Show results

Help Support CattleToday:

gabbyellepaige

Reaction score
I went to a market lamb show and a heifer show this weekend with some friends.
We didn't do so well.
Market lamb: 5th out of 5
PB060313.jpg

PB060312.jpg

[youtube]cCu3pYA5vj8[/youtube]
Heifers:
Black angus: 3rd, 4th, and 5th places.
[youtube]zhCT8TZKOaM[/youtube]

But the cutest thing I've ever seen three year olds showing mini herefords.
PB070321.jpg

PB070319.jpg

PB070318.jpg

Mini Herfs are the bomb! I love them. :D

What did the judge say about your lamb? It looks to me like your lamb just needs more days on feed. In the video, at the very beginning, the last 2 lambs that came in almost looked like they were ready fair already.

He said, she was really tall fronted neat looking from the side but he'd like to square her up in her dock lift her up in her pin set and add some more condition.

Good Job! even if you weren't at the top you still did good, and now have a idea of what improvements your lamb needs. Glad you had fun.

Angus Cattle Girl":h83nhac2 said:
I'm a sucker for Chars... you definitely have a good lookin heifer.

Good job on everything! & with more days on feed, you're lamb will fill out nicely. :D

I sure hope so, I've uped her feed but now it's getting hot again and she doesn't want to eat as much.
Damn Texas weather!

Do you exercise her?
Also, what are her living conditions like? I don't know what part of Texas you live in, but if it hasn't gotten too cold & if there is someplace you could hang up a fan in her pen without her destroying it, I would definitely do it. Helps keep them a little bit cooler.

Angus Cattle Girl":3p0ggvaf said:
Do you exercise her?
Also, what are her living conditions like? I don't know what part of Texas you live in, but if it hasn't gotten too cold & if there is someplace you could hang up a fan in her pen without her destroying it, I would definitely do it. Helps keep them a little bit cooler.

Yes, I walk her everyday and she's really skittish so if I let her out she'll run all over the place.
I don't have the money for a fan at the moment.

It great to see how things are done differently in other parts of the world.
I showed sheep while in school but in breed classes, we don't have market lamb classes like that. We have "fat lambs" class which usually are pens of three and they are not halter trained they are judged in the pen. It has a total commercial focus so they usual aren't fed either, just straight from the paddock most of the time.
Why don't you use halters on your lambs? We would just get our sheep into the ring and stand them up. If the judge wanted to see them walk we would let them walk freely done a laneway in shed usually.
Love the heifer. You obviously have a type you are breeding to, stick to your guns and don't the judges comments have to much sway your breeding programme. To say that if she was smaller see would have one is silly, he should have said that she was not his type and as you would be aware, that "type" varies from judge to judge.

Good luck and keep at it!

Latest posts