Show Results

Help Support CattleToday:

madbeancounter1

Reaction score
I've been waiting for Sam the Dancin'-cow-girl to share her show results with you but she seems to be too busy catching up her school work to notice the computer.

I went to her Parent Teacher Conference last evening and she's got straight A's so far except for Math where she has a B but she still has 4 weeks to get into the A range. Teacher showed me a reading test that she took and according to that test she reads and comprehends at grade level 12.9... I can't be blamed for it... But I am off track.

Showmanship was a warmup for her. Her first time in the ring with other people and animals. She didn't place but she did come out of the ring with a big grin on her face.

Her heifer was the only animal in her class so she won first place by default. We were just a little disappointed that she didn't even get to parade her animal in front of the judge until the drive for the championship. We knew that we couldn't compete against the older heifers in the division but still it would have been nice to have the judge look her over and give a little bit of a commentary. Someone told me that the judge did make some nice comments about her while talking about his decision in the championship drive but they were lost in the comments about the other two heifers.

Ollie, don't ask me the judge's name again because I never caught it... Cattlemom will have to tell us.

Anyway, in the premium sale that evening she got a bid of $500 from our local banker to support her program. That was pretty good seeing that a lot of the other kids that were selling premiums got about the same. Some got more and some got less.

Then she had some fun. Friday evening she dressed her calf up like a baby and herself like a milkmaid. There was a 3-way tie for 1st place that was decided by the kids having to sing a song. Since she was wearing a "dorothy" costume that her mom sewed for her (by the way... her mom is Dorothy from Kansas) she sang "We're off to see the wizard, the wonderful wizard of Oz, because because because because... we don't have any milk". The girl that won and her hiefer were dressed up in JD regalia and you can guess the song she sang...

After the shows were over Sam said that she disappointed to see it end and that she was ready to show again. So I guess when the new AJCA schedule comes out we'll be hitting the road.

Terry,

Sam's heifer looked great - she'll be a good one when she's older!! Sam did a great job showing - it can be a little intimidating out there in the Grand Drive with all those bigger kids & calves, but she did great!!

The judge's name was Brent Murphy - not sure where he's from. I believe he's an Angus breeder.

We had a great week at the fair. We took 5 lambs, a goat, a steer, a shorthorn heifer, & 2 commercial heifers. We had grand champion cloverbud (8 & under) lamb, grand champion market goat and grand champion Shorthorn heifer - the judge also said she was in the top 3 in the Supreme heifer drive - an Angus won it. We also had two additional class winners in the lamb show & the steer & commercial heifers all placed 2nd in their classes. We won both divisions of cloverbud lamb showmanship, and took 5th out of 13 in junior lamb showmanship. Needless to say I'm very proud of my kids - they've all worked very hard all year & were rewarded at the fair!!

We're off to district fair this weekend....

Congrats to Sam & Cattlemom's kids. But most of all, congrats go out to you the parents. Without involved parents, kids never get to participate in these events. Takes a lot of time & $$$. Hats off to all the parents for supporting their kids.

Kelly,

I didn't get to see your kids in the other shows but I have to say that Levi's heifer was top notch. I know that you told me that you won big in the lamb show but I didn't realize how big... that's great!

Latest posts