Show Question

Help Support CattleToday:

firsttimeshowdad

Reaction score
Just participated in our first show this weekend with my daughter. It was a fairly large show...state fair. I was watching a man across the aisle from us groom his cattle for the morning show. He walked up to the bull and pulled a syringe from his coat and injected something into the bull's mouth and then carefully moved over and repeated the same thing to a heifer. What could he have been giving these animals? I did not ask him because he seemed as if he was trying to hide what it was he doing. Are drugs administered like that illegal or unethical? What worries me is if this is illegal or unethical what message does it send since both animals went on to win their divisions! Comments appreciated since I have no clue what is going on.

Did you notice that the cattle were jittery or spooked easily? Did you see what color the liquid is. It could have been ACE(orange brown color) or thorozine. These are administered as sedatives. But no one knows what it really was, like she said ^^^^^^ it may have been a probiotic(gets them to eat and drink). No body will ever know what it was.

Was it a large white syringe? Several things come to mind, for example Calf Calm. Given about two hours before showing to calm the animal. Walk over and ask him. Anyone who cheats gives us all a bad name.

As the others have said, no one knows.

As for illegal and unethical:

The illegal issue can only be answered by reading the rules of the show. And too, the fact as to whether or not it was given by vet instructions or not (again refer to show rules).

The unethical question often is a matter of opinion rather than rule. I tend to err on the side of if I have to wonder then it probably is unethical. We don't use calming drugs on our cattle; we don't pump them to add "spring of rib"; etc. Some folks do one or both and many others. Many folks will go as far as doing surgery on their animal to make them appear different. If we don't win with the natural animal, then we just don't win. To our family it's not about winning anyway; it's about spending quality time together. Sure it's fun to win, but it's not everything.

legal/ethical possiblilties... 1. Calf calm 2. Probiotc paiste 3. Vitamin b 4. Anythig rx'd by a vet.
Unethical possibilties vary but the items that first come to mind are ace and thorazine. With that said it is best not to open a rumor mill if an accusation is not true. If you really want to know just be nice and ask or look. But youll probably need to get to know the guy first. Gossip can be as destructive as cheating when the kids are concerned. My kids always knew who cheated. Sometimes we beat them and sometimes we did'nt. The important thing is teaching them that real winning is done on a level playing field. Integrity will always win the day.. Maybe not the show but it will win at the end of the day..

I did visit more with the family over the weekend and found out they do use Ace and have in the past. I did not confront them about what was done since I was not familar with the rules of the show. After looking at the show rules it states no drugs administered except by a licensed vet and nothing to affect the performance or alter the look of the animal may be administered. Now that was talking about a market animal and this was a breed show so that might be the loophole. I guess we learned something this weekend, win at all cost is the the slogan for some.

One thing I forgot....at the champions on display event Saturday afternoon the heifer did not attend. When I asked why I was told she didn't handle crowds well and the noise. I told the lady I thought she did great during the morning and she told me that was different. The bull did attend but was not the calm guy that won in the morning...he kept circling during the whole thing. I think I have my answers.

I don't fool with the shows much, we go to one a year. I do try to go watch a few if i can. You are right you have your awsners. I happens more than it should .

Well, I know exactly what you are saying. Some people have a win at all costs attitude. We just got back from state fair, some had got caught pumping steers up, had a big meeting lawyers and all, held up the show for 2 hours. I think they finally "withdrew" from the show, should've been banned like the rules say, but I guess rules only apply for some. We've never will win if we have to cheat, it just isn't worth it. It doesn't teach the kids a thing except getting things the easy way, and how many times in life do you get things the easy way? Not very many...... We've seen calves aced, calf calmed, and most of it amounted to lack of work on the showman's part. We've had calves that were "first time to towners" and you have to take that all in stride after a couple of hauls they settle right down, and act like no big deal. But, my advice to first timers is do what's right, if it's illegal don't do it winning is never that important. Some have to win and some have to lose, next time it may be different. The main thing is take your project have fun and if you learn about taking care of cattle and feeding out right and good health practices you've learned alot. Like the saying goes, "if it don't feel right, DON'T do it."

Calf Calm (or Calm Calf) and other products sold over the counter is legal. So, I'm not sure that giving Ace is against the rules, if it is prescribed by their vet legally. Giving the animal a tranquilizer does not in any way make them a better looking animal. It MAY make them relaxed so you can show them better -but better yet, it makes them more controlable so you are not upsetting all the other animals in the ring -it does become a safety issue.

But, there are breeders that every animal in their string gets "something" before every show. My beef is with those breeders pumping their animals. THAT makes them look better and can make the difference if they win or not.

Obviously the guy didn't care that anyone saw him, he did it out in the open. We've been accused of cheating when we didn't so I hesitate to accuse others.
Somebody is always going to push the envelope.

I've had Brahmans lay down in the ring before.. and I've NEVER used anything on them. It is pretty embarrassing, but not unusual. I've also had them lay down in the trailer and now want to get out! :nod:

Latest posts