Show Prospects

Help Support CattleToday:

greatgerts

Reaction score
Here are pics of 2 heifers that I intend on showing next year. I have a lot more that I am planning on showing, but I only have pics on these so far. Pics were taken mid-October. First heifer is a Feb. heifer, and the second is a March heifer. Let me know what you all think.

LR_83-110.JPG

Harding_92-8.JPG

I would like to try and find some kids to help out showing. They are finally bringing gerts back to the missouri state fair next year, and I am going to try and take as many as I can to help with numbers. I've been to many places this year looking for top females to haul, and these are only 2. I just bought a MC Nugget daughter out of MC Veronica this past weekend. I also picked up a Hatchet heifer in July that has excellent growth and a +20 TMAT, which is the highest for a female in the Santa Gertrudis breed, and breeding her to top bulls to help that will keep those numbers up for many generations. I hope to flush her next fall and really see my numbers take off.

Good luck trying to find "some kids that will help out". I've heard breeders complaining all year that they can't find kids that want to work that hard. There's a local breeder that has offered to "give" a heifer, and pay for the feed/ fuel and show costs, and he hasn't had any takers. Not like years ago, when kids would jump at the chance.

TheBullLady":3o5arqao said:
Good luck trying to find "some kids that will help out". I've heard breeders complaining all year that they can't find kids that want to work that hard. There's a local breeder that has offered to "give" a heifer, and pay for the feed/ fuel and show costs, and he hasn't had any takers. Not like years ago, when kids would jump at the chance.

That's basically the same thing that I am working towards. The bad thing is, there aren't that many 4-H groups or FFA chapters close anymore.

I like the second heifer looks better right now but you never know. They're nice, good luck!!!

What a refreshing change to see some Santas posted. We usually only seem to see Herefords or Angus (or lookalikes). I like the second heifer but you never know. I always have trouble getting young ones to work for me. Seems they are more interested in sitting on their rear ends. I'm still waiting for a 17 year old to turn up to help me at our local show,thats almost two years ago now. Post some photos when they are ready to be shown will you?
Colin

Ah, Colin I would be happy to come and work with you! You too, greatgerts, though the long-distance thing might be a problem ... and I'm pretty sure I'm too old for 4-H ... lol

I have the same trouble trying to find kids to help with the greys. Competent kids, that is. All the schools at the moment seem to have plenty of novices, which is fine I can deal with one or two of them but when you have ten animals never been to a show before, you need someone with a bit of experience.

Keren, I wish I lived in Australia sometimes, I bet I could help out some. I've shown a time or two ;-) I'm afraid it's a whole different ball game in the hair/fitting/clipping deal over there though. I'm used to clipping a calf for over ten hours and then gluing them to the 9's, with building the legs, flank, fore rib, and all that and then paint. I don't know how you do things specifically, but the folks that I know over on the Big Island (as my dad calls it) don't fit anywhere near like how we do here...I'm a fast learner though!

For what it's worth, I like both heifers, especially the 2nd one..don't know a whole lot about Gert's, but we have their more mild-weather cousins, Shorthorns!

shortyjock89":373w27pb said:
Keren, I wish I lived in Australia sometimes, I bet I could help out some. I've shown a time or two ;-) I'm afraid it's a whole different ball game in the hair/fitting/clipping deal over there though. I'm used to clipping a calf for over ten hours and then gluing them to the 9's, with building the legs, flank, fore rib, and all that and then paint. I don't know how you do things specifically, but the folks that I know over on the Big Island (as my dad calls it) don't fit anywhere near like how we do here...I'm a fast learner though!

For what it's worth, I like both heifers, especially the 2nd one..don't know a whole lot about Gert's, but we have their more mild-weather cousins, Shorthorns!

My preference is the second one too, but she is not breaking as easy as the first. I have 8 heifers and 2 bulls that I am working with now, and of course, some lead decent, some lock up, and some just flat out try to get away. The first one is my dad's and I think she will make a real good cow, she weaned at 620. The second weaned just under 600. Not sure of the exacts; I'm at work right now!
Shorty, what part of central IL are you from? I'm an hour south of st louis, so that may be a bit far for you to travel. If you'd show a Gert, you probably wouldn't know what to do with your free time. we dont have to do all of that clipping (just a short clip), no glue, building hair here and there. It's really nice not having to drag all of that equipment to the shows!

TheBullLady":3tmne7xx said:
shoo- I wish we had breeders like that around here

Latest posts