Show me your culls...

Help Support CattleToday:

mitch2

Reaction score
This is my 1st pick to go... I talked about her last year, she only fills up on the right side of her udder, the other half - nothing. Her calf (pictured) seems to do alright at the beginning, but then falls off...

halfbagcalf.jpg

This is hubbys 1st pick to go... most skittish of the bunch... and she doesn't put enough into her calves

skittishblack.jpg

This one is a disappointment...she slipped her calf her 1st year bred, and became a fall calver, which I am not apposed to, because it enables me to market some beef in the spring and I have buyers that like that. We weaned her calf early this year, just because it worked for us. Her problem is her tits, they popped when she bagged for the 1st time and still look horrid!

fallbadtits.jpg

Michele

That gray cow with the big tits has to go big time. It took me several years after inheriting some bad uddered cows to get rid of them all. I had to help way too many calves nurse because the tits were too big to get in their mouths. Have one 5 year old now that will be shipped this fall because her tits have gotten too big. No problems yet, but it will happen sooner than later.

House_1.jpg

This one was on our cull list this year. In fact, she has already taken her one way trip to McDonalds. Her udder hung so low the calves could not nurse. She also had some problems walking on her rear legs.

Destiny_Meadows_010.jpg

Here's my soon to be cull. Always done a great job but this year when she calved her back teats were huge, her back was long and low and the front teats were jerked up and had very little milk. Had to tube the calf several times, milk the cow out several times as well. Calf is now nursing but only surviving plus we still catch her and tube her once a week. Cow is giving a little more milk but still not enough to do much good...... She won't be around next year. :cry2:

No pics but will share my guidelines for culling.

Cull:
Any cow that does not raise a calf to weaning, for any reason. Born dead to lightning.
Any cow with any udder problem.
Any cow that is un-sound.
Any cow with a bad attude.
Any cow with poor phenotype or calf quality.

My target is to cull 10% of my cow herd every year and replace them with my best heifers of that year.

Paul T

Here's my 'old' heifer. She is walking that thin line. If she doesn't settle this year then she goes in the freezer (I MEAN it this time! :nod: ).

07-09-08007.jpg

Picture is a couple of years old. Old girl prolapsed before calving this year.

Wild Cattle":1ha88mdu said:
...My target is to cull 10% of my cow herd every year and replace them with my best heifers of that year.

Paul T

Do you buy new bulls every year, lease different bulls, AI, or line breed?

Cow prolapsed before she had the calf and then 1 month +/- later prolapsed again.....

brenham_cows_038.jpg

Even if I am happy with all the cows in a herd, I will still cull the bottom and replace them with my best heifers of that year. If my program is working as it should I would expect my cows in the top twenty% of the herd to produce heifers that are better than the cows in the bottom 10% of the herd. Cull the bottom every year.

Paul T

When getting cows with bad udders/teats, do you know where the bad genetics are from - the bull or the cow? How are you all judging the udder-making ability of bulls you buy? Seems there ought to be udderability scoring of beef bulls.

In an ideal world, everybody would take the time to go out to the field and look at their prospective sires' moms; but too often folks read a catalog, go to a sale, and buy a bull based on what he looks like. One would hope that seedstock producers would castrate bulls out of cows with bad udders or structure; but some do not.

djinwa":351x5ex5 said:
When getting cows with bad udders/teats, do you know where the bad genetics are from - the bull or the cow? How are you all judging the udder-making ability of bulls you buy? Seems there ought to be udderability scoring of beef bulls.

We have a cow here ( not ours) that has a bad udder which she inherited from her dam. I knew when she was born she was going to have a bad udder like her mom and she does, The calf nurses ok. if it were ours she would of been gone as a feeder.

Santas and Duhram Reds":7r1pctgo said:
I have two on my list now. 1 with hardware trouble and a 1st calf heifer that got milk fever in 2 of quarters.

Milk fever or mastitis?

Those three got loaded, but it was a hair raising event. That black "skittish" cow, turned into a KILLER COW in the corral. Of course hubby got called out, so that left me and begging to hubby's brother to come over to help. Various kids located on the outside of the corrals, specifically at the gate where it is the lowest. Me, BIL, and trucker got chased up the fence more than once. In the end, she was loaded and no-one was hurt.

Weights - Red = 924 ... Black = 1068 ... Grey = 1280

Check in hand, all is right :)

Michele