show heifer finisher ration choices?

Help Support CattleToday:

soonerboy

Reaction score
We are having trouble deciding between different feeds to switch our show heifers on to. Martindale finisher is 10.25 bag, Purina showchow fitters edge is 11.00, Acco showmaster finisher is 10.75 and Moormans finisher is 9.75 a bag. We've heard different things about each of the above but need advice from someone that really shows and feeds alot of these feeds. If you have positive or negative experiences with above feeds please post it. This is for my kids and want to do their best.

Depends a lot on your animal and the judge. Breeding heifers or market heifers?

I don't feed any kind of finishing ration to a breeding heifer. Finishing rations are designed to put fat on the animal to make it slaughter ready. I use a ration that still has the protein, but cuts out a lot of the calories. I try to make the primary feed for heifers hay, with a little feed to make sure they get enough protein. Too hot a ration can result in a heifer that will always have foot problems.

But judges have different takes on it, and some want the breeding heifers just as fat as the steers. I personally don't think that's the way to make a good cow.

We feed a high quality grass hay (bahia for us) and a little bit (1-1.5% bodyweight) of a 16% protein 2.5% fat feed. The show heifers have a round bale in a hay ring and get fed the feed twice a day.

I've fed MFM before and personally i dont think its great, just average.
I really perfer ShowMaster, if you can get the feed specially designed for heifers, thats better
but it can be hard to find. I think it just gives hem and extra umph and gives them a fresher look.
It's medicated and everything, unlike MFM where its just feed.

Of those brands I prefer purina (fitters edge). However, in most situations I would only feed a developer to a show heifer. as opposed to a finisher. Finishers are too hot. If you are glued to those 3 mills go purina but stay away from the finisher.

Latest posts