gain contest), we generally try to get them worked up to full feed (all they'll clean up in 30 minutes twice a day) and keep them there. But that usually ends up being 2.5 - 3% of body weight anyway, so what VCC says should work there, too.

miss HD ill try to throw my thoughts of feeding show steers.you have 2 steers so that will push both of them to eat alot of feed an hay everyday.now you need to increase their feed up to 25 or 30lbs a hd a day or as much as they will clean up in a day.now you being in canada an it being ripping cold they may eat alot more feed.an feed them as much free choice hay as they want a day.now for your carcess q.do yall use ulra sound to measure the ribbeye of steers there.i know we use ulra sound to measure cows bulls an steers for carcess data leading bulls cows an heifers.

I know I am jumping in a little late, but had one thing to add. VCC said it right on, the only thing NOT said was how hard it is to get them to gain later on. Our fair is in June also, and almost ALWAYS, around April to May when it starts warming up the steers stop gaining. If you did not push early on, you will never make it up at the end. It is easier to coast one at the end, then to worry and try to push for more gain at the end. Just our experience.

For the last 3 months, we feed Stabilized Rice Bran, a pound a feeding (2 pounds a day). It is cheaper than a lot of the other fat supplements, is not hot, and lays down a nice smooth layer of finish. I think it helps get one where you want it, you put your hands on them they are finished, smooth to the touch and they have a look to them. Along with the finish it really helps put a shine to them.

I know there is always the argument about hair, I will like to add that the daily process to getting good hair has some secondary benefits, when you're working to get hair you are also spending time with your hands on the animal, always a plus, even when a calf does not have a ton of hair, they look fresher than a calf who has not had their hair worked.

It will help when it comes time for showmanship, when you spend 2 hours a day with your calf, have handled it as many time as you have it show in the ring.

When it comes down to the end if you have a calf that sifts it way to the top, the calf with a cleaner fresher appearance will beat an identical calf, that has not had the time put into the hair. Their lines are just a touch smoother, the calf looks softer made, and a tough younger (fresher).

Last but not least, the extra work never hurt any of the kids, keeps them out of trouble and away from the TV and Computer.

Good luck and have fun with this years projects.

an if you want them to have a nice shiney hair coatfeed 5lbs of oats a day a hd 60 days before the show.

The thing to remember is once they start growing they are gaining 80 to 100 pounds a month, I think it is best to add feed a little at a time, as they seem to grow or you get a weight on them, adjust their feed. I like to add a half pound to a pound at a time to keep up with their growth, not wait and jump 3 or 4 lbs. to get them caught up to their weight.

Thank you again so much for the replies. Have been extremely preoccupied and haven't checked on here lately . :oops:

We have the boys at 20 lbs a day of 4H ration. So we have gone through 2800 lbs of feed for 2 steers and a bull calf . :???:

Thanks again, it is very much appreciated . :tiphat:

Sorry to be a pest but I have a question(s) again.

The boys are now on finisher and I have them at 32 lbs a day each . Should I bump them up or is this a good amount to stay at daily until the show ?

They are looking really good ,and getting them to eat a lot has been easy with the temps we have had . Yesterday it was -44 with the wind chill brrrr .

I finally found 4H ration at a better price ,so I am paying 17.3 cents a pound instead of 26 cents . Huge difference and they like the feed better ,it has lots of beet pulp in it compared to the other. Feed costs have become horrendous and the 4H still uses price charts from the stone ages. They have hay at 3 cents a pound and ration at 13 cents a pound . :???:

(They still get free choice 2nd cut hay)

Will take some pics of them later to post .

Thanks !!! :tiphat:

I never fed over 25 a day (plus grain hay) but a cold day around here is low 50's, I would guess 32 is good, as long as they are cleaning it up and not getting too loose, just watch them, if their gaining and putting on mass you should be fine, 2-3 % of their body weight is the rule thumb. Just watch them near the end so they do not get sloppy on you, you want hit your fair with a nice smooth layer of fat, not rolls of fat.

Some calves will eat all you give them but at some point the excess just runs on through, at the price of feed it is not worth it.

If you can post some pictures, would like to see them.

VCC":hskr148m said:
I never fed over 25 a day (plus grain hay) but a cold day around here is low 50's, I would guess 32 is good, as long as they are cleaning it up and not getting too loose, just watch them, if their gaining and putting on mass you should be fine, 2-3 % of their body weight is the rule thumb. Just watch them near the end so they do not get sloppy on you, you want hit your fair with a nice smooth layer of fat, not rolls of fat.

Some calves will eat all you give them but at some point the excess just runs on through, at the price of feed it is not worth it.

If you can post some pictures, would like to see them.

Thanks VCC ! Will definitely keep an eye on them so they don't get sloppy fat. I also agree that at these feed prices I sure don't want them to not utilize all of it . Was talking to other parents last week and most can't get their steers to eat over 20 lbs yet without problems so I think these guys are doing well .

Hopefully I will remember to take the camera out with me tomorrow for pics.

Here is a < not that great > pic of Ace from the beginning of Dec. They were at 20 lbs of grower a day then .

Our two steers are eating a 50 pound sack of winter creep in 12 hours, so that is 25 pounds a day each. One weighs 1010 and the other weighs 950, so I bet you are fine.
I look forward to seeing updated pics! Sounds like you are doing great with them!

Stout little dude, from that one shot he looks like he is the right type. He has some power to him, doesn't he? I think he is looking good.

Too much tag right now to get a good pic , they lay in poop even though they have a foot of clean straw in there shelter.. :roll:

hopefully now that it is warming up again I can get him brushed out and get a pic soon .

Thank you VCC for you advice and replies ! :tiphat:

Thanks so much also to Fire Sweep and everyone that gives us(me) very helpful advice and encouragement , it is gratefully appreciated . :D

Latest posts