Show Quality Herf Heifers?

Help Support CattleToday:

WisRose

Reaction score
My boys have shown market steers in the local county fair and they would like to advance to a state level. These are two of our own reg. Herefords. Are they show quality?
This is a April, World Class out of an H 8E Embracer dam.
006.jpg

This one is a March, Independence out of a Hallmark dam.
013.jpg

They are both very feminine fronted from what I can tell by the pics. They could use a little more thickness in the rear quarter, but I think their muscle is adequate. It would be easier to tell about the thickness and structural correctness with a rear view pic. Good luck with them!

Take a look at the photos on the "breeds" page of Iowahawkeyes, these calves are aprox. the same age as yours, it will be a good comparison.

I think they are okay. They have good bone and depth but their rear leg and hip structure on both is not good for a show heifer. They need to be fed harder for a show heifer but I've definitely seen worse.

Thanks for the replies. We've been to a few shows ,just recently the World Beef Expo in Milwaukee, to watch. Quite a few of the area breeders show calves that they've bought from big breeders. Shows how tough the compitition gets. I don't know if we want to get into the politics of showing. I enjoy seeing other Hereford cattle and wish the boys could get away with showing our own stock and just have fun. We are limited to a few head because of owning only 35 acres. We will calve a whole 7 females this spring :nod: . It's hard to get good pictures, they never seem to do the animal justice. If I get around to it I will get some of the other two heifers we have.

Excellence is never political. We got beat plenty of times by politics. But for some pore ol boys from central Texas, we did quite well when we brought the right cattle into the show ring. Concentrate on your quality, That means raising high quality kids and cattle, in and out of the showring. Then everything else falls into place. Getting poloitc'd from 1st to second ends up being of great value when you you've done it right. So, if you guys want to show at a more competitive then do your homework with the kids and the cattle. We started with loosers and ended up quite well. No politics, but plenty of banners, trophies, buckles and great memories. Never one a major stock show but got plenty of firsts and divisions. On top of that, I have two fine young sons who are well on their way to leading productive helpful lives. One on a collegiate livestock judging team and one in law school. Early lessons of travel, competition, hard work and learning cattle helped shape them. I'm probably waxing pilisophical but since you may never do this for a living, its more about raising future leaders than a first class show string.

You don't have to have a ton of animals. We had 17 herfs this year and will have less than a dozen next year. You just have to keep improving every year.

Avalon":1o1st02x said:
Excellence is never political. We got beat plenty of times by politics. But for some pore ol boys from central Texas, we did quite well when we brought the right cattle into the show ring. Concentrate on your quality, That means raising high quality kids and cattle, in and out of the showring. Then everything else falls into place. Getting poloitc'd from 1st to second ends up being of great value when you you've done it right. So, if you guys want to show at a more competitive then do your homework with the kids and the cattle. We started with loosers and ended up quite well. No politics, but plenty of banners, trophies, buckles and great memories. Never one a major stock show but got plenty of firsts and divisions. On top of that, I have two fine young sons who are well on their way to leading productive helpful lives. One on a collegiate livestock judging team and one in law school. Early lessons of travel, competition, hard work and learning cattle helped shape them. I'm probably waxing pilisophical but since you may never do this for a living, its more about raising future leaders than a first class show string.

I agree completely. We may never do very well in the showring, but we have some great young men who are well on their way to leading successful lives. Sometimes the lessons learned while trying to win are the best ones.

WisRose":2mmmhkpl said:
Thanks for the replies. We've been to a few shows ,just recently the World Beef Expo in Milwaukee, to watch. Quite a few of the area breeders show calves that they've bought from big breeders. Shows how tough the compitition gets. I don't know if we want to get into the politics of showing. I enjoy seeing other Hereford cattle and wish the boys could get away with showing our own stock and just have fun. We are limited to a few head because of owning only 35 acres. We will calve a whole 7 females this spring :nod: . It's hard to get good pictures, they never seem to do the animal justice. If I get around to it I will get some of the other two heifers we have.
Did you watch the Supreme Drive on Saturday night??

Decent heifers, I like the first one best. There are always going to be these huge breeders who always have perfect cattle, but as long as you put your best effort into it and your kids are having fun that's all that really matters. They will learn a lot showing, I know I did! Good luck!

No reason why you can't show them. They are good functional cattle. May not be champions, but still good heifers. Just make sure you have fun!

They should be shown. Sometimes you can get a judge that likes more "cow" type females rather than just a showy one. Those are the judges I usually like.
Don't think that showing is just for the big outfits, the small ones can win just as easily. Plus, getting out there enables you to get to know the big outfits, and possibly make some purchases, or get tons of ideas to use on your own place.

I like the first one. If you want to show them then do so but HAVE FUN. Someone is always last, my daughter has been and she just shrugs it off and says what can we A-I to next year dad.

Latest posts